IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis decaryi

epicure3

Double. Largest stem is about 7-8 feet tall with about 1.5 feet of trunk. Fully exposed.

After 29F. No frost.

No damage seen.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Epi-

These palms are tough tough tough!

One down the street from me saw 27F with vicious winds 3 years ago and was undamaged.

I am honestly not sure why every central FL yard does not have one.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 15 2007,22:39)

Epi-

These palms are tough tough tough!

One down the street from me saw 27F with vicious winds 3 years ago and was undamaged.

I am honestly not sure why every central FL yard does not have one.

That's pretty cool. I thought it was too hot and humid for that species.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I have 4 triangles, the largest having a couple feet of woody trunk and 12' tall overall. No damage at all with 26.5F minimum but little frost.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

(epicure3 @ Jan. 15 2007,22:47)

Given water and heat, these palms (like so many others) seem to grow very quickly.  But, I understand out in California, they do not like water so much and can easily rot?

I drench all of mine like they are Queens and they have rewarded me with fast growth.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 15 2007,23:11)

(epicure3 @ Jan. 15 2007,22:47)

Given water and heat, these palms (like so many others) seem to grow very quickly.  But, I understand out in California, they do not like water so much and can easily rot?

I drench all of mine like they are Queens and they have rewarded me with fast growth.

I'm sorry. I was referring to the rhopalostylis on another thread. My bad. Typing too fast and not paying attention. I think the damage to my brain after 29F might be terminal.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

D. decaryi, in cement pot, 2" dia stem

24.1F, no frost

2 feet away from garage wall, no overhang, no canopy

no damage

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

On a sharp slope, three feet tall, to the tip of the spear.

About 27 FF, no damage seen so far, after two days of this, er, fecal material . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

7' foot plant with 8" of woody trunkd coldest sensor read 29 and is in completely exposed full sun location.  Slight bronzing of undersides of oldest fronds, newest fronds show no damage and D decaryi shows no damage

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

6 year old seedling, growing slowly for years for some reason... in cactus garden (maybe lack of water?).. anyway, only about 4' tall overall, and was exposed to 27F for 5 hours +... and some leaf burn so far.  Have had this species before go down to 25F and die.  So was surprised by lack of damage.

Ooops... just checked on that plant... taking longer to show damage than other palms, but all leaves look bad now... spike seems ok though.

Noticed mine suffered minor/ moderate leaf browning at 26F, on hillside. Like Geoff, took a couple days to show up. Should be fine.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I had 2 nights at 25F,5mph wind,8 hours exposure to minimum both nights,no frost,wrapped with a sheet.Complete defoliation!Spear is still green though and I expect it to recover.Like others have commented,it takes a few days for the damage to become obvious on this one.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1169255504_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Fallbrook  CA

5 nights sub 25

About 4' clear trunk,  showed very little damage for first week now is showing some major leaf burn but they are still solid and the spear looks OK

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

• 11 months later...

Went below 32F at 330am, went back above 32F by 830am. 5 total hours of freezing temperatures. Ultimate low of 29.7F with 7.6 "freezing degree hours" calculated as discussed in the weather forum. Moderate winds varying from NNW to NNE all night, dewpoints in low teens, no frost. No overhead canopy in my yard. No protection provided. Photos from 4 days after the freeze event.

Minimal damage.

Southeast corner of house.

IMG_4117Large.jpg

IMG_4118Large.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Jan. 08 2008,22:08)

Went below 32F at 330am, went back above 32F by 830am. 5 total hours of freezing temperatures. Ultimate low of 29.7F with 7.6 "freezing degree hours" calculated as discussed in the weather forum. Moderate winds varying from NNW to NNE all night, dewpoints in low teens, no frost. No overhead canopy in my yard. No protection provided. Photos from 4 days after the freeze event.

Minimal damage.

Southeast corner of house.

IMG_4117Large.jpg

IMG_4118Large.jpg

What is that other cool little plant you got going there with the red veins and bracts?

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That is a sea grape. You might give one a try. I think they can come back from the roots if the ground does not freeze solid.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Sea grape (Coccoloba uvifera) readily regrows from the roots after freezes or fire (which was historically prevalent in its Atlantic-coast Florida beach habitat).  In the absence of cold, they can get quite large.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I have one that is about 6 foot and 1 foot of trunk.  

