Jim in Los Altos

Syagrus sancona

Jim in Los Altos

Mine is trunking and 14 feet tall overall. 26.5F minimum and there's only minor damage to the oldest leaf. Rest of palm looks great.

Several days have now passed and my S. sancona has considerably more brown spotting showing up. Half of its fronds are freckled with 1/4'' brown spots. It will be a couple of years before those leaves are replaced.

spockvr6

These are decently tough palms it seems.  I had a very small one (18" seedling with juvenile leaves) see something around 28-30F (since it was pretty much at ground level where I measured an actual 28F regardless of the "official" temp of 34F taken at 4 ft) last February and it emerged undamaged.

Geoff

Seedling about 1' tall protected by shade cloth slightly burned- nearby temps 27F.  But my 6' tall plant I had at my last house was defoliated by temps 25F... though survived somehow.

Jim in Los Altos

(Jim in Los Altos @ Jan. 15 2007,19:40)

Mine is trunking and 14 feet tall overall. 26.5F minimum and there's only minor damage to the oldest leaf. Rest of palm looks great.

Some spotting has shown up on this palm on half of its leaves now that some time has passed. Looks like it will be fine though. Unfortunately it's a slow grower.

Palmy

I have about 8 seedlings. They are all on their 5 leaf. They held up pretty nicely considering the temp. Where the palm was located it was about 26F. Just some spots. They will all look great at the end of the summer.

Palmy

^ all of them fried. I can probably save 2 of them.

Bayou Bob
:D  :;): I have an S. sancona I got from Gary Wood a few years ago that  has been growing well in the ground. When I got it from Gary it was a struggling 15gal. that had been frozen back to the spear at 24. This year it experienced its' first frost in northern California, 5 or 6 nights at 30-32 and has only 10% brown-tipping on a newly-opening lime green frond. It's likely only to grow up here in the warmest, frost-free parts of Sunset Zone 17, but I expect to see it be a tree some day.

Joe palma

Have seven average size 15g plants (no pinnate fronds yet), came out of a green house a year ago, 2-3' tall, medium canopy, saw 32F, frost one night, minimal wind exposure, all defoliated, might make it.

1g, plants, minimal canopy, no wind exposure, lost about 10 of these and the rest look pretty bad.

Rafael

Mine saw 32F for 3 nights in a row, below dense canopy. Untouched.

dalmatiansoap

Any pics of it?

Rafael

Any pics of it?

Here it is :)

post-3292-0-60972700-1388446859_thumb.jp

• Like 1

gyuseppe
Dead to -4 degrees celsius

dalmatiansoap

Cute fellow Rafael!

:greenthumb: