IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal palmetto Lisa

PalmatierMeg

This is my oldest Sabal Lisa, a generous gift from Rusty on Pine Island in May 2008 (thanks, Rusty). It is starting to go palmate and what an awesome palm. I've never seen or touched anything like it. The fronds feel like plastic. I've got it up front in my Caribbean garden.

Sabal Lisa

post-1349-030871200 1319053646_thumb.jpg post-1349-034747500 1319053666_thumb.jpg

post-1349-074798100 1319053702_thumb.jpg post-1349-076063800 1319053712_thumb.jpg

post-1349-028008100 1319053749_thumb.jpg post-1349-045690600 1319053761_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg,

That is a beautiful palm and I hope that my seedlings will be once like your palm.

70% sprouted and grow slow but steady.

Regards

Marc

Nice Meg! Out of 8 seedlings I got from you last year, it looks like 5 of them are Lisas. :D

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Marc & Randy, that's good news. I'm hoping they do well for you

Meg

Florida

I hope to have one of those one day. Are they a var of palmetto or mexicana? I assume they are as cold hardy as regular sabal?

Meg, Here are some pics of the lot. :D The three on the right have gone pinnate, so I assume they are regulars. Do you think they are ready for the ground or wait until this spring or even longer.

-Randy

post-1035-021964000 1319070268_thumb.jpg

post-1035-091663600 1319070302_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I hope to have one of those one day. Are they a var of palmetto or mexicana? I assume they are as cold hardy as regular sabal?

They are Sabal palmetto and every bit as hardy as normal Sabals

Randy, as you are in Boca I don't see why you can't plant them now. Their roots outgrow pots quickly and they need strong roots to feed the top growth. In the ground they can really get their root systems going over the next couple months.

Meg

Florida

Here's what you get if you if you wait. :D This one is a few feet from a freshwater canal at the Deerfield Beach Arboretum, in South Florida. Nice one Jerry :mrlooney:

-Randy

post-1035-052867800 1319114068_thumb.jpg

post-1035-037087900 1319114087_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Meg sent me some Lisa seeds early this year, most of which sprouted and are now in baby pots outside and doing well. (thank you very much for those and others Meg) So Mr Randy, how many decades (centuries, millienia or eons) before mine look like the above photo of that delish specimen ?

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I would guess mine is pushing 4 years old. I got it as a 2-strapleafer in a cone. I hope it looks like the one in Randy's photo in a couple years. It chugs through winter without a whimper so it should do at least as well in Boca Raton. Peachy, you got a few years to wait - sorry. Maybe yours will look like mine in 3-4 years.

Meg

Florida

Tank--good to know :) Meg sold me 3 and they look a lot like Randy's; I was gonna give one to my grandma in Panama City Beach, but it sounds like Meg advises against this...

Tank--good to know :) Meg sold me 3 and they look a lot like Randy's; I was gonna give one to my grandma in Panama City Beach, but it sounds like Meg advises against this...

I think you may have misread her. To quote Meg:

"They are Sabal palmetto and every bit as hardy as normal Sabals"

I think they would do great in Panama City Beach. The few in Savannah looked good after a pretty bad winter.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

One thing about the Streets ( thats Andrews maiden name, he's getting married tomorrow B) )is their humor is so well placed tha tit almost always hits me after a small delay which they (he and his father) build into the joke pourposly. Grandmother indeed.

Many years ago the presentatiom of Sabal Lisa occoured at a South Florida Palm Society and some seedlinds were offered. I know where one is with 4' of trunk.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

One thing about the Streets ( thats Andrews maiden name, he's getting married tomorrow B) )is their humor is so well placed tha tit almost always hits me after a small delay which they (he and his father) build into the joke pourposly. Grandmother indeed.

Many years ago the presentatiom of Sabal Lisa occoured at a South Florida Palm Society and some seedlinds were offered. I know where one is with 4' of trunk.

No time lag with mine Ken.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

• 3 months later...

These are down the road, a ways from my house. My wife says this is for you, Moose--thanks for the lisa!

Andrew - You know you stole that palm! :angry: I donated it as an auction palm for the SFPS meeting and your good fortune was that nobody there had a clue what it was other than "a Sabal". It came from Meg two years ago and is jammed full of roots. My advice - put it in the ground yesterday! :o

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Darn missed out on planting a good palm....Shoot! :lol:

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

These are down the road, a ways from my house. My wife says this is for you, Moose--thanks for the lisa!

This Sabal "Lisa" look very healthy, I really would like to have this strange Sabal cultivar in my garden.

Have this speciment started to flowering?

Ciao

Giovanni

Noci (BA) Italia

350m a.s.l.

Zone 8b

Yeah, it's flowering--I think I'm gonna steal some seed, since that's what I do--STEAL. Moose, way to be happy for a fellow palm enthusiast!

I took these updated photos of my largest Sabal Lisa today. Doesn't seem like it's grown much since October.

Sabal palmetto Lisa

post-1349-094033500 1329432654_thumb.jpg post-1349-042911000 1329432672_thumb.jpg

post-1349-048514800 1329432688_thumb.jpg post-1349-080685400 1329432726_thumb.jpg

post-1349-066349600 1329432744_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

Nice updated shots Meg, looking good and happy!!!

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Here's what you get if you if you wait. :D This one is a few feet from a freshwater canal at the Deerfield Beach Arboretum, in South Florida. Nice one Jerry :mrlooney:

-Randy

Beautiful !!! I think he may have gotten that one from us?

Hi Derek,

Sorry I did not respond to this thread when it first came out. Yes, I got two from you, the big one went into the Arboretum and the little one into my back yard. Must have been at least 4 years ago.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Great Photos Meg! I have an American Sabal, content to inch along in its pot, with huge strap leaves.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

• 1 year later...

I would love to buy 100 seeds of Sabal palmetto 'Lisa'. Just found out about it today...

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

• 1 year later...

Here is a Sabal with Lisa-like qualities in Savannah, GA. Never had any cold-damage. Two of these emerged out of a batch of S. causiarum seed from Tampa, FL.

DSC_0030_zps8bcd62cb.jpg

And another one.

DSC_0040_zps775ff76b.jpg

And a close up showing some papery ligules.

DSC_0039_zpsc0ec4efc.jpg

There is a third one in the same batch that will throw a variegated leaf every once in a while.

• Upvote 2

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Joe,

How many seeds did you start with?

I have about 50 potential Lisa's that are close to showing if they are the real deal. Of those about 15 or so are already seeming to show the characteristics with potentially 10 or so more that have the right feel to the leaf. Is 50% too much to wish for? Probably won't know on most of them until the end of this summer.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

The Lisa-likes started looking funny pretty quickly. I would say after they made their 5th leaf and were in a 2 gal. container. I have no idea what the percentage of Lisa's you would get. I'm going down to Savannah in a couple of weeks ( Southeastern Palm Society Meeting), and maybe those babies will have some seed on them. They certainly are old enough to produce. I'll let you know..

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Here is a Sabal with Lisa-like qualities in Savannah, GA. Never had any cold-damage. Two of these emerged out of a batch of S. causiarum seed from Tampa, FL.

DSC_0030_zps8bcd62cb.jpg

And another one.

DSC_0040_zps775ff76b.jpg

And a close up showing some papery ligules.

DSC_0039_zpsc0ec4efc.jpg

There is a third one in the same batch that will throw a variegated leaf every once in a while.

Wow looks like Sabal x Cocotrinax!

Very nice palm, congrats!

I wish there was some way I could collect seeds and disperse them out to people who will preserve this variety of Sabal.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.