IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis pembana

MattyB

Dypsis pembana, 2 gallon size plant, in ground, 2 feet tall to tip of new spear.

24.1F, no frost, planted under a Queen Palm and next to a hedge, covered with a sheet.

No immediate damage/burn.  This palm normally shows some spotting during winter, which it's been doing for several weeks due to the ongoing cold.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Amazingly, no damage neither!

Mine's a fifteen, yellow, to be sure.  I've moved it inside because I'm so [expletive] paranoid.

And, a baby under the P. hillebrandtii, still good.  (P. hilli, no so

good!)

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mines on it's own, in the ground, in the worst part of the yard. (26F) Some browning, and yellow, but looks like a survivor to me.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

(neoflora @ Jan. 18 2007,21:08)

I have a 15-18 foot plant in my garden. No damage!

Temps?  DUration?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Any updates on this one? The initial responses sounded promising, but I'm wondering if others went the way of Bret's.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

i had one in the ground very similiar to brets--just pulled the spear this week after noticing it wasn't moving for a month or so...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I'll keep mine in a pot until it's huge. Just drag it in when it drops below freezing. After a few years of experiencing all but the worst my yard can offer, maybe I'll plant it. (Or sell it for the big bucks.)

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I got down to 32 for two nights and the last spear just came out black.  I pulled it and put peroxide down the crown and has recovered nicely.  A new spear is growing extremely fast and the plant is starting to sucker.  I think if these survive the initial shock of the cold they have a good chance because they grow so fast.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

(ellidro @ Aug. 16 2007,20:06)

I got down to 32 for two nights and the last spear just came out black.  I pulled it and put peroxide down the crown and has recovered nicely.  A new spear is growing extremely fast and the plant is starting to sucker.  I think if these survive the initial shock of the cold they have a good chance because they grow so fast.

Booo. 32 and that much damage? It would have been dead at 28 here I guess. I have 3 large ones I planted in spring. Two with trunk now.  Guess it might be like Geoff pointed out - this palm has been around for like 15 years. Why no adults in SoCal?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

I saw Ron's huge pembana post freeze and it looked good.  I think the key for these guys is to pray for a few warm winters until they can get established. Once established I think it will do fine.

Nick, I do not think Ron went below 32 from what I heard. I hope you are right. We will know soon enough.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I didn't have a single thermometer at my house read below 34 degrees but I did have ice in my hose one morning which tells me at ground level I reached 32.  When I toured dypsis deans yard post freeze he told me years prior he did an experiment with thermometers and three thermometers all bought at the same time, all the same make and sitting next to each other, had 3-4 degree temperature differences.   Next time you are at jungle music stick you hand closer to the floor and you will notice a huge temperature difference.  That being said I don't know of many people who put there thermometers on the ground because most of us are too darn lazy to bend over and look at it. I guess my point is I wouldn't get too stuck on the numbers, there is a fudge factor between all thermometers. Ron's yard got cold like the rest of ours.

• 1 year later...

4-leaf specimen (about 1gal size) planted under partial canopy...doesn't mind cool weather (50-degree mean temp for 3 months) and has actually thrown and opened a new leaf since October despite a wickedly chilly autumn.

5 light radiational frosts/freezes to 29-31F, each 3-7 hrs below freezing: no damage

1 advective freeze to 27F, 9.5 hrs below freezing: about 15-20% burn on one or two o leaves.

To protect foliage for good growth next season, I buried it under a mountain of mulch for the big 24F advective blast (but will not do this next year), and it appears in excellent condition.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

No damage at all after first night at 32F but got some spotting after frost last night. it is exposed and about 5ftOA

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

• 11 months later...

The palm shows some damage after getting some frost on it. But, it looks way better than several Dypsis lustences that also recieved frost. I think this palm will do better for my yard here in the Tampa Bay area than Dypsis lustences. And it is a fast grower!

Jeffrey

Apollo Beach, FL

zone 9b/10a

My D pemba 12' OA just starting to show a slight trunk 2 1/2 yrs in ground on south side against the house completely defoliated, looks like it will recover, the offshoot looks OK 2' tall, 13 nights below freezing, @ 8 to 10hr periods. Low around 21 f.

