IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

13th Annual Fall - Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza (x2)

Palmarum

Waiting for that picture!

The area in Jeff's yard where the B. alfredii is located, was recently landscaped so it is now hard to see the palm without getting right in front of it. I didn't have time to go over to that section during the Croton Meeting but I still think the one at the nursery is larger. Next weekend is the infamous Searle Xmas party, so I shall take another look at it then.

Ryan

South Florida

- Another busy yet brief moment during Saturday afternoon. The customer on the left had enough plants to require the use of a trailer.

DSC_0777.jpg

- He was loading them and sorting them out with the assistance of Andrea Searle and her soon-to-be son-in-law David.

DSC_0778.jpg

- An actual group inside the shadehouse. Two different couples became interested in the tropical foliage plants and the crotons.

DSC_0779.jpg

- Jeff stopped for a moment to answer questions. The customer on the left was looking for orchids that had a good fragrance.

DSC_0780.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The new croton enthusiasts loaded their cart with 'Dreadlocks' Crotons and one Bromeliad. This one croton cultivar saw a lot of popularity during the Extravaganza, on both weekends. It was featured in two locations in the sales area and people new to the plant got a kick out of the name. There was also a small Licuala grandis tucked in the middle.

DSC_0781.jpg

- The day was wrapping up fast and people continued to come in, more towards the closing time of 5:00pm. The customers on the right had a mix of plants, including unusual palms such as the not usually sold, 'Double' Licuala peltata var. sumawongii.

DSC_0782.jpg

- Since it was such a slow day, Crafton ended up grafting many of Carol Romney's fruit trees. You can see one of them in the middle with two grafts on it. In this scene, Crafton was having his fruit tree knowledge tested by the customer. She is from Surinam and knew her native tropical fruits very well. She was looking for real specific ones, but didn't know the English names for them. He was wracking his brain trying to think of if we had them or not.

DSC_0783.jpg

- I turned to the right in time to capture Jeff as he made a sharp turn and parked one of the tractors under the barn, a few inches from my foot. It was the end of the day and everything was being put away. We all had to wait for the last few customers to leave before we could follow. Sunday was next, the 6th day of this Fall Extravaganza and I was curious as to what would happen.

DSC_0786.jpg

Ryan

(Friday - Saturday - Sunday) - Rain Date Friday, Saturday >|< Sunday

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Are you going to shamelessly promote the 13th Annual Fall sail right up until its time for you to start promoting crap out of the 14th Annual Spring Sale? It’s a shame that there isn’t a section here for sales!!! :wacko:

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

colin Peters

cool pics, awesome making a living doing something you love

aloha

Colin Peters

Thank you Colin, Jeff certainly does love working with plants, he always has. He is at the nursery early six days a week and works in his yard everyday until dark. Himself, his brothers and his dad are working and planning out the Extravaganza a month or more ahead of time. This helps make the Extravaganza the tropical plant event it has become for the last thirteen years.

Tomw

Are you going to shamelessly promote the 13th Annual Fall sail right up until its time for you to start promoting crap out of the 14th Annual Spring Sale? It’s a shame that there isn’t a section here for sales!!!...

Promoting refers to an event that people could still attend or attend in the near future, the 13th Annual Fall Extravaganza is complete however; short of using a time machine, people can no longer attend. This topic is a retelling of a specific plant sale that has already happened and will not happen again, as each Extravaganza is unique with different plants, people, volunteers, happenings and of course weather. Forum members, customers, and my friends enjoy the photos I post and look forward to them and have always repeatedly asked for "more, please more" time and time again. For them I owe the most detailed, accurate and complete topic possible. This does take time. More than I usually have to devote and since I receive no rewards for alacrity, I am in no hurry.

I have never forced anyone to read my topics or view my photos. There is a section here for sales and when it comes time to promote the next one, I will have a topic there, as always. Now, back to the photos...

Sunday, Oct. 16th: A little after 9:00am, rain clouds filling the sky...

- Customers arrived before I did on Sunday morning. As with previous days of the Rain Date weekend the gates were left open for anyone who would arrive today before the scheduled opening of 9:00am. Surprising both Jeff and myself, Palmpedia Forum member Mike (Bullwinkle) {far left} was in attendance for yet another day and brought his friend with him for a second day. Many plant people can not get enough, it is the nature of the beast.

DSC_0789.jpg

- I spent a good amount of time with these two customers as they were looking for a plant for a real specific spot. It was partial shade, in a indoor/outdoor room next to a patio, with natural and artificial light. They had a few choices but left with a Zebra-Striped Elephant Ear, Alocasia sp. They liked the stripes and large leaves.

DSC_0790.jpg

- Well it happened again. The skies opened up and created a steady downpour over the sales area. During a short break in the rain, a pair of familiar customers took their two loads to the registers. They had recently spent time traveling in Costa Rica and had great stories to tell Jeff and I. They were in the country for a month and traveled all over.

DSC_0791.jpg

- It was time again to hide under cover. The rain drove the few of us in the sales area to seek shelter and I continued to photograph from these viewpoints.

DSC_0793.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Crafton
:
"Well, at least we don't have to water today."

- With the rainfall falling in the background I did the math in my head. We got three Extravaganza days with good weather out of six. There was no lightning or thunder and like the Saturday before the rain just kept coming. Crafton brought some more fruit trees under the barn roof and proceeded to graft them. He ended up doing all of them as it rained. :winkie:

DSC_0794.jpg

- A few people who did come on Sunday came prepared...

DSC_0795.jpg

- While others were not affected by the rainfall.

DSC_0796.jpg

- [Voosh!] Time for lunch. :D I got stuck under the white tent around noon so I decided to take a seat and eat.

DSC_0797.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- What I thought would be a temporary downpour turned out to be a full on deluge. It didn't stop. I got on the phone with Jeff and told him no customers were back here and he said it was empty up front. He went on say we might bug out early if it doesn't clear up soon. The rainfall was heavy inside the shadehouse, not forgetting the fact it has to come through the shade cloth first. I had trouble seeing the far side of the shadehouse.

DSC_0798.jpg

- This Fall Extravaganza began this way, so it figures poetically that it would end this way. The plants were happy at least.

DSC_0799.jpg

- I gathered my essential gear and with the use of my handy umbrella I made my way to the overhang up front. Larry, Jeff and I were the only ones still here and we were hanging around waiting for a break in the rain so we could make a run for the cars and go. The lightest inkling of a sale was present and to our astonishment, a pair of customers drove in. They mentioned they were here before and needed just 1 more Gold Mound, 3 gallon plant. So Jeff grabbed an umbrella and walked all... the... way down to the end of the landscape plants to get one Gold Mound. It was a lengthy trek in the rain.

DSC_0803.jpg

- While we were waiting on Jeff to return, Larry and I talked with the customers about their landscaping situation and what they needed in regards to landscape plants. It was a long walk for Jeff so we ended up talking to the customers about different plant groups, including palms and crotons. The flash made Larry blink.

DSC_0804.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Rain, rain go away, at least while we close up and get away. We had one last pair of customers to help and some loose ends to tie up and then the Rain Date weekend would come to a close.

DSC_0805.jpg

"Wait Jeff, you need to go back and get another one."

Jeff
:
"Ahhhh!"

- When he returned, I jokingly told Jeff he had to go all the way back and get one more Gold Mound. He almost freaked out.

DSC_0806.jpg

- The last photo from the day and event depicts Jeff as he was showing the last two customers to the Croton selection. They ended up with a few new crotons. I had to go help Larry load a palm for a late arriving customer who came to load stuff being held in the holding area, so I had to put the camera down. Many of these left over crotons would end up down at the Ramble sale at Fairchild in a few weeks.

DSC_0808.jpg

The severe weather we received during both weekends of the Fall Extravaganza will make it one that sticks in our memories for a long time. It was inevitable that we would get rained out during one sale, yet it turned out better than I had thought. The turnout was great and everyone worked with the rain to get what plants they wanted. We definitely took added notes during this past 'Ganza and will put them to use for the next one.

Ryan

--- ---<

South Florida

It sux to have to open up all that bandwith, like 300 pictures... so I can read like five words of text! :blink:

Edited by Palmə häl′ik

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Tomw

Are you going to shamelessly promote the 13th Annual Fall sail right up until its time for you to start promoting crap out of the 14th Annual Spring Sale? Its a shame that there isnt a section here for sales!!!...

Promoting refers to an event that people could still attend or attend in the near future, the 13th Annual Fall Extravaganza is complete however; short of using a time machine, people can no longer attend. This topic is a retelling of a specific plant sale that has already happened and will not happen again, as each Extravaganza is unique with different plants, people, volunteers, happenings and of course weather. Forum members, customers, and my friends enjoy the photos I post and look forward to them and have always repeatedly asked for "more, please more" time and time again. For them I owe the most detailed, accurate and complete topic possible. This does take time. More than I usually have to devote and since I receive no rewards for alacrity, I am in no hurry.