29F for 2 hours

Below 32 for 5 hours

No frost

Fronds were  tied up and wrapped in frost cloth.  The trunk was wrapped in Christmas lights and then wrapped in an insulated material.

VERY marginal frond discoloration on the older branches.

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

• 6 months later...

have to ammend my comments above. Palm took a week to show it, but dead dead dead.. that makes 100% of the Dypsis decaryis growing in the SAn Fernando Valley, that I know of, DEAD. Seems just this plant takes a week or so to know it's dead after being frozen to death. This is NOt a cold tolerant palm, at least not in the mid 20s. Sad.

have to ammend my comments above. Palm took a week to show it, but dead dead dead.. that makes 100% of the Dypsis decaryis growing in the SAn Fernando Valley, that I know of, DEAD. Seems just this plant takes a week or so to know it's dead after being frozen to death. This is NOt a cold tolerant palm, at least not in the mid 20s. Sad.

OUCH!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 5 weeks later...

How do you get rid of these Triangles?They are about to take the cement out around the pool.

What you look for is what is looking

This one has been in the ground for a little over a year. It is about 8 foot tall with about 6 inches of clear trunk and is in an open space. It survived 2 days of brief periods of 27 degrees. Both days there was a light frost. The tips of the fronds suffered some burning but the palm came back very well during the summer putting on 45 new fronds. SInce we had no advance notice of the frost and cold snap it was not covered. I did have the trunk wrapped in Christmas lights.

This year I plan on keeping the fronds wrapped in frost cloth from December to March to avoid any frost burn. I will also wrap the fronds in Christmas lightsw to add a little more warmth.

This picture was taken in August of this year. You can still see winter damage on the bottom fronds of the palm that were trimmed back. Since this picture, the unopened spear has opened and another one is there about the same size.

DSCF2117.jpg

Edited by Big Tex

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

How do you get rid of these Triangles?They are about to take the cement out around the pool.

Bubba. Show us some pictures. VERY< VERY unusal to see a palm move concrete. Suspect some other plant is doing it. A tree that has come in for the water?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

BS, I was being a little Too clever in my comments.We have three around the pool that are starting to get very large.They have not threatened the concrete.We had a Turbo-Master that was planted at the same time that grew so fast we did have to take it out.It was a beauty but was kinda of a ball hog.

What you look for is what is looking

• 1 month later...
That is a sea grape. You might give one a try. I think they can come back from the roots if the ground does not freeze solid.

I have one in the ground near the bayou. It was underwater for over a week with recent hurricanes (fresh water) and seems to have liked it. We will see if it make the winter.

BTW - My African Oil Palm which was planted next to it, succumbed under the waters.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 3 months later...

I have one in the ground with about 1ft of CT it has seen two nights below32f one with frost and has shown no damage at all.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

• 10 months later...

I have a triangle that is 12 years old from seed planted in Lake Elsinore, CA where it saw 22 degree lows with some short frost spells during the 2007 winter but frequently saw temperatures below 30 degrees. This thing is tough as nails. Recently transplanted it to its new home in Murrieta, CA where the climate is generally a little more mild...but not by much than Lake Elsinore. The palm now has about 3 feet of clear trunk. Beautiful Palm that all palm gardens should have.

Chad

Growing my palms in the Murrieta, CA where it is 110*F in the summer and 27*F in the winter.

• 5 months later...

5-gallon sized palm exhibited major damage after an ultimate low of 16F with several night-time lows in the 20's and 30's Originally, palm appeared dead but has since put fort the remaining portion of the spear not burned and appears to be growing. Palm was protected with leaves and a bucket.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 8 months later...

post-275-088025800 1297370505_thumb.jpg

December brought 26º F at the airport less than a mile away. Lots of wind, no frost. Two weeks later, 28.

This D. decaryi had some leaf browning from last winter (less severe cold, but much more persistent), and has sustained a bit more this year.

• 1 month later...

There is continued leaf browning; the palm now looks considerably worse than in the photo. I'm surprised at this slow, continuing damage. New growth looks OK.

• 5 years later...

28 (probably more like 27) since it has nothing around and lost head due to radiation. Coldest it has been in 3 years. 

100% brown, not sure to keep growing this in this spot if it is such a wimp. I guess it shoud recover but not sure how long it will take to look good again.  Out of all my palms this one took the hardest hit by far and I am growing wodyetias, roystoneas etc. All have minor damage 

Edited by enigma99