IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS website past issues is broken!

Mandrew968

I know this site has been recently overhauled(at my request), but I don't believe anything has changed. I still can't retrieve past issues(some issues can be clicked on and viewed, but mostly they cannot)! As an IPS member, I am perterbed to say the least. I don't want my money back(as I hope it goes to worthy palm conservation), but how can I honestly reccomend the IPS to potential members?! Palms and Principes is why I joined the IPS and I still cannot access this reading material in all the time I have been a member.

When I click on the article, Adobe asks me to accept their terms and I do, then I am met with a runtime error and my entire window is closed! If this were just one or two issues, I would just find another one to read, but that one closes the window too! Seriously, why is this happening?????

My IPS renewal will be coming up soon... Is this a permanent thing, or am I to be assured I can actually read some past issues, come next year?

I know this site has been recently overhauled(at my request), but I don't believe anything has changed. I still can't retrieve past issues(some issues can be clicked on and viewed, but mostly they cannot)! As an IPS member, I am perterbed to say the least. I don't want my money back(as I hope it goes to worthy palm conservation), but how can I honestly reccomend the IPS to potential members?! Palms and Principes is why I joined the IPS and I still cannot access this reading material in all the time I have been a member.

When I click on the article, Adobe asks me to accept their terms and I do, then I am met with a runtime error and my entire window is closed! If this were just one or two issues, I would just find another one to read, but that one closes the window too! Seriously, why is this happening?????

My IPS renewal will be coming up soon... Is this a permanent thing, or am I to be assured I can actually read some past issues, come next year?

Liz at the IPS site should really be addressing your issues. So you should contact her. This has nothing at all to do with the PalmTalk site or server.

But, I will assume she would need much more information. I would also assume the problem is on your end, since no one else has complained. Have you tried a different computer? A different browser? What OS are you using? Are you using third party anti-virus/firewall? If you have tried and been unsuccessful using different machines and/or software, then the problem is probably unique to your account or login, and Liz should easily be able to address your specific issue if you contact her.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Please call me or email with regard to the problems you are having accessing past copies of Palms and Principes. I am not aware of any issues with this part of the website and am able to access issues back to 1956.

Email me at info@palms.org

Call : 512 301 2744 or cell 512 466 3210

Could you let me know what operating system you are using? This sounds like a firewall issue. You should not be seeing an Adobe prompt of any kind. The files are large, but should open with just a click.

Liz Stansfeld - Webmaster

It's working for me.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 3 weeks later...

The Quest for Jubaeopsis caffra , the Pondoland Palm

Ed Brown. April 1991

I can't open this article--is it my computer???

Ed Brown. April 1991

You should check with the IPS site.

Ed Brown. April 1991

I was.

Ed Brown. April 1991

I was.

And what did they say?

Ed Brown. April 1991

I was.

And what did they say?

page could not be found...

Sorry, I meant what did the people (Liz) on the IPS site tell you when you checked with them?

Notes on Roystonea in Cuba

Scott Zona

I couldn't open this article either, and I used a different computer... I don't think 1991 is archived--I have not talked to Liz or anyone else. How would you suggest I contact them?

Thanks again, Palm Mod :)

Notes on Roystonea in Cuba

Scott Zona

I couldn't open this article either, and I used a different computer... I don't think 1991 is archived--I have not talked to Liz or anyone else. How would you suggest I contact them?

Thanks again, Palm Mod :)

Click on the IPS logo at the top of this page. That will take you to the IPS site. There is contact information for Liz in the pull down menu under the "Society" tab.

Or refer to her post at the beginning of this topic where she has already provided her email, phone, and cell phone number.

• 2 weeks later...

Liz emailed me back and has fixed half of the articles so far--still cannot access notes on Roystonea...

Andrew,

Remember that PT and the IPS web site are two different things. Dean is always helpful as he has been here but this is an issue to take up with Liz, she runs the IPS site where the articles are. She is paid by IPS to run that part and I am sure she will get it straightened out. Glad though that you found the problems so that they can be fixed for others to enjoy.

Our IPS site could use lots of help from members too and the Board is always looking for people to help. In fact the committee that is in charge of looking after this may have an opening right now. If you are really interested you could run for the board yourself. There are so few people that want to be on the board that the elections are NEVER contested so just saying you want to be on the board almost assures you a position. You do not need to spend any money to be on the board as attendance at meetings is not mandatory but if you help to run the IPS web site and do other work you will be a valuable board member.

Ken

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Thanks Ken--I have emailed Liz about the glitch, already. I am just keeping Dean in the "know"; he is and has been very helpful...

Everything working el perfecto here!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You can access any of the articles from Vol 35. No. 4 October 1991? I cannot on my current computer... I will try another computer to eliminate the possibility that this particular computer is having issues(although I can access other files from other years, on this current computer...).