IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal palmetto Lisa

PalmatierMeg

One of my top 5 fan palms.. The quest continues trying to locate a few 1-3 gal specimens for sale.

-Nathan

I would like to know as well. Great looking mutant.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

So hard to photograph the strangeness of these palms....once you have one and feel the plastic like texture it will be much easier to id the seedlings. Those large ones at Bamboo Gardens are crazy cool looking. Here is my little guy.post-97-0-97861700-1423322557_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-21639200-1423322605_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Here is a Sabal with Lisa-like qualities in Savannah, GA. Never had any cold-damage. Two of these emerged out of a batch of S. causiarum seed from Tampa, FL.

DSC_0030_zps8bcd62cb.jpg

And another one.

DSC_0040_zps775ff76b.jpg

And a close up showing some papery ligules.

DSC_0039_zpsc0ec4efc.jpg

There is a third one in the same batch that will throw a variegated leaf every once in a while.

Joe - Those have the fused leaf tips characteristic like 'Lisa", but they may have more splitting then the Florida West Coast 'Lisa". Definitely a mutation on those, its hard to make a determination from just a couple of photos. Do you recall how stiff the leaves are ? Sabal 'Lisa' are very hard (firm) like a mature Bismarckia.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I got mine from a friend below Tallahassee. ..he I believe got them from Luke who used to post on here quite a bit. I believe Luke got the seeds down in Sarasota? .... maybe from the tree near the interstate that has since been moved to the park......I think?

Hey David,

Nice palm. I originally collected the seed from your 'lisa' in Fort Myers. Im growing more of its brothers and sisters out and not selling them, I have a new property to plant them on.

Our friend talked me out of them when they were just wee little strap leafers a couple years ago.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Lol.....John's a nut...a palm nut...I'm always trying to get him to post on here. I still got one of those little agave plants you gave me years ago. It has survived a couple of moves and is getting some size in the ground here. Lost the tag to it years ago....I'm gonna pm the picture of it....see if you can remember what it is. You going to still live part time in Thailand?

I have looked at literally thousands of native sabals looking for a lisa mutation. I too would love one and/or seeds off one.

Below are photos of my Sabal Lisas. The larger one in my Caribbean front garden was a gift from a PTer in May 2008. The smaller one in our garden lot I germinated myself from seeds collected from two formerly "wild" Lisas that have been moved to a Ft. Myers City Palm Park.

Everyone, please read: I have no potted Sabal Lisas and haven't for the past 2-3 years. Nor do I have access to loads of seeds anymore. The palms are too tall to reach where they now reside outside a museum and in easy view from a 4-lane highway. The City would look unkindly on anyone "hacking" on their palms with pole saws and I have no desire to end up in the city jail. So, please, do not contact me asking for palms or seeds. I hope someday my palms will set seeds. If so, I will post a topic at a time of my choosing.

Enjoy the photos

post-1349-0-42844600-1423516982_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-38242300-1423517015_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-19851100-1423517065_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-12186300-1423517119_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-62190200-1423517183_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-58563200-1423517247_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-89018600-1423517299_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-02140700-1423517326_thumb.jp

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Moose - The leaves on those 'Lisa-likes' in Savannah are really stiff. Much more so than S. palmetto or S. causiarum.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

....my guess is this should be added to the FloridaNative plant list eh?

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Moose - The leaves on those 'Lisa-likes' in Savannah are really stiff. Much more so than S. palmetto or S. causiarum.

Joe - I keep thinking about the palm you posted. When you consider the millions upon millions of Sabal palmetto that are out there - this mutated form is pretty darn rare. Since the mutation effect to the leaves is the same as the Lisa, I think it would be safe to call it a "Lisa". The Fort Myers are Lisa's may have a slightly different leaf - not really sure just looking at the photos. If and when the Savannah one seeds - its progeny that has the same mutation should be designated, Sabal palmetto cv. 'Lisa' Savannah form.

Does yours show any evidence that it has flowered in the past. Its at or getting very close to the reproductive maturity stage. Are there any others in the vicinity ? This would be a much sought after form Cali I am certain.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 1 year later...

Update night pics ... decent growth since last year

2016-06-18 22.03.09.jpg

2016-06-18 22.02.39.jpg

• Upvote 3

Awesome, I have eight of these germinate this week so hopefully I get a few Lisas. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

• 2 months later...

Here's my tallest Lisa, I guess it is 9 years old from seed and it's been in the ground since 2013. One of my favourites.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 11

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, Moose said:

Meg may have some "lisa' :winkie:

Meg listed 6-12 month old seedlings in the Sale subforum for much of the past growing season. Buy 'em, grow them up for the next few years to see what you get. Chances of finding 3 to 5-year old plants are close to nil and will cost you $$$ if you do. Time's a wastin' so get a move on.

Meg

Florida

On 20/10/2011 à, palmislandRandy said:

Meg, Here are some pics of the lot. :D The three on the right have gone pinnate, so I assume they are regulars. Do you think they are ready for the ground or wait until this spring or even longer.

-Randy

post-1035-021964000 1319070268_thumb.jpg

post-1035-091663600 1319070302_thumb.jpg

How old are these seedlings ? Do the seedling needs deep pots ?

3 hours ago, dwimss said:

How old are these seedlings ? Do the seedling needs deep pots ?

They appear to be 2-1/2 to 3 years old so were probably germinated from seeds I wild-collected in fall 2008. Sabals need very deep pots (35-40 cm) because of their saxophone stem and deep roots. They also have a prominent heel you must never bury.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

21 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

They appear to be 2-1/2 to 3 years old so were probably germinated from seeds I wild-collected in fall 2008. Sabals need very deep pots (35-40 cm) because of their saxophone stem and deep roots. They also have a prominent heel you must never bury.

For the fist year do you think I can keep in small pots (10cm deep) ?

Something taller would be better. Cut the top off a 2L soda bottle, punch drain holes and use that.

Meg

Florida

• 2 years later...
On 9/17/2016 at 8:59 PM, TonyDFW said:

My young Sabal Lisa in Dallas

IMG_3592.JPG

How did this fare with the storm in February?  Any pics of what this looks like now?  I'm tempted to pick one of these up and found a nice sized one that is available.

• Upvote 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

6 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

Here is Lisa. Now defoliated but survived the big freeze in Dallas 

4E135496-6113-4872-BA87-631B97EF3E6C.jpeg

Incredible!  I just got availability on two of these so I'm going to jump on them but glad yours made it.  Gives me a big of confidence mine will as well should this happen again.

• Upvote 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

• 9 months later...
On 4/24/2021 at 5:45 AM, tlow said:

Incredible!  I just got availability on two of these so I'm going to jump on them but glad yours made it.  Gives me a big of confidence mine will as well should this happen again.

@TonyDFW Any update on this one?  I've got two of these sitting in the garage awaiting spring, with a third on the way (same source as you).  I absolutely love these!

1 hour ago, TonyDFW said:

Here are my Two in Dallas. Almost 1 year after 3F

E8A8AA68-0362-473E-92B9-3DCE97607FE6.jpeg

WOW!  I'm going to have a total of four in the ground here in the spring.. I love these!  Congrats Tony, thanks for the update.