IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea regia

MattyB

Roystonea regia, just starting to trunk, 12 feet overall.

24.1F, no frost, no overhead canopy.

90% leafburn

(took 28F, no frost, the night before w/ minimal tip burn)

post-126-1168923834_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

The big  (25 ft?) Roystonea regias along Morena Blvd. heading north to Costco -- fried.  That must be a cold canyon.  Every one is frizzle-tipped, but the crownshafts are still green, and I couldn't tell for certain, but the unopened spears may still be green.

My 2-ft. baby, 2nd winter in the ground, 3 ft. from an ice-filled bromeliad:  no visible change.  So far.  (32.2 and 31 lows last 2 nights.)

My 3-ft. baby in a tiny pot, sheltered between 2 buildings on a concrete patio, no visible change.

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

(Kim @ Jan. 16 2007,00:16)

The big  (25 ft?) Roystonea regias along Morena Blvd. heading north to Costco -- fried.  That must be a cold canyon.  Every one is frizzle-tipped, but the crownshafts are still green, and I couldn't tell for certain, but the unopened spears may still be green.

My 2-ft. baby, 2nd winter in the ground, 3 ft. from an ice-filled bromeliad:  no visible change.  So far.  (32.2 and 31 lows last 2 nights.)

My 3-ft. baby in a tiny pot, sheltered between 2 buildings on a concrete patio, no visible change.

I'm surprised that you got so cold Kim. Pt. Loma is usually the warmest part of the county, isn't it?

Low of 29 Sat AM  no frost

I have 3 with about 4 feet of fat trunk.

1 protected with heat. No damage.

1 with trunk in amongst foliage with crown exposed. Freeze damage to a couple of fronds.

1 totally exposed. Haven't checked it yet.

• Like 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Hmm.

My Little Rascals.  Spanky and Butch (Second biggest and biggest!) got KFC'd.  

Alfalfa's okay.  Miraculous.

Go to court in the morning, come home . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 R regias that saw at least 29 and probably 70 to 80 % leaf burn.  Palms should make it thru but looks like crap for now

• Like 1

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

This may not be helpful as I don't have the temp data, but at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa Sunday afternoon during the Charger/Patriots game, the very tall royals lining the street looked absolutely pristine in a very flat, open area.  You would never guess it had been cold (maybe it hadn't).  Anyone been by there Monday or later?  Are they still looking good?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

somewhere between 25 and 27.5 and no frost, 5 @ 12'+ starting to trunk, all in the open, >50% damage

• Like 1

David Vogelsang

OC, California

Zone 10a

Update:

One R. regia, against south wall in lower part of yard, exposed to c. 24.8 for four solid nights, severe damage, but spear still green.  (I believe cold air drained onto it from the roof of the house),

Another specimen by the patio, away from house, much less damage, probably slightly higher temperatures, at top of slight slope.

Another specimen 60% leaf burn after four days of 28-29 F.

12 small specimens in pots, under shade cloth, nearby exposed areas to 24.8 for four solid nights, no damage.

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I had 2 nights at 25f,5mph wind,8 hours exposure to minimum both nights,no frost,too large to protect.This one about 90% fried but unopened spear is still green.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1169258625_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

This one near 100% defoliation.Unfortunately,newest spear was just opening and is totally dried out.It is a larger tree with over 6 ft of wood so all we can do is hope it pulls through.I have seen similar sized ones die here at slightly higher temps!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1169259005_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Royal seedlings. Even though side by side,some totally fried while others seemed untouched.These were all unprotected.Genetic variation?

post-236-1169259314_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

This is a good idea!

okay, I have a Royal, it could be a Florida variety because they guy I got it from dug it up from somewhere around Naples, but I am not sure.  It is begining to form a trunk.  It is in North Brevard county, Fl and it took two hours of 26 F with very little or no tip burn, which is amazing.  Of course it was also planted in a canopy of sabals.  It also took 31F with no damage, and then in the Feb 2006 freeze (location tempreture unknown), took some tip burn on the ends of the fronds.

Brevard County, Fl

• 1 month later...

A month and a half later, damaged, but surviving.

post-208-1173288460_thumb.jpg

Ditto for this one.

post-208-1173288484_thumb.jpg

Congrats Dave!  I had a feeling it would pull through.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Its interesting how close they look like Queens when still young.

I cant get a Royal at the moment as my usual suppliers dont import any (No names!), but I had no problems in getting a good sized Queen last September which was imported for me from Valencia, Spain.

Just started the high nitrate feed (with humates) 2nd dose today but I have avoided Broad Spectrum Myco as there are several other palms around looking quite happy so Queen is probably happy too  as the soil seems palm receptive.

Given the chance I would probably try a Royal under semi-canopy or at least close to my house.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

• 4 months later...

