IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Name this palm game

Ken Johnson

Rich, is it Arenga australasica? Whatever it is, it is nice!

Jody

Not that one Jody. The second photo is not my plant btw but they grow very well here.

Edited by richnorm

Rich, is it Arenga australasica? Whatever it is, it is nice!

Jody

Not that one Jody. The second photo is not my plant btw but they grow very well here.

tremula? there I took a guess

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I want to clarify that palms in that genus have trunks but keep persistent leaf bases for a very long time. It very characteristic of these palms. Not sure if the caretakers of this particular palm cleaned it manually or it is natural for this species, which is rare in cultivation and for a period of time was taxonomically lumped together with another more common species.

I want to clarify that palms in that genus have trunks but keep persistent leaf bases for a very long time. It very characteristic of these palms. Not sure if the caretakers of this particular palm cleaned it manually or it is natural for this species, which is rare in cultivation and for a period of time was taxonomically lumped together with another more common species.

So that one is colpothrinax?

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Hah... and here I was thinking you were talking about a genus of trunkless palms with one representative species that grows an above-ground trunk! Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, we refer to "clear trunk" in the nursery/landscaping industry here in Florida as the above-ground portion of the trunk between the ground and where the first leaves emerge from the trunk--regardless if the old leaf bases are attached or not. The term that Sabal palm brokers here in FL use for a trunk devoid (or purposely cleaned) of old leaf bases is "slick," as opposed to "booted" when the old leaf bases, or "boots," are still attached... just in case anyone was interested.

Jody

Alex, Leucothrinax???

But he said rare in cultivation.

shure looks like that complex though

All species of Thrinax/Leucothrinax lose their leaf bases when they get older, though.

Jody

Hah... and here I was thinking you were talking about a genus of trunkless palms with one representative species that grows an above-ground trunk! Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, we refer to "clear trunk" in the nursery/landscaping industry here in Florida as the above-ground portion of the trunk between the ground and where the first leaves emerge from the trunk--regardless if the old leaf bases are attached or not. The term that Sabal palm brokers here in FL use for a trunk devoid (or purposely cleaned) of old leaf bases is "slick," as opposed to "booted" when the old leaf bases, or "boots," are still attached... just in case anyone was interested.

Jody

Jody thanks for letting me know. I'm still learning the palm language.

Complete picture. I obscured the label on the bottom.

post-3501-023723200 1318472467_thumb.jpg

My guess was not correct?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Complete picture. I obscured the label on the bottom.

post-3501-023723200 1318472467_thumb.jpg

My guess was not correct?

Len, sorry missed your post. No, it's not a Schippia.

Thrithrinax acanthocoma

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

I stink. I think I will stick to growing them rather then guessing them.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Here is another one:

post-1566-001784400 1318503055_thumb.jpg

Jody

Looks like a Hyphaene to me. I'm thinking H. petersiana. On my H. thebaica the teeth are dark and H. coriaceas have some color there.

Yes, Alex, it is Hyphaene, but I don't know which species. Here is the whole palm:

post-1566-033705700 1318540782_thumb.jpg

Jody

Edited by virtualpalm

No you are all wrong so far but here's a hint. The vertical skinny multicoloured thing in the middle of the picture is its trunk. Bruce is the one with the round leaf a drymophleus species ? Rich it looks like arenga australasica to me.

Peachy

Sorry Peachy I have been away, no it is actually a Wettinia, but which one, the other one was Licuala ramsayi :)

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

No you are all wrong so far but here's a hint. The vertical skinny multicoloured thing in the middle of the picture is its trunk. Bruce is the one with the round leaf a drymophleus species ? Rich it looks like arenga australasica to me.

Peachy

Sorry Peachy I have been away, no it is actually a Wettinia, but which one, the other one was Licuala ramsayi :)

Did Jody get the wettinia wrong? And that livistona looking thing is a Licuala? Dang.

And what is Peachy's thing?

And that spotted thing?

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Peachy

Did Jody get the wettinia wrong? And that livistona looking thing is a Licuala? Dang.

And what is Peachy's thing?

And that spotted thing?

Ken I think Jodi said Iriartea deltoidea, it was Wettinia quinaria, Still not sure about Peachy's ??

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Ken, you created a monster!!!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Oops... It is amazing how closely that Wettinia resembles Iriartea, though. Anyway, here is another that should be fairly easy:

post-1566-049256800 1318586591_thumb.jpg

Jody

Syagrus botryophora?

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.