IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus sancona

Jim in Los Altos

Mine is trunking and 14 feet tall overall. 26.5F minimum and there's only minor damage to the oldest leaf. Rest of palm looks great.

Several days have now passed and my S. sancona has considerably more brown spotting showing up. Half of its fronds are freckled with 1/4'' brown spots. It will be a couple of years before those leaves are replaced.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

These are decently tough palms it seems.  I had a very small one (18" seedling with juvenile leaves) see something around 28-30F (since it was pretty much at ground level where I measured an actual 28F regardless of the "official" temp of 34F taken at 4 ft) last February and it emerged undamaged.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Seedling about 1' tall protected by shade cloth slightly burned- nearby temps 27F.  But my 6' tall plant I had at my last house was defoliated by temps 25F... though survived somehow.

(Jim in Los Altos @ Jan. 15 2007,19:40)

Mine is trunking and 14 feet tall overall. 26.5F minimum and there's only minor damage to the oldest leaf. Rest of palm looks great.

Some spotting has shown up on this palm on half of its leaves now that some time has passed. Looks like it will be fine though. Unfortunately it's a slow grower.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I have about 8 seedlings. They are all on their 5 leaf. They held up pretty nicely considering the temp. Where the palm was located it was about 26F. Just some spots. They will all look great at the end of the summer.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

• 2 weeks later...
:D  :;): I have an S. sancona I got from Gary Wood a few years ago that  has been growing well in the ground. When I got it from Gary it was a struggling 15gal. that had been frozen back to the spear at 24. This year it experienced its' first frost in northern California, 5 or 6 nights at 30-32 and has only 10% brown-tipping on a newly-opening lime green frond. It's likely only to grow up here in the warmest, frost-free parts of Sunset Zone 17, but I expect to see it be a tree some day.

Zone 10a, at sea level, eastern shore of San Francisco Bay,where baymuck met dry land 100 years ago;  swampy  during the rainy season;rarely below 35F or above 95F;  Northern  California Chapter Vice-President and Oakland Lakeside Palmetum Director

• 2 months later...

Have seven average size 15g plants (no pinnate fronds yet), came out of a green house a year ago, 2-3' tall, medium canopy, saw 32F, frost one night, minimal wind exposure, all defoliated, might make it.

1g, plants, minimal canopy, no wind exposure, lost about 10 of these and the rest look pretty bad.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

• 6 years later...