IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wow that's the biggest one of those I have ever seen

redant

I don't have any red Keds to compare it to, nor could I get them up there anyway so nothing to compare this to but this palm has by far the most mass, both length and width of any palm in my garden. The freshly opened fronds are a impressive site as well. I have 2 in the garden, the one with the emerging spear still showing some damage from last winter, the second is more protected and just stunning.

post-202-075916600 1319213513_thumb.jpg

post-202-040286900 1319213528_thumb.jpg

post-202-028208000 1319213540_thumb.jpg

post-202-070482300 1319213549_thumb.jpg

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I love it when I see these around here. They are often so tall and spread so wide that noticing them is not an option.

There are many kinds and you palm may be no no. I have seen them with even bigger trunks.

P.S. Just had to do the play on words.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I remember my caryota gigas growing very happily in my yard until I saw a big one at the botanic gardens and I couldnt get home fast enough to dig it out. Big caryotas are massive things. I have a phoenix reclinata here that takes up so much space ... about 10 metres in every direction ... so now I read up on eventual sizes before I plant anything. Naturally it would be even wiser to read up before buying something, but you know how it is when the palm shopping frenzy hits.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I remember my caryota gigas growing very happily in my yard until I saw a big one at the botanic gardens and I couldnt get home fast enough to dig it out. Big caryotas are massive things. I have a phoenix reclinata here that takes up so much space ... about 10 metres in every direction ... so now I read up on eventual sizes before I plant anything. Naturally it would be even wiser to read up before buying something, but you know how it is when the palm shopping frenzy hits.

Peachy

Massive is the reason why I bought this palm, and the fronds are just amazing like a giant fern.

Jupiter FL

Something to remember about those giant Caryotas, "What grows up, must come down". Those great big ones have a nasty habit of falling over in storms after they reach maturity. They are so big that when they fall, they take everything with them.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I had a large C.no that is in its second year of seeding. However, the top fell out of it and as Jerry mentions it takes everything with it. They are great looking palms but just don't seem to last all that long here ion SoFla. The one I fear when it seeds is my Arenga pinnata. I hope I am long gone when that happens!

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Something to remember about those giant Caryotas, "What grows up, must come down". Those great big ones have a nasty habit of falling over in storms after they reach maturity. They are so big that when they fall, they take everything with them.

Yes they are planted far away from any structure just for that reason, I knew what I was getting into.

Jupiter FL

Oy, mein Gott, so wonderful!

Yeah, just like a gigas, only white where gigas is dark.

How big is it?

I'm bracing myself for the answer.

Here in the Land O' La La Ha Ha No-bra, they don't make it well.

sitting .. . . braless . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just love those giant Caryotas. I can't wait for mine to get some size and height. Just to be safe, I got the C. gigas, C. maxima, C.obtusa, and C. urens. I had a C. ochlandra, but it died. I'm gonna have a C. gigas growing about forty feet away from my Metroxylon salomonense. Also have some slow growing Corypha utan, but the Corypha umbraculifera didn't make it. Not sure how much space all of these palms will be taking up, but I need to save some room for about another hundred fifty species (none as large as these I hope). Somehow, I think my garden is going to be ready for my grandchildren to view.... but I'm having fun, that's what it's all about.:D

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

How big is it?

The spear is about as big as the trunk, about 12 ft of each. Only been in the ground for about 3 years from a 7gal pot.

Jupiter FL

How big is it?

The spear is about as big as the trunk, about 12 ft of each. Only been in the ground for about 3 years from a 7gal pot.

W H O A ! ! ! !

BIG HORSE!

That's expletive expletive fast!

Yowza, gotta go and scream

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.