Go ahead spin this shameless self promotion of a business Sale how ever you want, it still is what it is. You wont let this thread die! Thats why you constantly throw a few more pictures every few days of people standing around, of the rain, plants on a wagon and puddles on a drive. Why dont you put all of this in the area designated specifically for this type of thing, over here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showforum=29 ? OH wait, you all ready have a thread with a lot of the same pictures over there. If forum members, customers, and friends enjoy the photos why cant they see them over at your thread in the sale section? So why start another thread here? Yes thats right theres a lot more people over here for your shameless self promotion of your business. If everyone that sells palms started threads here every time they wanted to promote there business, Palm Talk would loose its appeal for a lot of palm enthusiast (In my opinion). :blink:

Edited by Tomw

North Palm Beach

At least Ryan and Jeff are IPS members...

Although in a way it is a bit self promoting, I don't see it as shameless. The photo quality and commentary are pretty good and entertaining. We lurkers are at least getting some palm (and croton) eye candy out of this. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this, unless they are trying to compete in the nursery business. But, it is not my place to comment on forum policy but I do like the photography. thanks.

I like Ryan's posts. It gives great photography and running commentary. It is seldom that people get to see how a first rate large scale nursery is run. Plus everyone gets to pictures of other forum members, something that does not always happen.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

This is my favorite thread and I really look forward to it each and every year. Dont change a thing!

Mike in Scripps Ranch

Zone 10a, 9 miles from ocean

Ryan, thank you, thank you; more, more! I Look forward to your posts every 6 months! I live most of the time in Vermont and though it has it's own beauty, I love the lush tropical photos in these threads (well truth be told I love most of the photos in PalmTalk), especially as we move into our 4 month winter. As you say no one is forced to read any of it, so please don't let negativity to cause you to cut back on posting these photo journals.:rolleyes:

Susan

Oops duplicate post, but I don't mind saying it again. I love the Extravaganza threads!

At least Ryan and Jeff are IPS members...

whooop de do

now what

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Now what?

Not much...if it is a big whoop de do...why complain about coverage of a palm sale? Go ask TomW what the big deal is. He thinks it is shameless, whereas, most people who are members of IPS disagree. Whoop-de-doo...Have a great day...

Again, thanks for the photos.

Now what?

Not much...if it is a big whoop de do...why complain about coverage of a palm sale? Go ask TomW what the big deal is. He thinks it is shameless, whereas, most people who are members of IPS disagree. Whoop-de-doo...Have a great day...

Why does Palm Talk have a section devoted for Palm Exchange / For Sale? Why post the same thing at both places? Do you need to be an IPS member to offer an opinion here? Dose IPS membership somehow offer some credence to ones opinions or observations; because if so, where do I sign up? :D

Edited by Tomw

North Palm Beach

I didn't realize that IPS logo under my name made me more of a palm enthusiast than others... :blink: Geez. What was I thinking... :angry:

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

...and come to think of it. Last I heard we were all entitled to our opinions... Some choose to voice, some don't. :hmm:

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers Dave. :huh: ...Sorry

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Now what?

Why does Palm Talk have a section devoted for Palm Exchange / For Sale? Why post the “same” thing at both places? Do you need to be an IPS member to offer an opinion here? Dose IPS membership somehow offer some credence to ones opinions or observations; because if so, where do I sign up? :D

Right here. http://www.palms.org/member_application.cfm

• Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Trust me, you didn't "ruffle" my feathers. No need to apologize.

Thanks for your opinion...now shut up! LOL , just joking.

The ironic thing is you keep bumping this thread to the top of the forum so more people can "shamelessly" view it. LOL.

Again, sorry for the interuption, thanks for the photos.

:) Edited by Palmə häl′ik

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Really beautiful plants :drool: and perfect pictures i can only imagine how is when see in true all that palms and other exotics...thanks for sharing :winkie:

Edited by bukezi

Palm enthusiast in cold climate

***USDA Hardiness Zones 7a/7b*** AHS heat zone 7***

I concur with Robert... Ryan provides fantastic coverage to alrge PRA's he's been too.. Biennials AND the Searle sale. he Always takes a long time to do the posting as he wants to get it just right.. I know many of us that are not in the area LOVE to see what we are missing.

Tom, if you have some event that you want to provide as much coverage for in this manor, then I say go for it.

And Ray... were you serious? IPS members PAY to help keep this site up and running! I think THEIR input is INFINATELY more valuble than someone "just passing by".. You can be an enthusiast, but its above and beyond to step up and support this forum we love in a monetary way, so I give IPS members extra respect.

nuff said.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I was a IPS member BTW. I just didn't renew.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

• 2 weeks later...

I have never been to any of Jeffs' sales but i have been there a few times and Jeff was kind enough to give me and my wife a tour and i allways brought home some palms every time. I love his place and i really don't think he needs any advertisement because his nursery speaks for itself.

