IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Very Rare" Everglades Palm ? What is it?

The Silent Seed

Something on Ebay sparked me to remember somebody telling me about this "ultra-rare" Everglades Palm - a fan Palm of some kind - can somebody tell me which one it was - if it rings any bells? He said there are only a few left - I'm not sure if he was talking about Paurotis, or some other palm? Thanks

Ken Johnson

Its the swamp cabbage monster. Only for sale on Oct. 31.

It's a cousin to the Great Pumpkin that Linus is always looking for.

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

From a recent Amazon.com search:

Bird of Paradise (Very Rare) - Strelitzia reginae - 10 Seeds

Thank heavens for the PalmTalk Palm Exchange!

post-1155-039289500 1319219069_thumb.jpg

Dang Saint can't we have a little humor here? You provided a good thread to have fun with and you should join us.

BTW we will be happy to tell you that most palms refered to as Everglades do refer to Acceloraphea (and it is FAR from rare) but almost never does it refer to the very rare pumpkin palm.

Saint, Also....Please continue to post but beware we will be watching :rage:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

There used to be two rival sects of alligator worshipers in the Everglades in the late 1930s. One turned the other into a group of Sabal palmettos that still grow there to this day. On Halloween night local kids come to trim their fronds and hear them scream in pain. Then they collect and sell the seeds on eBay.

Oh don't you buy those!!! The palms that grow from them end up sending special signals to fire ants to invade you community or even your home since you'd be growing them indoors. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Perhaps it is Sabal miamensis.

patrick

Bonita, California (San Diego)

Zone 10B

10 Year Low of 29 degrees

6 Miles from San Diego Bay

Mild winters, somewhat warm summers

10 Miles North of Mexico/USA Border

1 acre

Mod, please close this thread, for obvious reasons.

Jude,

They are just having a little fun. Roll with it (as I see you are doing). I haven't read any disrespect yet. If I do, it will be deleted. But as Ken said, Halloween is coming, so allow a little light hearted fun. Join in and become "one of the guys." You've been around long enough to be accepted. In fact, getting a little snark fired in your direction could be considered a compliment - as long as it's contained.

So, to you snarksters, don't prove me wrong. Keep it fun please.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

• 6 months later...

:floor:

Ken Johnson

Ryan

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Here's some photos of my Sabl miamiensis, courtesy Eric, the botanist at Leu Gardens, Ed

post-3109-067049100 1337526811_thumb.jpg

post-3109-065571700 1337526829_thumb.jpg

post-3109-049511600 1337526844_thumb.jpg

post-3109-060803600 1337526865_thumb.jpg

post-3109-034888900 1337526881_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

The obvious (non-joking) answer is Acoellorhaphe wrightii, which of course is not rare at all.

Jody

Perhaps it is Sabal miamensis.

patrick

Yes, and the Sabals bite back, too!

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Here's some photos of my Sabl miamiensis, courtesy Eric, the botanist at Leu Gardens, Ed

Sabal miamiensis is extinct.

Kew considers it a synonym for S. etonia, in which case it wouldn't be extinct (in fact, wouldn't even be). However, I believe I've read in the past that it was extinct in the wild, but existed in cultivation.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Kew considers it a synonym for S. etonia, in which case it wouldn't be extinct (in fact, wouldn't even be). However, I believe I've read in the past that it was extinct in the wild, but existed in cultivation.

Kew has a lot of names that make no sense. Last I heard from Dr. Larry Noblick is that miamiensis is extinct.

Kew has a lot of names that make no sense. Last I heard from Dr. Larry Noblick is that miamiensis is extinct.

I think TJ is touching on divided opinions, as to whether S. miamiensis ever existed. Perhaps the words "extinct" and "distinct" have been lumped together? I'm sure Kew does its best in updating in line with latest scientific papers.

So as not to go off-topic, I'll refer you to a thread from October 2009 that explicitly discusses Sabal miamiensis vs. Sabal etonia. The opening comments are where it's at: http://www.palmtalk....showtopic=20501

What's is in cultivation as S. miamiensis does not even closely resemble S. etonia, Ed

Sabal miamiensis below

post-3109-097636000 1337636066_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

See this topic for a follow-up: Sabal miamiensis vs. Sabal etonia

Give me a little credit John, don't you think I've read all those threads, Ed

Wasn't aimed at you Ed, but for the benefit of the rest of us. It's an interesting debate!

See this topic for a follow-up: Sabal miamiensis vs. Sabal etonia

Give me a little credit John, don't you think I've read all those threads, Ed

Wasn't aimed at you Ed, but for the benefit of the rest of us. It's an interesting debate!

Sorry John, by now you know how I am, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Actually Dr. Noblick stated "presumed extinct". It's native habitat was the Miami coastal area like Brickell, Downtown, etc - all developed. Could possibly be in existance somewhere like on Viscaya property or got planted on some old residential property. Could possibly be found along some inland areas along the Miami River. Dr. Noblick referred to the original description of Sabal miamiensis looking like Sabal etonia but developes much larger fruit.

• 4 months later...

Ken Johnson

Ryan

:floor:

Here's Leu's Sabal miamiensis, a week ago:

post-275-0-71264700-1349553615_thumb.jpg

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Here's Leu's Sabal miamiensis, a week ago:

post-275-0-71264700-1349553615_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave, Great photo, I sure would like to include that in Palmpedia, mine's just pushing its first palmate leaf, courtesy Eric, botanist at H.P. Leu Gardens, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif