IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Telopea truncata

Palm crazy

Well here it is....A little on the small size but I did get a nice note from the nursery owner saying she was sorry it is so small and its more than 2 years old. I planted it this morning. It was growing in cactus mix soil, has lots of roots. Will have a bottle shelter (cloche) over it this coming winter. It might be along long time before it blooms, but I am very happy I got one nonetheless.

I still don't know what the hardiness is of this protea, but I planted it in mostly shade with year round morning sun for half a day. I also planted an acacia seedling (A. pravissima 'weeping roger's') that came up in the garden last summer to give it some overhead protection in a few years. Any growing advise.

DSC00004-3.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Planted with hose guards to protect from evil pedestrians that don't look where there walking,...like me!

DSC00002-2-1.jpg

Planted an Acacia tree for future canopy.

DSC00006-1-2.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Just leave it alone as much as possible, most people kill proteas with kindness. The advice I got from the folks at Kirstenbosch for proteas was enlightening - plant 3 plants in the same vicinity, and odds are 1 of them will do well. Not the most encouraging, but at least I felt better about my own results.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Temperature shouldn't be a problem for you at all. I've seen them growing on exposed mountain sides in full sun where they would get snow cover every year and temps as low as -10C (14F). However they also grow as a rainforest plant, so they are quite adaptable in their light requirements - your position sounds ideal.

The main thing to consider is water, they like to stay moist all year, unlike Protea's, which prefer dry summer conditions. Well drained though. The rainfall zones would be 1000mm, up to 3000mm, evenly distributed with a slight winter peak. Soil is generally nutrient leached, but with high organic content, ie, rainforest soil!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Thank you so much Justin and Jonathan,

That was the kind of information I was looking for, I feel much better knowing it has a good chance growing here, with summer watering.

Hopefully in a few years I will see some of these.

Telopea_truncata_2.jpg

• 7 years later...

Palm Crazy: Just got another Telopea speciosissima today (from the same source as yours). I had a couple before that grew well for awhile and then declined. They were in pots and I think the issue was the soil mix and hard water, more than because of the high summer temps where I live. I'll try again with a more acid/sandy mix and minimum levels of phosphorus. :unsure:

Telopea.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Palm Crazy: Just got another Telopea speciosissima today (from the same source as yours). I had a couple before that grew well for awhile and then declined. They were in pots and I think the issue was the soil mix and hard water, more than because of the high summer temps where I live. I'll try again with a more acid/sandy mix and minimum levels of phosphorus. :unsure:

Telopea.png

Good for You!  Mine ended up dying one hot summer it could not handle the week-long temps above 100F it was also one of the driest summers on record. It does not like the afternoon sun that's for sure.

I saw one in a garden last year that was 8' tall and in bloom in May. Thanks for letting me know you got one...;)

DSC_0065.thumb.JPG.4ddaa4ced309da38288d9d2510672b52.JPG

DSC_0068.thumb.JPG.275faee395ecfdd35f3ce39ee60d1b39.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy

1 hour ago, Palm crazy said:

Good for You!  Mine ended up dying one hot summer it could not handle the week-long temps above 100F it was also one of the driest summers on record. It does not like the afternoon sun that's for sure.

I saw one in a garden last year that was 8' tall and in bloom in May. Thanks for letting me know you got one...;)

DSC_0065.thumb.JPG.4ddaa4ced309da38288d9d2510672b52.JPG

DSC_0068.thumb.JPG.275faee395ecfdd35f3ce39ee60d1b39.JPG

Are those great pictures of your own T. truncata or from another garden? Telopea species and many types of Protea grow successfully in Santa Cruz with their moderate coastal temperatures. I have as much 'luck' with them as I do with Embothrium coccineum, but what's gardening without (zonal) challenges, right?  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

Are those great pictures of your own T. truncata or from another garden? Telopea species and many types of Protea grow successfully in Santa Cruz with their moderate coastal temperatures. I have as much 'luck' with them as I do with Embothrium coccineum, but what's gardening without (zonal) challenges, right?  :unsure:

No not mine, that one is from Windcliff nursery, aka, Dan Hinkley's garden next to Puget Sound in Indianola, WA.

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 12:20 PM, Hillizard said:

Telopea.png

I didn't realize Australian Native Nursery was up and running again after the devastating wildfire that destroyed most of their nursery. Good to know!

Also, if you're ever in the East Bay, Dry Garden Nursery on Shattuck Ave in Berkeley usually carries one or two Telopea in 1-gal size. 

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

I didn't realize Australian Native Nursery was up and running again after the devastating wildfire that destroyed most of their nursery. Good to know!

Also, if you're ever in the East Bay, Dry Garden Nursery on Shattuck Ave in Berkeley usually carries one or two Telopea in 1-gal size. 

Yes, she's back selling plants online and I'd been waiting for her to offer Telopea again. I got a Cassia brewsteri from her before; it's still small but sheltered from frost by a Sago in my garden. I haven't been to the Dry Garden in awhile (technically it's located in Oakland, BTW). Thanks for the tip, I'll check in there this spring. I've gotten several nice palms from him before. Also, a great source for California native plants in Oakland is http://eastbaywilds.com/ but you have to make an appointment in advance to visit his nursery. I am sooo impatient for warmer weather! :winkie:

• Like 1