IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Other misc. tropicals

epicure3

After 29F. No frost.

schefflera. No damage to large specimens. Each 10 feet tall by 8 feet wide.

anthuriums, diffenbachia, song of india, birds nest anthuriums, agalonema, neoreglia (bromeliad), crotons. All under schefflera. All undamaged.

spathodea. Undamaged in full exposure. 7 feet tall fully leafed out.

Plumeria. 1 defoliated but appears undamaged. Fully exposed. 1 under hibiscus canopy undamaged and fully leafed out.

dracaena marginata. Fully exposed. Undamaged.

Clusia Rosea. Covered in frost cloth. No freeze damage (under banana and majesty canopy), but accelerated yellowing of large leaves.

Ti plants. Some freeze burn on one plant, fully exposed. The others under canopy are fine.

ficus lyrata. Some burn to upper leaves but, otherwise, unfazed. About 8 feet tall.

Mango. Under blanket. About 5 feet tall by 5 feet wide (about 40 gallon). Unfazed. Not in bloom. Thank goodness.

Pandanus tectorius. Fully exposed. Very surprised at no damage (at least yet).

Bromeliads look fine. Pineapple was covered but haven't looked underneath yet.

Ixora, under canopy undamaged.

Heliconias!! 2 fully exposed no damage.

2 under some canopy undamaged.

Bananas. One has serious damage to leaves but looks like it will survive since it didn't fall over (about 10 feet tall).

One fruiting banana dead. It was dying anyway since it had fruited, but this just finished it off.

Key lime under a huge cloth undamaged. tree about 8 feet tall by 7 feet wide. Fruit undamaged as well.

Tahiti lime undamaged. Fully exposed.. About 40 gallon size.

acerola cherry. 7 feet tall by about 3 feet wide. Wasn't looking that great before the freeze, but doesn't look to be any worse off.

Brugmansia. 3 trees. Each about 10 feet tall. Looks a little damaged but haven't fully checked it out yet.

Ok, checked it out. All 3 brugs, each about 10 feet tall by 5-6' wide completely defoliated. They are (or were) beautiful specimens. I hope they come back.

colocasias. Mostly under canopy all seem undamaged.

Seagrape. Undamaged, but also protected with heat.

Jade plants. Surprisingly undamaged.

coffea arabica. Don't know yet, but should be ok under canopy.

ginger. Unscathed.

Philodendrons. Undamaged.

ficus elastica. Undamaged. Under a little canopy but also in the coldest part of the yard.

Almost forgot....papaya. Somehow, someway, is still looking like it did before the cold. Alive. Maybe it's frozen stiff in a vertical position and rigor mortis set in.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(epicure3 @ Jan. 15 2007,23:10)

Did the leaves change color a bit?

Ive found that mine,although they will take some cold, are very sensitive to temps much under about 40F in showing foliar "change".

And, new growth (the tender red leaves) seem to easily get nipped at even mid 30's.

But, the plant as a whole keeps flying along...these are very fast shrubs/trees.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 15 2007,23:19)

(epicure3 @ Jan. 15 2007,23:10)

Did the leaves change color a bit?

Ive found that mine,although they will take some cold, are very sensitive to temps much under about 40F in showing foliar "change".

And, new growth (the tender red leaves) seem to easily get nipped at even mid 30's.

But, the plant as a whole keeps flying along...these are very fast shrubs/trees.

I had the heat a blastin' on them so there was no damage or discoloration.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Tupidanthus calyptratus at 29 lost its newest leaves but plant should be ok

3 Ensete ventricossum all lost foilage and leaves look like cooked spinach at 29

Monstera deliciosa and Philodendrum congo and selloum no damage at 29

Helliconia latispatha, rostrata, andromeda, golden torch, and lady di all died to the ground at 29

Ti plant (cordyline terminalis 'red sister') no damage at 29

large and small birds of paradise no damage at 29

cyathea cooperi and dicksonia antartica no damage at 29 along with staghorn ferns

Small plumeria on front patio, not sure how cold but still has leaves intact

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Ensete ventricosum, leaves wilted more each morning.