Paul Gallop

My D. pembana showed nearly no damage after the last marathon cold spell. Temps dropped to low to mid-30s about 5-6 nights, then to record 28.5 on Jan. 10-11. And it takes SW FL summer sun & heat. This is a tough, beautiful palm. I can't say enough about it.

post-1349-1264082929_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I accidentally left a one gallon outside and it took 25 with no signs of damage- im going to plant alot of them on my property!

• 5 years later...

I planted this D Pembana from a 7 gallon in late 2010.  I know the garden has approached 32 for brief periods just before the sun rises, but I haven't measure temps consistently over the years.  No frost that I have seen since moving into the house in 2014.  A very fast grower and the one is now flowering in full sun exposure.  Others in the garden in partial sun are much more stretched, but its the only one flowering.  Great grower

20160110-104A0814.jpg

• Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

23 hours ago, Tracy said:

I planted this D Pembana from a 7 gallon in late 2010.  I know the garden has approached 32 for brief periods just before the sun rises, but I haven't measure temps consistently over the years.  No frost that I have seen since moving into the house in 2014.  A very fast grower and the one is now flowering in full sun exposure.  Others in the garden in partial sun are much more stretched, but its the only one flowering.  Great grower

20160110-104A0814.jpg

Hi Tracy, do you have a full money shot of your palm? It look a lot like D. lancelota

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

11 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Hi Tracy, do you have a full money shot of your palm? It look a lot like D. lancelota

Hello Josh, This is the one that is flowering, grown in full sun.  The wall behind it is right at 6'.  I have others in the yard planted in partial shade and the ring spacing on those is of course much more spaced out.  I had a lanceolata on the sunny side which didn't make it, and another on the shadey side which is doing fine.  My challenge was that the house was a rental for almost 4 years, then we did a year long remodel, so many things were heavily abused.

104A0089.jpg

• Upvote 2

This is the same age, planted in the ground 5 years ago, just like the one that was flowering.  It always had the garage on the right to it's east, but has had westerly shade from the patio cover since we added it, and you can see how much more stretched out it is.  Not the right angle to show the rings, but they are much more spaced than on the one in full sun.

104A0057.jpg

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Josh-O said:

The petiole and new leaf spike on the palm(0947) that is flowering differs from both my lanceolata and other pembanas, but was labeled as a D pembana when I purchased it.  I included a shot of what is more "typical" of the plants I have labeled as pembana.  I never saw any of the ones purchased as pembana with a new spike showing the pinkish color that the lanceolata shows, the new spike tends more to a light yellow/green where it emerges from the prior sheath.  I'm open for suggestions if it is something different.  Also included are the flowers.

Pembana-0947.jpg

Lanceolata-0945.jpg

Pembana-0924.jpg

Pembana-0022.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2016, 9:30:29, Tracy said:

20160110-104A0814.jpg

they look fantastic!!!

Nice job :) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 years later...

Roughly 70% burn from 28f. Will likely recover okay... Rumored to be relatively hardy, but my results were disappointing. 

Additional info can be found here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/55520-2018-freeze-in-central-florida/&do=findComment&comment=834723

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

• 2 years later...

Several light frosts in early December 2020 at minimums of 33-36F with no damage to my 12-14' tall Pembana.  Christmas night 2020 was a minimum of 28F with medium frost and only to about 50F the next day, then 11 hours at 31-33F with a bit of frost on the morning of 12/27.  The top leaves were all scorched, but leaves not directly exposed to frost are fine.  3 weeks later and both of the taller trunks are pushing new spears, likely to open by the end of January.  Here's the temperature profile:594316225_Christmasfreeze2020.thumb.jpg.bcc73dd81b83ecee690e933259bbe026.jpgAnd here's the Pembana today:

1519707528_P1070364Pembana.thumb.JPG.b6a7b2e8a4b96387d862829756915a5f.JPG

I had 1 of 3 die in 2010 cold event 28F plus frost.  They were small, about 3-5 gallon size with ~2 1/2" caliper at the base.  The two survivors had spear pull, and -probably would have died had I not hammered them with peroxide and daconil several times.  I thought they were dead. I dug them out as "stumps" and put them in 5 gal containers then additional grow points appeared on 2/3 3 months later.  One is 25' today and fruiting prolifically the other about 15'(more shade).  I think they are ok at 28F if not too small.  None of my small(5-15 gllon size) royals, foxy ladies, or foxtails made it, even after peroxide/daconil.  These palms take a warm 9B for sure in florida, perhaps a cold one out west where the duration of cold is more brief.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 7 months later...

Anyone has D pembana in fl usda 9a?  Im in Jacksonville i just wonder.    I read some cold hardiness on this plant i got 2 of them outside but this would be the first winter outside.  

My both has like 4 trunks and they are about 3-5 feet tall. some taller some smaller  .

Any update info ? 

Whats palm would be the most tropical looking not reg "home depot" type palm to this zone?

Kentiopsis oliviformis would survive?

Thank you for the help!

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Anyone has D pembana in fl usda 9a?  Im in Jacksonville i just wonder.    I read some cold hardiness on this plant i got 2 of them outside but this would be the first winter outside.  

Thank you for the help!

I recently got some seedlings from @PalmatierMeg after reading about their hardiness.   I'm in Jville as well right near Pottsburg Creek and Arlington River, and haven't had any weather sever enough even to phase the Royal I have in the ground here.  So figured it'd be worth a try once I get some size on then (they'll be small enough for the greenhouse for a few years most likely).

I also visited another members house in Pointe Vedra recently and he has quite a few palms that shouldn't be growing here.  I thought I remember him saying Pembana but can't be certain.  

With that, where in Jville are you?  I would think if you are West of 95 then you'd be more susceptible to freezing temps unless you have a good microclimate. 

Hi there thank you for your respond.im at oceanway by pulaski 

i got my Pembana close to Miami 

searched on website plantant.com   

you can find great deals there...

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Hi there thank you for your respond.im at oceanway by pulaski 

i got my Pembana close to Miami 

searched on website plantant.com   

you can find great deals there...

Cool, that's where my old house is near, over in Daybreak Woods.  I have a well established Frank Lewis mule palm still there in the front yard that I may transplant in the Spring to my current house before I sell it.

As for the Royal, it's been in the ground for three, maybe four years now, given to me as a one gallon.

12 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Anyone has D pembana in fl usda 9a?  Im in Jacksonville i just wonder.  

But back to your original question knowing now where you are at...

I tried to find some images, as I'm good at taking pics but bad with dates ..but apparently can't find them.

Anyway, at my house in Oceanway the one sensitive palm I tried was a Foxtail underneath the shelter of my bamboo.  There was a year (2010?) where we had below freezing temps nightly for several days, with lows in the low to mid 20s. The foxtail died and this was the first time I experienced culm death on a few of my Bambusa and Dendrocalamus bamboo.  

With that, perhaps keep the Pembana potted until it's too big to bring in...much like I have done with my Adonidia merillii for the last fifteen years or so...

I contacted to a palm place and they have a 45 gal and i try to see if they would deliver it. I think that size would pull trough .   I see comments and some say as low as 27 i even see comment 24.1? but that in cal ...Anyway i try to get this plant and move from there.    I got some triangles and bottles outside for years .Let me show you some pics. I had very good "luck" to manage bottle palm protection for colder time. Due its not a super fast grower either wont grow tall but max 12 feet ,its relatively easy to protect.The leaves are not easy to break so as protection easy to deal with instead of like Majestic.  I basically use irrigation pipe from lowes, place 4 around into ground and build a frame. Just hammer it down. Then  just wrapping it with plastic film multi  multi times ,but plastic should not touch palm ,so no rain ,no wind blow it...And i leave a very small gap at bottom like an inch to have air in.   Usually leaves gets burn but they recover very well .

Thank you for your help! 

processed.jpeg

processed (1).jpeg

processed (2).jpeg

processed (3).jpeg

processed (4).jpeg

processed (5).jpeg

processed (6).jpeg

Anyone has experience with D Pembana in usda zone 9a?  or perhaps even colder zone?  Im in Jacksonville fl at oceanway would like to know if anyone has experience  

Thank you !

Most cold hardy crown shaft tropical palm for usda 9a?   Not "home depot " style something unique? Thank you