IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So very tired...

tropicalb

10 pm here Monday night and it's already down to 34F...i really can't stand a whole lot more of this...it's getting very bothersome.

I asked Bo to talk to Pele for us and to have her send us some warm winds....

He's on the case.

I am beyond tired. Eight days at/below freezing out of the last nine.  Lows into the below 20F on three days with 15+ hours below freezing, more 12+ hour freezing days.  

I needed a break from this depression (and my back pain), so I went into Fresno this afternoon. Lots of heavily yellowed (or more) Queen palms. I noticed a bunch of W. filifera with fronds becoming limp. From a distance they look like tall tropical palms with an emergent spear rising high above the drooping foliage. Several W. filifera (or hybrids) at my place have burned fronds.

Tired of wrapping/unwrapping plants.  Ice on front pond (full shade) has not melted in five days.

Bali is looking so enticing these days.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

So far I am at 41 at 12:40 and tired of all the waiting and watching and not knowing what to expect anymore.  Expect it to get to mid 30's tonight but what is really making me tired is all the late hours I am staying awake just to make sure everything is ok

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I got down to 29 again last night.  :(

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Got down to 33.8 last night which is actualy 2 degrees colder than it was yesterday morning.  Its better than it was on Sunday morning but still doesn't look good.  at 11:30 it is currently 42.3 and steady but forecasted to be down to 34.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Well that cold finally came here... It's 7am and 21.9f in my yard right now..ugghhh..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby,

Accuweather is barking about how bad the January 15-31 time frame is going to be in the east.  I guess time will tell.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Bobby- Sorry to hear its coming your way. At least you are well prepared. We never expected this...

30F in back again the AM  :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bobby- Sorry to hear its coming your way. At least you are well prepared. We never expected this...

30F in back again the AM  

I know Bill... Believe me, I feel your pain.. I couldn't imagine all my stuff outside right now exposed to these temps.... I woke up last night 3x just to check on the heaters in all my enclosures.... I my power goes out, I'm F@#$ed...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

Accuweather is barking about how bad the January 15-31 time frame is going to be in the east.  I guess time will tell.

Ray

Yeah, I know Ray..... our good friend Elliot Abrams..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I'm sorry to hear all that cold there and i have it "warm" over here ... I hope for you guy's it will stop soon and don't get to much damage ...

They also expect for next week colder tempetures and maybe also some light freezes and maybe snow :(

Robbin

Southwest

Joe Bastardi, Elliott Abrams and Henry Margusity.....the three weather musketeers.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 17 2007,11:17)

Joe Bastardi, Elliott Abrams and Henry Margusity.....the three weather musketeers.

I subscribe to the pro site as well.

However, not one of the 3 musketeers, as you call them, ever talks about the weather out here. They are so east coast focused. It really bums me out since I think that they are very astute. Sure, some of their long range forecasts don't work out, but they have a pretty good track record. They just never go west of the Rockies.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

However, not one of the 3 musketeers, as you call them, ever talks about the weather out here. They are so east coast focused. It really bums me out since I think that they are very astute. Sure, some of their long range forecasts don't work out, but they have a pretty good track record. They just never go west of the Rockies.

That's cause you guys usually don't have as many events going on as we do - It usually stays Sunny & Storm-free out there.  In the Northeast we get all kinds of storms all the time and in Florida you get hurricane activity...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 17 2007,16:30)

That's cause you guys usually don't have as many events going on as we do - It usually stays Sunny & Storm-free out there.  In the Northeast we get all kinds of storms all the time and in Florida you get hurricane activity...

I would think that would be even more reason to say something in their blogs that they wouldn't normally do.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I would think that would be even more reason to say something in their blogs that they wouldn't normally do

Typical American Media... they only want to talk about Bad things....

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I can't take this cold now... It's day #2 and it's 24f and dropping fast.. going down to 17f tonight.. slight warm-up for tomorrow and Friday and then blasted with cold again.... :( :( :( :(

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

But Bobby, you're READY!!  :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

But Bobby, you're READY!!  

Yeah, my plants are ready..... But I'm not :(   ok, so I registered 19.8f in my garden this morning - coldest day yet. It really sucks when you get into your car to go to work in the morning and you have to sit there waiting for it to warm up.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS