IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us your Burretiokentia vieillardii

Tomw

I have really become smitten by this palm, and was hoping that everyone would share pictures of theirs.

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

Wow I guess nobody has one, I guess that this more rare than I thought!

North Palm Beach

Tom, I'll get a photo tonight. I've had mine from a teeny seedling for about 6 years; it's in the ground, with about 5 inches of trunk, but it is still quite small. It is by far the slowest Burretiokentia. But IMO it is the prettiest, and at least here in coastal SoCal is pretty tolerant of things, except blazing sun. Doesn't like that.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to the picture.

North Palm Beach

Tom, part of the reason this is probably even smaller than it should be, is that when I got it several years ago, I planted up the hill underneath an Acacia. It susrvived okay, but then the Acacia blew over so I dug it up, re-potted it for a few months & then put it in this location about 3 years ago. It throws 3-4 leaves a year, so I know it's happy, but it doesn't gain much vertical height. I suspect it will begin speeding up though..

post-55-030843700 1318082713_thumb.jpg

Bret

Quaman, you should try adding soil around the bottom of your palm so it's roots are not sticking out of the ground. You'd be suprised and maybe it'll take off in growth.

THese are mine. They are about 2 years old and i just recently put them in the ground.

it will be a few more years before I will enjos the sigt of their crown shafts

post-1017-029820700 1318126583_thumb.jpg

post-1017-022157600 1318126606_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Here's mine...looking a little worse for wear after a very dry winter, and also having a tree fall on it...never trust Allocasuarina!

Daryl

post-42-095202800 1318151792_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl,

Does this palm prefer shade ? Yours looks pretty big already and it does not look like its getting any kind of extensive sun.

Thanks.

Manny

Manny, it gets sun for at least six hours a day. At times it is full sun, but later it is dappled by the palms next to it. It is shaded until mid morning as there is a 120 ft tree just next to it.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl is this the ledgendary B.viellardii that you grew from seed after seeing a photo of one in Langlois`book "Supplement to Palms of the World"? Very nice indeed Regards Craig.

Wow Craig, how did you remember that??? Yes, it is the only surviving one I have from that original batch of seeds.

Daryl

I remember it from an article on growing NC palms in Princeps minor magazine dated around 2001.(for anyone interested this mag was the publication of the Sydney branch of Pacsoa..each issue dealt with members experiences of certain palms amongst other things)This palm must be very special to you.BTW your B.Pancherii is doing fine.Best Craig.

This has been in the ground for 4 years from a 15 gal. post-978-008794700 1318266704_thumb.jpg

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tom. I am lazy when it comes to pictures. I took a bunch today though. Here is my Vieillardii. I bought this one with about 2 feet of trunk already. In 4 years it has really grown fast. Maybe 5 leaves a year and it actually handled full Vista sun more then I expected.

post-649-081608200 1320634608_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Wow Len, that crown shaft is soooo fat. Great looking palm and a fast grower for you too.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hi Tom. I am lazy when it comes to pictures. I took a bunch today though. Here is my Vieillardii. I bought this one with about 2 feet of trunk already. In 4 years it has really grown fast. Maybe 5 leaves a year and it actually handled full Vista sun more then I expected.

Len, you do need to take pics more thats for sure :D Especially when you have stunning palms like this to show. Beautifully grown Len, has it been inground since small? Really neat lookn palm. Pete

Len, you do need to take pics more thats for sure :D Especially when you have stunning palms like this to show. Beautifully grown Len, has it been inground since small? Really neat lookn palm. Pete

:D Len, I only just read what you wrote, i was too busy looking at your palm and not bothered reading..Cheater.. 2 foot of trunk when you bought it, I take back my above comment.. :D No, its a beauty, certainly loves the spot.

Funny Pete. This is the only NewCal plant I have bought that had trunk. I could not say no when I saw it. But now I am kind of sorry as this grows so fast it will be well overhead within 5 more years. I bought this big thinking these were just as slow as adults as babies. I was wrong and learned this after going to Darians.mhe has a Hapala and this palm planted at same time small. This palm must be 20 feet to crown. The Hapala is still eye level. This is the same thing I am noticing with my Hapala. Much slower.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len--that is a seriously awesome palm!

Holy cow Len. That is awesome. What other gems are you holding out on showing?

Bret

Bret

Len,

That is a very interesting observation. When they are small, the vieillardii seems so much more temperamental than the hapala. I have been considering purchasing a large viellardii because of this issue. But, you are saying that the vieillardii is the more robust palm? Can anyone else confirm this?

Joe

Funny Pete. This is the only NewCal plant I have bought that had trunk. I could not say no when I saw it. But now I am kind of sorry as this grows so fast it will be well overhead within 5 more years. I bought this big thinking these were just as slow as adults as babies. I was wrong and learned this after going to Darians.mhe has a Hapala and this palm planted at same time small. This palm must be 20 feet to crown. The Hapala is still eye level. This is the same thing I am noticing with my Hapala. Much slower.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

For me, I am saying it is faster once it has size. Simply go to Docs or my house to see this. I have a good sized Hapala I got from Ron Lawyer about 4 years ago and it now has trunk but puts on maybe 3 leaves a year. It is more robust in size however. This might be about right because when looking at pictures in New Cal, Vieillardii just seems to tower out of the jungle. So it needs speed to get their I woudl assume.

I will be curious to hear what others think.

As far as "temperamental", nothing tops Grandiflora! That thing is a pain to grow for me. At least in pots.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

Wow! That’s what I’m talking about, what a beautiful palm!

North Palm Beach

Thanks, Len...I just want to see what makes the best sense. Seems if I can find a 15 gal, it would be the way to go instead of a trunking one from RS.

I hear you about the grandifloras...I have a dumasii started at the same time as grandiflora, both the same size (4 in pot). The dumasii is a large 5 gal plant, ready to be planted in the ground while the grandiflora is in a one gal, sulking.

I had a small K. magnifica that refused to get happy and finally croaked. Now I am in the hunt for a large one of those as well. I think the grandiflora will either require a lot of patience or croak and I will hopefully be able to find larger ones from more experienced growers.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Wow, some great pictures. So this clearly is not a palm that requires shade as generally suggested. I have about a dozen which I was going to plant in my bush block but now I'm thinking I need to reserve a more prominent position. Don't think I'm going to fret about them growing too fast tough!

• 2 weeks later...

From the descriptions on this thread, I think one of my hapala is a viellardii. The two palms below are the same age. The hapala is bigger and the trunk is easily 50% larger than the 2nd palm.

B. hapala:

DSC_0133.JPG

B viellardii?:

DSC_0134.JPG

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

From the descriptions on this thread, I think one of my hapala is a viellardii. The two palms below are the same age. The hapala is bigger and the trunk is easily 50% larger than the 2nd palm.

B. hapala:

DSC_0133.JPG

B viellardii?:

DSC_0134.JPG

I so look forward to my palms looking like that! When there small I can’t wait for them to get big, and when there big I wish they where smaller

North Palm Beach

• 5 months later...

I wanted to update this thread as the crownshaft is the fatest I have seen it.

post-649-000986400 1337059908_thumb.jpg

post-649-023469400 1337059927_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Geez that things looking cool Len!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

As usual, my palms are tiny. I do enjoy seeing your photos of gorgeous adult trees!

post-4111-069452900 1337084540_thumb.jpg

Cindy Adair

I wanted to update this thread as the crownshaft is the fatest I have seen it.

Whoa! That baby is fat, how cool!

North Palm Beach

This has been in the ground for 4 years from a 15 gal. post-978-008794700 1318266704_thumb.jpg

Wow, I'm planting one this week. I don't know what I've been waiting for.......

MM

I thought this was cool. While cleaning up under my Burretiokentia vieillardii, I found seedlings. Now I have Burretiokentia vieillardii weeds :)

post-649-030462500 1337746305_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thats the best kind of weed to have!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!