IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalostylis sapida

epicure3

After 29F no frost.

10 feet tall with about 1/2 foot of trunk. No damage seen.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

About 29 FF:

No trunk.  

Full canopy.  

So far, no damage, after two nights of nasty cold.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Too bad I can't grow R. sapida down here.  They don't make enough cold tolerant crownshaft palms.

• Like 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Potted 7 gal's moved just into garage entrance with no added heat.  Outside low 24F, maybe one or two degrees higher in their protected position, virtually no damage.  Minor tip burn and virtually  no spotting.  A Keeper to be planted soon!

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 16 2007,07:25)

Too bad I can't grow R. sapida down here.  They don't make enough cold tolerant crownshaft palms.

Maybe. But I'm glad I didn't have an adonidia planted.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Probably got into the mid twenties ( a guess here on this number- 23.4 deg. F in the open was the low)with no protection up against the house. There was a ficus Benamanica (?) growing on the neighbors side of the house so it's a pretty good area- the houses are like 10 feet apart so it's a bit of a microclimate.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Larger (non trunking) plant on hillside, no damage at 27F. Smaller 5 gal size in front: 26F, no frost, moderate leaf burn.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Update:

Three sappies, one a little baby (under 12" tall) another about three feet tall, and a third about 6 feet tall (no trunk yet)

Four days of 28-29 F, no damage.

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

One 6 footer and two 1 footers in the ground under very large Deodar cedar. 26.5F minimum. No damage at all.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

• 2 weeks later...

These things are amazing.

They are out in the full blistering Guada-La Habra sun all summer, followed by a hellacious four nights of 28-29, F, and not a scratch!  

Compared to the R. baueri, they're much hardier.  The opposite of what I'd been (foolishly) led to believe.

post-208-1170028973_thumb.jpg

Even this baby came through fine.

(12" long shoe, 30 cm)

post-208-1170029046_thumb.jpg

Artsy-fartsy closeup of the big one:

post-208-1170029094_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, my one is the same size as the one in your Sneaker shot.

Last year it has taken down to 27.5f to 25f without any damage.

It will be interesting to see how it has survived 24f this time around.

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

• 1 month later...

Up date.

My Rhopies have taken -4.4 to -4.8 oC,  so 23 degrees F ish.

50% leaf burn on the one planted, 90% leaf burn for the two in pots. Spears on all three look OK for now.

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

• 6 months later...

I'll add my 2 cents that both mine came through ok. The small 1 gal. was in the ground at the coldest part of the yard. Pretty impressive..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

• 3 months later...

Three plants, 4' to 8' OA height

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

50% defoliated

Fully recovered

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 4 months later...

I have just one little Rhopalostylis sapida var. Oceana,

no trunk three leaves,

it tooks with no damage 26 F (-3 C) with little protection.

bye

Federico

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

• 2 months later...

A belated update. The one in the ground fried as did one in a pot, the second one in the pot got 50% defoliation but has now fully recoverd. I guess 23F/-5C is the limit.

Regards Andy.

• 1 year later...

Updated to say that I have now got 3 which took 3 weeks of sub zero temps with at least 2 excursions to -4c/24.8v and 2 lower dips to -5c/23f. One is planted and has a pop up fleece cover, the other 2 are still in pots, the smaller of the 2 is my orininal one. This has grown steadily over the years without any further damage. Both the potted ones are understory to the Acacia. None of them have any damage at all.

Regards Andy,

• 1 month later...

Updated to say that I have now got 3 which took 3 weeks of sub zero temps with at least 2 excursions to -4c/24.8v and 2 lower dips to -5c/23f. One is planted and has a pop up fleece cover, the other 2 are still in pots, the smaller of the 2 is my orininal one. This has grown steadily over the years without any further damage. Both the potted ones are understory to the Acacia. None of them have any damage at all.

Regards Andy,

What s the size of the potted?

I will receive one 80 cm, should i put it on the ground ?

• 6 years later...