IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis leptocheilos

MattyB

Dypsis leptocheilos, in ground, 6 feet overall, planted within 1 foot of house, no overhang.

24.1F, no frost, covered by a sheet

No damage whatsoever.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Same here.

Thank God for small favors!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

I was wondering about your Teddy Bear, but was afraid to ask.  :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Mod!

Well, the Mad Slasher went back to Florida . . . .

The new palm from Matty and the others, well, it's a D. lastelliana, I think.  Under the Tree of Lust and Desire.  So far, no damage, though, I'm getting inured . . ..

I've six others in the ground, so far, no problem!  (To quote Alf!)

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 16 2007,00:38)

Mod!

The new palm from Matty and the others, well, it's a D. lastelliana, I think.  Under the Tree of Lust and Desire.  So far, no damage, though, I'm getting inured . . ..

dave

I'm glad I told Matty....no cocos.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Okay.

On reflection, I think that spot of the garden didn't get as cold as the rest.

An R. oleracea baby showed no damage.  What gives?  (Wanna bottle, if possible.)

But, that said, some of the D. leptos in the back forty suffered 24.8 FF and they didn't burn, either.  

dave

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 15 2007,19:38)

Mod!

dave

I stand corrected.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

That "Tree of Lust and Desire" has like a 20 foot thick canopy so I'm sure that helped a lot.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty!

It's probably a D. lastelliana.  Much more tender.  So far, no damage.  

FORTY foot canopy, more like.  Lots!

Canopy helps, a helluva lot . . .

dave

5 gal plant that has some protection under some ferns saw very minor leaf spotting at 29 according to my coldest sensor, no frost either.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

28 Degrees/No frost

This shows a prime example why you do not plant in late fall. This was planted in Oct. Beautiful trunking plant. It was placed in a new cleared spot in my landscape and is at the north end of the house that points to a hill. So the cold air came off the hill and collected against the house. So not only did I plant in fall, but I placed where I never considered where cold air would collect. This plant was in perfect shape as of four days ago. Judging from other post, had this been in the ground since spring, it would have been fine like others are.

DleptoFreeze1.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Update:

Six specimens, in the ground, all about 3 feet (1 m) tall, 1-1.5" across the bases, four days of hours-long exposure to 28-29 F, no damage.

Three plants about to show trunk, no damage at 27F on Saturday with low thirties for three days thereafter.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I noticed that this plants (like most others) cold/sun hardiness increased with time in the ground and out of the greenhouse.  It really hardens off well, better than I ever would have expected.  It looks like LJG just found out the hard way.  Sorry.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

3 seedlings, two next to house but one near a wall with no overhead protection in a courtyard.  Only minimal damage to the unprotected one from 5 hours of 27F

This one took a while for damage to show up. 2 ft. seedling, lower section of hillside @ 26F, no frost. All three open leaves have browned out this past week. Large new spear appears to be okay.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Two weeks after four days of 28-29 F, no frost.

These are about3 feet (1 m) tall, 2" (5 cm) across the base.

post-208-1170025359_thumb.jpg

And a close-up

post-208-1170025387_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Here it is the end of July, and they're recovering, albeit slowly

post-208-1185738574_thumb.jpg

And another

post-208-1185738606_thumb.jpg

Another view of that first group.

post-208-1185738633_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

mine hit 32 for the second night in a row the 2nd with frost. I have tree within 10feet of each other. smalest has no wood the largest has two feet. Only the smallest shows any damage at all. The largest has been in the ground for 6 years.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

• 6 years later...

28 Degrees/No frost

This shows a prime example why you do not plant in late fall. This was planted in Oct. Beautiful trunking plant. It was placed in a new cleared spot in my landscape and is at the north end of the house that points to a hill. So the cold air came off the hill and collected against the house. So not only did I plant in fall, but I placed where I never considered where cold air would collect. This plant was in perfect shape as of four days ago. Judging from other post, had this been in the ground since spring, it would have been fine like others are.

DleptoFreeze1.jpg

Wish I had followed this advice. I planted my 15g a week before the end of 2014 cold snap. Took about 2 weeks to show signicant leaf browning but also opened a healthy new leaf. Lesson learned...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

I also have a 5g planted 3 months earlier in full sun which shows little to no damage. I think time in the ground would have made all the differene with the 15g...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Teddies are one of the best for away from the beach, but not super far inland. Mucho agua, mucho bueno.

• 2 years later...