IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentiopsis oliviformis

MattyB

Kentiopsis oliviformis, in ground, 4 feet overall.

24.1F, no frost, no canopy, planted next to a 5 foot fence and covered up w/ a sheet.

No Damage.... except the oldest leaf is on it's way out now about a week after the freeze.  It was about time anyway so not a major issue.  A new leaf opened last week and even it shows no damage.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hmm.

I've got three.

One's out in the open, next to the Roystonea ollie, and it suffered some burn.

Under the Cedres deodar, no problemo.

Next to the Tibuchina, one leaf burned.  

(Under the overhang, no damage, yeah, buddy!)

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have 3 potted 5 gal size. 2 partially covered w/ a sheet. 1 uncovered. All hit 26F 2 nights in a row. No noticeable damage yet.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

6 year old seedling about 3' tall, against house, and trees nearby 27F in the rest of the yard (no thermometer here, though) for 5 hours+... no damage noted (I suspect didnt' get that cold there)

(Geoff @ Jan. 17 2007,08:57)

6 year old seedling about 3' tall, against house, and trees nearby 27F in the rest of the yard (no thermometer here, though) for 5 hours+... no damage noted (I suspect didnt' get that cold there)

Geoff- Love your illustartions!!  But I have to ask, you constantly refer to what I would call good sized palms as seedlings....at what point are they not a seedling??

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Planted Oct06 (mistake), from green house, 5g, 3'. Saw ~32. No canopy. Some wind protection.

Minor damage toward terminal leaflets.

K_oliviformis.jpg

K_oliviformis1.jpg

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Update:

Three specimens in teh ground, all planted from five-gallons about a year and a half ago, all about 18" tall.

Two out in the open, about 50% leaf burn after four solid nights of about 28-29 F (-1 C); another under the Cedar tree, no damage.

A potted specimen, same size, under an overhang, no damage, except for the tippy of a leaf sticking out from the overhang.

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

One plant in a 15 gallon container about 4 feet tall.  No frost damage whatsoever with still air temps of 30-34 F and windchill at 27-30 F.

• 2 weeks later...

Two out in teh open, four nights of 28-29 F, heavy damage.

post-208-1170026791_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

15 gallon plant sustained windchill down to 26-30 deg

NO DAMAGE WHATSOEVER

while nearby Archonto were toasted! I think this one may take 20 degrees and still pull through.

• 1 year later...

27F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with a short period of light frost. Light canopy. Small one gallon. 50% damage.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 2 weeks later...

3-leaf specimen (about 1gal size, 8" tall) planted under partial canopy.

5 light radiational frosts/freezes to 29-31F, each 3-7 hrs below freezing: no damage

1 advective freeze to 27F, 9.5 hrs below freezing: less than 10% (leaf-tip) burn

To protect foliage for good growth next season, I buried it under a mountain of mulch for the big 24F advective blast (but will not do this next year), and it appears in pretty good shape.

Quite cool-tolerant, in excellent condition despite nearly 3 months with a mean temp of 50F (November was colder than an average January).

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

About 4 ft CT and in ground for 5 years. It has out grown its canopy and has been pushing new fronds through winter. It has taken its second night at 32 and has light spotting after heavy frost. It does however sit on the south side of my screen pool enclosure.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

• 5 years later...

1 -7 gal left out one night at 23 degrees, has about 50-75% leaf burn

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

• 3 years later...