Sign in to follow this  
MattyB

Dypsis leptocheilos

MattyB

Dypsis leptocheilos, in ground, 6 feet overall, planted within 1 foot of house, no overhang.

24.1F, no frost, covered by a sheet

No damage whatsoever.

DoomsDave

Same here.

Thank God for small favors!

dave

PALM MOD

Dave,

I was wondering about your Teddy Bear, but was afraid to ask.  :)

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

Mod!

Well, the Mad Slasher went back to Florida . . . .

The new palm from Matty and the others, well, it's a D. lastelliana, I think.  Under the Tree of Lust and Desire.  So far, no damage, though, I'm getting inured . . ..

I've six others in the ground, so far, no problem!  (To quote Alf!)

dave

epicure3

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 16 2007,00:38)

Mod!

The new palm from Matty and the others, well, it's a D. lastelliana, I think.  Under the Tree of Lust and Desire.  So far, no damage, though, I'm getting inured . . ..

dave

I'm glad I told Matty....no cocos.

DoomsDave

Okay.

On reflection, I think that spot of the garden didn't get as cold as the rest.

An R. oleracea baby showed no damage.  What gives?  (Wanna bottle, if possible.)

But, that said, some of the D. leptos in the back forty suffered 24.8 FF and they didn't burn, either.  

dave

PALM MOD

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 15 2007,19:38)

Mod!

dave

I stand corrected.

MattyB

That "Tree of Lust and Desire" has like a 20 foot thick canopy so I'm sure that helped a lot.

DoomsDave

Matty!

It's probably a D. lastelliana.  Much more tender.  So far, no damage.  

FORTY foot canopy, more like.  Lots!

Canopy helps, a helluva lot . . .

dave

Don Little

5 gal plant that has some protection under some ferns saw very minor leaf spotting at 29 according to my coldest sensor, no frost either.

LJG

28 Degrees/No frost

This shows a prime example why you do not plant in late fall. This was planted in Oct. Beautiful trunking plant. It was placed in a new cleared spot in my landscape and is at the north end of the house that points to a hill. So the cold air came off the hill and collected against the house. So not only did I plant in fall, but I placed where I never considered where cold air would collect. This plant was in perfect shape as of four days ago. Judging from other post, had this been in the ground since spring, it would have been fine like others are.

DleptoFreeze1.jpg

Geoff

3 seedlings, all in protected corners, all show now damage though temps were 27F.

DoomsDave

Update:

Six specimens, in the ground, all about 3 feet (1 m) tall, 1-1.5" across the bases, four days of hours-long exposure to 28-29 F, no damage.

Gtlevine

Three plants about to show trunk, no damage at 27F on Saturday with low thirties for three days thereafter.

Gary

MattyB

I noticed that this plants (like most others) cold/sun hardiness increased with time in the ground and out of the greenhouse.  It really hardens off well, better than I ever would have expected.  It looks like LJG just found out the hard way.  Sorry.

Geoff

3 seedlings, two next to house but one near a wall with no overhead protection in a courtyard.  Only minimal damage to the unprotected one from 5 hours of 27F

quaman58

This one took a while for damage to show up. 2 ft. seedling, lower section of hillside @ 26F, no frost. All three open leaves have browned out this past week. Large new spear appears to be okay.

DoomsDave

Two weeks after four days of 28-29 F, no frost.

These are about3 feet (1 m) tall, 2" (5 cm) across the base.

post-208-1170025359_thumb.jpg

DoomsDave

And a close-up

post-208-1170025387_thumb.jpg

DoomsDave

Here it is the end of July, and they're recovering, albeit slowly

post-208-1185738574_thumb.jpg

DoomsDave

And another

post-208-1185738606_thumb.jpg

DoomsDave

Another view of that first group.

post-208-1185738633_thumb.jpg

tikitiki

mine hit 32 for the second night in a row the 2nd with frost. I have tree within 10feet of each other. smalest has no wood the largest has two feet. Only the smallest shows any damage at all. The largest has been in the ground for 6 years.

Pete in Paradise Hills

28 Degrees/No frost

This shows a prime example why you do not plant in late fall. This was planted in Oct. Beautiful trunking plant. It was placed in a new cleared spot in my landscape and is at the north end of the house that points to a hill. So the cold air came off the hill and collected against the house. So not only did I plant in fall, but I placed where I never considered where cold air would collect. This plant was in perfect shape as of four days ago. Judging from other post, had this been in the ground since spring, it would have been fine like others are.

DleptoFreeze1.jpg

Wish I had followed this advice. I planted my 15g a week before the end of 2014 cold snap. Took about 2 weeks to show signicant leaf browning but also opened a healthy new leaf. Lesson learned...

Pete in Paradise Hills

I also have a 5g planted 3 months earlier in full sun which shows little to no damage. I think time in the ground would have made all the differene with the 15g...

DoomsDave

Teddies are one of the best for away from the beach, but not super far inland. Mucho agua, mucho bueno.

Zeeth

3.5 hours below freezing, absolute low of 28.7˚ F. 

IMG_0648.thumb.jpg.38fd13a0545a5c99040ea