IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society (CFPACS)

Central Floridave

CFPACS has been running a little low right now, but I've volunteered to run the club. I'm not the best organizer but am looking for a stronger year in 2012. We put out one newsletter in July and putting another out this Month.

I would like to use the Dec.10th meeting to get better organized and plan out 2012 with dates with meetings/tours/sales.

Our next meeting will be Dec.10th. Two gardens in Brevard County. Neil Y. in the morning and then mine in the afternoon. More details to follow.

You can contact me through my email address. I'll post more later.

David Reid

damy5@juno.com

David,

Good luck with the society and I hope some others will join in with the help.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

David,

I wish you good luck with this!

We were trying to get a nominating committee for one of the orchid societies I belong to. No on would even volunteer for that! I gave them a pretty harsh talking to at the last meeting. I told them if they wanted a club next year, someone better step up to the plate. No officers, no meetings. I told them all they wanted to do was show up and have refreshments. We did get a committee but not sure if we have any volunteers for officers. And the biggest complainers are the ones who won't do anything.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks for the encouragement! Trust me, I need it!

Thankfully CFPACS has a pretty good group of core members that want to see it succeed. We have put out one newsletter for 2011 and the 2nd one is coming out in the next couple weeks. We are shy of what we want to do, but are ramping up for a stronger 2012.

Put Dec.10th, 2011 down on your calender. Thanks.

Neil's yard hasn't been visited in some time.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bump! Just a week away.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I am not going to be able to make the meeting but Leu Gardens is donating the following plants for the auction;

Archontophoenix maxima

Attalea colenda

Bactris gasipaes

Brahea clara

Calamus erinaceus

Caryota obtusa (China)

Caryota sp. “Himalayan”

Chamaedorea elegans ‘Negrita’

Chelyocarpus chuco

Dypsis confusa

Dypsis ovobontsira

Dypsis procera

Dypsis scottiana

Licuala fordiana

Livistona inermis

Livistona lanuginosa

Livistona rigida

Myrialepis paradoxa

Nannorrhops ritchiana (Kashmir form)

Phoenix loureiroi var. pendunculata (formerly humilis)

Pritchardia ayler-robinsonii

Sabal miamiensis

Dracaena cambodiana

Pandanus bernardii- Screw-Pine

Pandanus mc-keei- Screw-Pine

Pandanus pancherii- Screw-Pine

Pandanus spiralis- Screw-Pine

Pandanus veillonii- Screw-Pine

Scirpodendron ghaeri

Delonix regia (yellow flowering form)- Royal Poinciana

Podocarpus costalis

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks for the generous donation, Eric! Attached is a pdf with descriptions of the plants donated by Leu Gardens.

I lam looking forward to this meeting - hope to see many of you there. Thanks, Dave for stepping up to become president. I hope that we will get a lot of volunteers to help you move forward with CFPACS in 2012!

Leu Auction Plants Dec 2011.pdf

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

By the way, all are welcome at our meetings, members and non-members alike. However, you must be a member to bid on the auction plants (you can join at the meeting).

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Add 2 more I forgot;

Araucaria cunninghamii- Hoop-Pine

Araucaria cunninghamii- Hoop-Pine (glaucous form but not the cultivar 'Glauca')

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks Eric and Bob! Both you guys rock!

Check out the awesome door prizes as well. To be eligible you must be a current CFPACS member before the drawing (join or renew on Saturday) and must be present during the drawing. Drawing will be after the auction around 3:30pm. Give or take.

Very nice Buccaneer palm donated by GTC Palms of Brevard. ( http://www.foxtail-palms.com/ )

post-147-008938800 1323218542_thumb.jpg

And, this palm donated by me. Red Latania

post-147-019685500 1323218590_thumb.jpg

There is more as well not mentioned.

For those who have not been to Brevard County in awhile there is a new exit off of I-95 that avoids the other exit's traffic and is much quicker than the others. it is exit 188, 404 Pineda Extension.

It is South of Wickham Road exit, and North of Eau Gallie Boulevard. You will definitely want to seek this exit out as it will save you around 5 or ten minutes of driving time.

I think the exit signs say Satellite Beach exit. Take the 404 all the way to the Ocean and it dead ends into A1A. To get to Neil's place take a right (South) on A1A and travel a few miles past Satellite Beach and into Indian Harbor beach. From there use your favorite mapper to get to Neil's. He is off of PInetree where Lowes is at right on A1A. To get to my house after Neil's, the recommended route is to take Mather's bridge and South Tropical Trail (SR-3) and about 7 miles to my place. I'm not a detail oriented person so the rest is up to you! Or, email me if what I just typed is too confusing. damy5@Juno.com

You can also google cfpacs and find its facebook page. Both Neil and I are looking forward to this meeting. I think everyone will be really impressed with Neil's yard. For my yard, I got the annual rye grass kicking. So come over and watch the grass grow! LOL...

I pulled the plants out of the greenhouse for the auction this morning and found a few others to add;

Arenga engleri

Phoenix roebelenii 'Variegata'

Phoenix roebelenii x dactylifera

Dracaena cochinchinensis (formerly D. loureiroi)

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

phil Stager. Ray hernandez and my self will be in attendence, so glad to hear of the rebirth and will be good to see others, we have done a ton of work and new installations at GKPA the last 1 1/2 years. so things are looking good and exciting things coming up in 2012, St Pete Parks and Recreation Department, is beginning an entire rewroking of the Parks website and with that we will be able to get a much more comprehensive area on it for GKPA.

we are also starting to work on getting QR codes on signage there, new maps are done and up.

Sorry i have been way remiss in updating but been swamped with work and Life, so hopefully in 2012 i'll do better at keeping everyone up to date, I intend to renew at the meeting. Congratulations Dave Reid and many thanks for stepping up. look forward to meeting you

Rick Nale

Dang it!! My computer has been down and i did'nt see this thread! I would've loved to have been there. I have been slow with work so i have'nt been able to attend and buy any new material but the meetings are fun none the less.

Please keep giving notices like you did of future meetings, i would like to attend and i have a friend who i need to introduce to the CFPACS society.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Sorry you missed it. It was a great turn out. Around 40 people and about 100 palms left home to new owners!

Thanks Eric for all the donations. That was an amazing collection and I bought ton of them and have some new screw pines and others to check out.

Also, thanks for everyone for making the long drive. This club has a long stretch from the Gulf Coast to the Atlantic. Hopefully everyone left happy.

Great meeting Dave! Thanks again to you and Neil for hosting.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Great pictures of a beautiful yard. It's great to hear you had such a big crowd show up. And the selection of palms for auction was superb, to say the least!!!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Catherine, the pics are of the 2011 December meeting. There is no December meeting scheduled this year, so you have not missed anything. We had a great March meeting in St. Pete - Kopsick and Mike and Marjorie Evans' garden. That was our only meeting for 2012.

CFPACS is currently looking for a new president, treasurer, newsletter editor and webmaster, if anyone is interested in volunteering. Hopefully we can get some new leadership and put together a full meeting schedule for 2013.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

I nominate Lucinda McCartney for CFPACS president..

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I nominate Lucinda McCartney for CFPACS president..

Thanks, Ray. The board is discussing future plans for CFPACS and things are looking very hopeful. We are still going to need everyone to pitch in to sign up members and get a full meeting schedule for 2013, among other things. We hope to have an announcement by Christmas.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA