Sign in to follow this  
MattyB

Kentiopsis oliviformis

MattyB

Kentiopsis oliviformis, in ground, 4 feet overall.

24.1F, no frost, no canopy, planted next to a 5 foot fence and covered up w/ a sheet.

No Damage.... except the oldest leaf is on it's way out now about a week after the freeze.  It was about time anyway so not a major issue.  A new leaf opened last week and even it shows no damage.

DoomsDave

Hmm.

I've got three.

One's out in the open, next to the Roystonea ollie, and it suffered some burn.

Under the Cedres deodar, no problemo.

Next to the Tibuchina, one leaf burned.  

(Under the overhang, no damage, yeah, buddy!)

dave

BS Man about Palms

I have 3 potted 5 gal size. 2 partially covered w/ a sheet. 1 uncovered. All hit 26F 2 nights in a row. No noticeable damage yet.

Geoff

6 year old seedling about 3' tall, against house, and trees nearby 27F in the rest of the yard (no thermometer here, though) for 5 hours+... no damage noted (I suspect didnt' get that cold there)

BS Man about Palms

(Geoff @ Jan. 17 2007,08:57)

6 year old seedling about 3' tall, against house, and trees nearby 27F in the rest of the yard (no thermometer here, though) for 5 hours+... no damage noted (I suspect didnt' get that cold there)

Geoff- Love your illustartions!!  But I have to ask, you constantly refer to what I would call good sized palms as seedlings....at what point are they not a seedling??

Joe palma

Planted Oct06 (mistake), from green house, 5g, 3'. Saw ~32. No canopy. Some wind protection.

Minor damage toward terminal leaflets.

K_oliviformis.jpg

K_oliviformis1.jpg

DoomsDave

Update:

Three specimens in teh ground, all planted from five-gallons about a year and a half ago, all about 18" tall.

Two out in the open, about 50% leaf burn after four solid nights of about 28-29 F (-1 C); another under the Cedar tree, no damage.

A potted specimen, same size, under an overhang, no damage, except for the tippy of a leaf sticking out from the overhang.

dave

JD in the OC

One plant in a 15 gallon container about 4 feet tall.  No frost damage whatsoever with still air temps of 30-34 F and windchill at 27-30 F.

DoomsDave

Two out in teh open, four nights of 28-29 F, heavy damage.

post-208-1170026791_thumb.jpg

JD in the OC

15 gallon plant sustained windchill down to 26-30 deg

NO DAMAGE WHATSOEVER

while nearby Archonto were toasted! I think this one may take 20 degrees and still pull through.

freakypalmguy

27F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with a short period of light frost. Light canopy. Small one gallon. 50% damage.

mnorell

3-leaf specimen (about 1gal size, 8" tall) planted under partial canopy.

5 light radiational frosts/freezes to 29-31F, each 3-7 hrs below freezing: no damage

1 advective freeze to 27F, 9.5 hrs below freezing: less than 10% (leaf-tip) burn

To protect foliage for good growth next season, I buried it under a mountain of mulch for the big 24F advective blast (but will not do this next year), and it appears in pretty good shape.

Quite cool-tolerant, in excellent condition despite nearly 3 months with a mean temp of 50F (November was colder than an average January).

tikitiki

About 4 ft CT and in ground for 5 years. It has out grown its canopy and has been pushing new fronds through winter. It has taken its second night at 32 and has light spotting after heavy frost. It does however sit on the south side of my screen pool enclosure.

Xhoniwaters1

1 -7 gal left out one night at 23 degrees, has about 50-75% leaf burn