Besides, what Jeff sells to IPS members is a drop in the bucket compaired to what he sells to landscapers.

I love the pics of the palms and forum members that i would not get to see otherwise.

Thanks for all the hard work you have done Ryan!

Mark

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Here are some photos I almost forgot to post. Those of you reading the topic might remember the following dialog involving the posting of two Beccariophoenix alfredii photos. They were taken during the 'Ganza as a photo request by Peter, with a follow up including photos of the specimen at Jeff's house...

- These two photos were taken as a photo request, but not as a plant for sale, just to see a larger specimen. Along the side road resides this robust Beccariophoenix alfredii.

- It shelters a chunk of sales space and is quickly becoming a phenomenal palm. I was asked to post a photo of the largest one Jeff had and I believe this one ties the one he has in his yard.

Peter

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

Thanks Ryan!

Palmarum

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

"Peter

Thanks Ryan!"

Your welcome Peter. I still have to check to see if the B. alfredii in Jeff's yard is any larger. If it is, and if I can get a good angle, I will photograph it.

Zeeth

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

"Peter

Thanks Ryan!"

"Your welcome Peter. I still have to check to see if the B. alfredii in Jeff's yard is any larger. If it is, and if I can get a good angle, I will photograph it."

Waiting for that picture!

- Well here they are. These photos were meant to not only showcase the species but to also be used for comparison purposes with the specimen at the nursery, which is larger.

DSC_0090.jpg

- This one has been growing fast, but does seem to get a little shade, compared to the one at the nursery which gets just about all-day full sun.

DSC_0091.jpg

- Closeup view of the leaf bases. The glaucous coloration is all over the leaf bases and petioles.

DSC_0092.jpg

- I took these photos as I arrived at Jeff's house for his annual Christmas Party. The house was covered with lights and decorations and the backyard was still being prepped for about 125 guests. I would post more photos of the party but many would not be allowed due to the Forums guidelines. I left this welcoming signpost out front and went to the back to start lighting candles and bonfires. Happy Holidays!

DSC_0093.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

That's about the best photo I've ever seen of an alfredii outside of Madagascar-thanks again Ryan! Any thoughts about what the eventual size of this palm will be? Queen-ish in size, or larger like the windows variety.

San Fernando Valley, California

That's about the best photo I've ever seen of an alfredii outside of Madagascar-thanks again Ryan! Any thoughts about what the eventual size of this palm will be? Queen-ish in size, or larger like the windows variety.

B. alfredii is a great palm in all respects. I think specimens with time will reach their described size in South Florida and everywhere else, due to their cold tolerance. I have seen photos of mature trees in Madagascar and they are roughly the same size as B. sp. 'Windows', with a leaner, upright crown. A specimen grown in shade might develop a thinner trunk with a diameter about the same as a Queen Palm, or larger. I always say it will resemble a coconut palm from a distance when grown.

Ryan

South Florida

• 4 weeks later...

Now what?

Why does Palm Talk have a section devoted for Palm Exchange / For Sale? Why post the "same" thing at both places? Do you need to be an IPS member to offer an opinion here? Dose IPS membership somehow offer some credence to ones opinions or observations; because if so, where do I sign up? :D

Right here. http://www.palms.org...application.cfm

:floor: Oooops, did I just bump this thread again? :bemused:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Are you going to shamelessly promote the 13th Annual Fall sail right up until its time for you to start promoting crap out of the 14th Annual Spring Sale? It's a shame that there isn't a section here for sales!!! :wacko:

The devil must had pushed your mouse and forced you to click on this thread? :evil:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Are you going to shamelessly promote the 13th Annual Fall sail right up until its time for you to start promoting crap out of the 14th Annual Spring Sale? It's a shame that there isn't a section here for sales!!! :wacko:

The devil must had pushed your mouse and forced you to click on this thread? :evil:

I knew that it would only be a mater of time before the cheerleaders would want to “put me in my place” for me voicing my opinion of what I thought was obvious.

But with that being said; why should I care what is posted here? After all you’re correct, I don’t have to read this post; I can skip posts that don’t help me learn more about my hobby and go to the ones that do! We all know that times are really, really tough for some of those here that are in the business and if self promotion here helps bring in the $$$, then go for it! If this starts to “clog” up the Discussing Palm Trees Worldwide section of PalmTalk and it starts to bother me, I will just go somewhere different to feed my thirst for knowledge about palms. Maybe my new outlook is due to being chillaxed after just getting back from 7 days of hiking thru the jungles of Panama where I learned and saw some truly incredible things!! Live and let live. If you want to bump this every few weeks, again go for it!

North Palm Beach