IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain

Kim

A few parting shots of this colorful island: the hotel gardens, the city, the waterfront...

post-216-088065000 1320524124_thumb.jpg~~~post-216-038745900 1320524144_thumb.jpg

post-216-062378100 1320524203_thumb.jpg~~~post-216-048648200 1320524380_thumb.jpg

Here's that jacuzzi I mentioned, but nobody was using it...

post-216-064228600 1320524478_thumb.jpg

Walking around town...

post-216-036028300 1320524697_thumb.jpg~~~post-216-067304300 1320524671_thumb.jpg~~~post-216-074407700 1320524773_thumb.jpg

post-216-024937100 1320524875_thumb.jpg~~~post-216-044472300 1320524956_thumb.jpg

...along the waterfront...

post-216-027369300 1320525026_thumb.jpg~~~post-216-067915700 1320525171_thumb.jpg

My thanks and appreciation to all the botanical people on the Island of Tenerife, and special thanks to Toby Spanner for coordinating the trip and keeping us mostly on schedule. It was a memorable meeting, a truly wonderful place to visit, and if any of you get the chance, I would highly recommend a visit to Tenerife.

Cheers,

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

A parting shot:

post-216-029312900 1320527665_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim,

First of all, thanks for all the additional great photos and commentary! The one from La Cuadra San Diego in post # 75 sure brings back some memories (as do all the others), and seeing Jeff pay special attention to those pork ribs and then go for it, is pretty priceless! :rolleyes: I happen to have two additional photos, probably taken within minutes of the ones in #75. The first one shows Christine and Jeffry Brusseau and Kathleen Grant, and in the second one Larry Noblick and Kim are diving in for the ribs, while Tom Jackson seems to be deliberating his next move. :lol:

Bo-Göran

post-22-000739600 1320547435_thumb.jpg

post-22-027857200 1320547440_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Finally, I would also like to take this opportunity to express my appreciation for the outstanding job that Toby Spanner, with the help of Carlo Morici, did in order to plan and execute this IPS BOD Meeting and related events, in such a perfect way. And that heartfelt appreciation also goes out to everybody else in Tenerife, who in some way were instrumental in making this such an enjoyable event. From Hotel Botánico (absolutely outstanding) to the excursions and the amazing meals that we all so thoroughly enjoyed. Definitely perfect, from beginning to end! :) Thank you! :)

Bo-Göran

And, seems only appropriate to finish this thread with a picture of Kim, our "official unofficial photographer", in action. Thank you Kim for creating this thread, with all these great photos and your outstanding commentary. :)

post-22-073860000 1320547797_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

what hotel is that in post # 81,kim? beautiful grounds & that jacuzzi is amazing!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Paul, those are the grounds of the Hotel Botanico where the meeting was held and most directors stayed. The grounds were expansive and beautifully planted, and included koi ponds, bridges, fountains, statuary, even a pair of black swans. That jacuzzi setting was clever, inside a stone grotto, ferns and palms growing just outside. There were many asian elements in the gardens to go with the hotel's "Oriental Spa" theme. I have 812 more photos I could post.... (just kidding!)

Kim Cyr

the food looks great,what were the stand-outs in that dept.?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

We were fortunate to enjoy some very memorable dinners arranged especially for the IPS group. These were very high quality regional cuisine, beautifully presented, and accompanied by wonderful Spanish wines. One standout dish was some sort of roast pork, cooked for 40 hours. :drool: Tender, very tender. It's an island, so of course seafood is abundant: bacalao, langostinos, paella, for example. You could go anywhere in town and get a delicious pizza very cheaply, with local beer or very decent Spanish wines, and spend less than 10E per person. The area was wall-to-wall restaurants, something for every taste.

Kim Cyr

Thanks for pictures. Very impressive.

The island of Tenerife and especially the region of Oratava (town of Puerto de la Cruz)

has rightly earned the label as the island of eternal spring.

You did not have time to visit Loro Parque which houses the largest collection of parrots in the world

as well as an impressive penguinarium, delfinarium, aquarium and of course a massive Kentia Palm Forest?

post-1782-088027700 1320750535_thumb.jpg

post-1782-007594500 1320750565_thumb.jpg

Hello Harry, thanks for adding your photos! That's a lot of kentias!

Unfortunately, I did not visit the Loro Parque, but others did. You can find palm photos taken at Loro Parque as posted by Tono Datil here.

Kim Cyr

Kim, what a fantastic job you did putting this very enjoyable thread together. Stunning photography all the way. Pete

Aw, thanks Pete, your kinds words are greatly appreciated. :) So glad you enjoyed it.

Kim Cyr