Looking better, next to Ravenala, ditto . . .

July 29, 2007

post-208-1185739231_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Posted this in another thread, but thought it would be good here as well.

Like all others in my yard, experienced 25-26F as a low, and extended time below freezing over 5 nights consecutive. 100% leaf burn after first night, but spike looked totally fine. Never missed a beat afterward... all nice leaves.

Photo left - Jan 07, Photo right - Sep 07.

post-662-1191086887_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

• 3 months later...

Went below 32F at 330am, went back above 32F by 830am. 5 total hours of freezing temperatures. Ultimate low of 29.7F with 7.6 "freezing degree hours" calculated as discussed in the weather forum. Moderate winds varying from NNW to NNE all night, dewpoints in low teens, no frost. No overhead canopy in my yard. No protection provided. Photos from 4 days after the freeze event.

Minimal damage so far:

IMG_4187Custom.jpg

IMG_4188Custom.jpg

IMG_4192Custom.jpg

• Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 3 weeks later...

Three plants, starting to trunk

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

80% defoliated

Two fully recovered, one still in doubt

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 7 months later...

These 3 Cuban Royals have been in the ground for 10 years growing at a Best Western a few miles from my home. They have been through frost, snow, and even an ice storm with ZERO protection. The are completely unsheltered and even exposed to north winds. The coldest emperatures I know that have seen is 26 degrees. The suffered slight defoliation then but as you can see, have recovered quite nicely. I was so amazed I had to contact the owner about the palms to find out when they were planted.

RoystoneaRegia04.jpg

RoystoneaRegia02.jpg

RoystoneaRegia01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

These 3 Cuban Royals have been in the ground for 10 years growing at a Best Western a few miles from my home. They have been through frost, snow, and even an ice storm with ZERO protection. The are completely unsheltered and even exposed to north winds. The coldest emperatures I know that have seen is 26 degrees. The suffered slight defoliation then but as you can see, have recovered quite nicely. I was so amazed I had to contact the owner about the palms to find out when they were planted.

RoystoneaRegia04.jpg

RoystoneaRegia02.jpg

RoystoneaRegia01.jpg

Big Tex,

I have seen those before but cannot remember where they are located. Could you tell me?

• Like 1

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Big Tex,

I have seen those before but cannot remember where they are located. Could you tell me?

They are off Hwy 6 close to 290. The Best Western is backed up to the Hempstead Hwy and Hwy 6.

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

• 2 months later...

These royal palms are in Labelle, Florida (Hendry County), about 25-30 miles inland, N.E. of Ft. Myers, Florida. They were freeze burned from a severe radiational freeze on January 5, 2001. This freeze even burned royals and coconut palms five miles inland from Naples, Florida.

The queen sago palm to the left is under dense live oak canopy and wasn't burned, due to the tree canopy holding down rising ground heat. However, queen sago palms in the open were severely burned.

1091755552042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

• Like 1

Mad about palms

• 1 month later...
Guest LeftCoastAngler

Two nights of 30F:

The brown frond is from last months freeze. The darker colored frond is from the last two nights...

Come'On Spring! :) Where ya at!

CIMG4672.jpg

CIMG4674.jpg

~LCA.

Low of 27.3, radiational freeze, no wind, unprotected. below freezing from approximately 12:30 AM to 8:15 AM. Lots of frost. Pictures 36 hours after the freeze.

Fair condition...25% browning now - maybe more later - minimally trunking specimen.

02a85915.jpg

Young one in there took more damage...I'm going to call it 50% browning...kinda hard to see in this pic but there is a more brown foxtail frond hanging over it.

71ba08fc.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Two nights at 32f one a bit higher last two with alot of frost. No problems at all to this point. Palm has about 7 ft of GW

Edited by tikitiki
  • Upvote 1

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

• 8 years later...

I have 7 seedlings with strap leaves in pots, about 6 inches tall. Collected in habitat in the Fakahatchee strand. Low of 28˚ F with no frost. 6 seedlings were unscathed, 1 had 70% damage. 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

My juvenile palm was severely damaged from 28f with recovery uncertain. Large specimens also severely damaged, but will probably recover.  

Additional info can be found here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/55520-2018-freeze-in-central-florida/&do=findComment&comment=834723

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2007 at 9:27 AM, DoomsDave said:

A month and a half later, damaged, but surviving.

post-208-1173288460_thumb.jpg

This was Butch, also pictured below.

Hard to believe, the tenacity of life sometimes. Butch is now about 35 feet tall, and about tree feet across the base, maybe a mere 2 and a half . . .

AD408041-34EE-48D4-9A5B-0300BF950748.thumb.jpeg.1f5de2e71f73c6bedd3e939efc2485e2.jpeg

• Like 1