Musas:  those on south side of house no damage.  Those in open, younger specimens, leaves scorched at low of 31.

Heliconias:  this was my first plant to show damage after 32.2 low; was in open, no cover.  Other heliconia no damage under canopy even after low of 31.

Various bromeliads:  even with ice in central cups, no visible damage, but may show up later??

Bromeliad Androlepis skinnerii:  last winter looked really bad in shady part of garden, moved to sunny part of garden.  One leaf cold-damaged on each plant, much less damage than last year, even though it has been colder this year.  Better location.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

24 degree low for several hours under freezing. No frost.

Ensetes and musas, those that still had leaves after all the winds, were totally decimated. I wonder if they'll come back?

Many of the bamboos, gigantochloa, dendrocalamus and even a couple bambusas, all of the leaves were white and crispy.

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, various varieties, leaves turned to chocolate and fell off one day later.

Ficus Nekbudu, major leaf damage to all leaves. It will defoliate completely.

Rauvolfia... leaves turned to chocolate by Sun. am.

Ficus Dammaropsis.. major leaf damage.

Alpinia Zerumbet, 25% leaf damage.

Various Bromeliads.. even with ice in cups, seem fine so far.

Crotons.. under king palm canopy, seem fine.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

(doubravsky @ Jan. 16 2007,12:25)

24 degree low for several hours under freezing. No frost.

Ensetes and musas, those that still had leaves after all the winds, were totally decimated. I wonder if they'll come back?

Many of the bamboos, gigantochloa, dendrocalamus and even a couple bambusas, all of the leaves were white and crispy.

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, various varieties, leaves turned to chocolate and fell off one day later.

Ficus Nekbudu, major leaf damage to all leaves. It will defoliate completely.

Rauvolfia... leaves turned to chocolate by Sun. am.

Ficus Dammaropsis.. major leaf damage.

Alpinia Zerumbet, 25% leaf damage.

Various Bromeliads.. even with ice in cups, seem fine so far.

Crotons.. under king palm canopy, seem fine.

You'll know pretty quick, I would think on the bananas as they will just fall over in a big pile of mush if they croak.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

all manner of cycads under shadecloth

Temps under the cloth unknown /  no frost

Temps outside the cloth 29F to 32F 4 nights in a row

No damage

My lowest temp was 33F on Saturday night, which means that there were likely some areas on my property that got to freezing, but just barely.

Bananas seem to me to clearly be the most tender commonly grown tropical.  It's a bit hard to tell because they are so completely shredded by wind, but there is some cold damage on my more exposed bananas.  

The only other plant with any sign of cold damage is a Brugmansia 'charles grimaldi' that has a few wilted leaves at the very top.

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Fycus lyrata

28 Degrees/No frost

After three days of freeze, browning and shedding.

FLyrataFreeze4.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

28 Degrees/No frost

Travelers Palm/Ravenala madagascariensis:

TravlersFreeze7.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

The San Fernando Valley saw some severe damage this weekend... temps were officially recorded from 25F to 28F... my yard thermometer in the shade said 27F for over 5 hours.  However damage to several species of Trachycarpus and outright killing off of Dypsis baroniis might mean it was colder than that.

Every Scheffleria actinophylla in the valley, I have seen so far, are all a lovely choclate color... though now i see they are turning a crispy brown.  My one seedling tree 5' tall is melted to the ground, stem and all.

Bougainvillea all defoliated completely.

Strelitzia nicolais were severely damaged, but variable depeding on locatioin.  S reginaes were fried to a crisp here and there, but untouched in other areas.

Brugmansias totally defoliated of course, as were all Plumerias, Jatrophas, Passifloras, Bougainvilleas...

Platyceriums were either toasted completely (I lost two) or badly damaged depending on the species.  My surprise was P adinum showed almost no damage, though all my P bifurcatums were turned black.  ONe P veitcii totally killed while another older one hardly touched.

Blechnum gibbum killed outright

Cyathea cooperi Brentwood lost all fronds save the new crozier which seems OK... so far.  C medularis killed.

Many species of Aloes severely damaged, though they are taking longer to show their damage: A plicatilis, A vaotsanda, A hardyi, A imalotensis all hit hard.  Agave gypsophila also hit hard.

Alocasia macrorhiza melted to the ground.  All Colocasias as well.

Of course all Pachypodiums defoliated, some damaged worse, though.

All fuschias were defoliated, and pretty sure they won't be coming back.

Bananas and Canas melted to the ground

Dracaena marginatas all defoliated, and D dracos show severe leaf damage.

Common Lantana defoliated (3' tall bush, no protection)

Euphorbia ammaks and ingens moderately to severely damaged and many 'melting' arms 6 days later

Beaucarnea recurvata and guatamalensis severely torched and probably defoliated completely

Papayrus all burnt to the ground

Multiple Encephalartos seedlngs (caudeces less than 4" in diameter) lost most or all leaves (green varieties only)

ZAmia furfuraceas either totally or partially defoliate

Cycas thouarsii badly scorched

Dioon mejiae- some burned and one defoliated

Philodendron bipinnatum (spelling?) killed... mostly

Agaves tequiliana, gypsophylla, careibicola and Furcraea macdougallii all had mod leaf damage

Sadly... roses were untouched.

Geoff,

where in the valley are you?  I've got a lot of the same plants in Woodland Hills and mine seem to have come thru in much better shape.

San Fernando Valley, California

Bananas and Heliconias lost 90% leaves,

10 ft tall lychee, 8 ft tall Longan no damage.

20 ft tall 10 year old Macadamia nut  tree... no damage. 7 year old 20 ft tall by 12ft dia.  Cherimoya, lost about 80% of the outside canopy leaves..... still looks like it will recover.

Many tropical guava to 15 ft tall.... some still carrying fruit... lost about 80% of the leaves.

10 ft tall Jaboticaba... no damage. 10 ft tall Roseapple... no damage.

Official low in Modesto was 23f... My garden temps bottomed out at 26.9f

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Aw shucks guys and welcome to Boresville.

OK :I But  do guarantee this works.

Fatsia japonica "Aurea" is Grrrreat in the right shady place preferably next water.

Forget the plain one or indeed "Variegata".

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Looks like the papaya had a little trouble with the chill,after 2 nights of 25F.Also lost a few 10 ft tall plumarias which are currently bleeding brown sap from top to bottom.Top 3 feet are drying up and mushy.Expect these plants are already dead.Guava took a few days to show the true damage but all the leaves have since dried up.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1169308376_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

(aztropic @ Jan. 20 2007,10:52)

Looks like the papaya had a little trouble with the chill,after 2 nights of 25F.Also lost a few 10 ft tall plumarias which are currently bleeding brown sap from top to bottom.Top 3 feet are drying up and mushy.Expect these plants are already dead.Guava took a few days to show the true damage but all the leaves have since dried up.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Wow. That papaya looks as if it was a rally nice plant before the freeze. If the stem misn't mushy, it may still come back this spring. Papayas will also branch out after cold damage so you may end up with multiple trunks.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

More damage showing up now, more than a week later.

I had 3 nights with temps at 32.2, 31, and 32.

Agave attenuatta, which at first looked fine, now has a pitted surface to most of the leaves.

Cordyline fruticosum -- some varieties remain undamaged while others show lots of burning on leaves.  

Aechmea blanchetiana -- a few leaves on the very large mother plant looking very bleached.  Though damaged, I think it will still live; the two attached pups look generally good.

Neoregelia 'Kahala Dawn' showing discoloration and misshapen leaves on plant that was more exposed; other plant with more overhead cover undamaged.

Tillandsia secunda -- I have numerous large pups scattered around.  Two in the center 'cold trough' of my garden are looking very pale yellow rather than the usual grey-green.  

Oranges have fallen off the dwarf valencia orange, a few burned leaves.  Dwarf meyer lemon still appears undamaged.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.