IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Veitchia arecina

epicure3

Low of 29 on Sat AM. No frost

Inventory includes:

2 triples about 14 feet tall with about 10 feet of trunk. Each has about 8 fronds. 1 has freeze damage on one frond of the largest stem. The smaller stems show no damage. The other triple shows not damage as of yet.

1 single about 8 feet tall with about 5 feet of trunk shows no damage due to being protected with heat.

1 other triple with stems of equal size are about 10 feet tall with about 6-7 feet of trunk. No damage visible yet.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

What were the temps experienced and was any of the foliage subjected to frost?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 15 2007,22:14)

What were the temps experienced and was any of the foliage subjected to frost?

I had one day of below freezing temperatures (29F) with no frost so the damage was just out and out freeze damage. Seems relegated to just one frond, however. For now.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Epi-

Thanks for the clarification....frost is a big deal to us FL folk.  We can get frost in the middle (to sometimes upper) 30's air temps.

And, this frost can sometimes do more damage than the actual air temp.

And...to keep this pertintent to your V. arecina thread....I had a 10 ft specimen of this palm experience about a foot of burned foliage on the highest skyward facing frond at 34F measured air temp at 5 ft.  I am all but sure this came from frost.  And, Im also almost positive that the air temp where this leaf got burned was 35+F (since the air was dead calm, very wet and a tremendous gradient had developed).

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 15 2007,22:24)

Epi-

Thanks for the clarification....frost is a big deal to us FL folk.  We can get frost in the middle (to sometimes upper) 30's air temps.

And, this frost can sometimes do more damage than the actual air temp.

And...to keep this pertintent to your V. arecina thread....I had a 10 ft specimen of this palm experience about a foot of burned foliage on the highest skyward facing frond at 34F measured air temp at 5 ft.  I am all but sure this came from frost.  And, Im also almost positive that the air temp where this leaf got burned was 35+F (since the air was dead calm, very wet and a tremendous gradient had developed).

Did it live??

I need to back and amend my posts to include no frost.

Thanks

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(epicure3 @ Jan. 15 2007,22:26)

Did it live??

I need to back and amend my posts to include no frost.

Thanks

It did more than that.

Its now got about 5 ft+ of trunk!  These palms are probably the fastest (or perhaps second fastest) palms in my yard.

The burned foliage did not seem to affect it growthwise at all.  

Here is May 2005 (the V. arecina is the palm on the far right of the trio...nothing but a recently planted tall seedling)---

5-18-2005.jpg

Here is March 2006 about 1 month after the highest leaf sustained damage.  The Foxtail in the middle and the A. cunninghamiana on the right were undamaged.  The damage to the Veitchia can be seen in the photo if you look at the highest leaf----

3-19-2006.jpg

Here is the palm as of early January 2007---

Yard_61.jpg

Larry 

Wow. That is impressive. I have noticed that all mine throw out lots of new fronds and grow pretty fast even in this relatively cool climate.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(epicure3 @ Jan. 15 2007,22:49)

Wow. That is impressive. I have noticed that all mine throw out lots of new fronds and grow pretty fast even in this relatively cool climate.

Ill bet mine looks worse in the March 2005 photo at 34-35F with frost than yours does after 29F and no frost.

Larry 

(frisbee @ Jan. 15 2007,22:59)

Here is how it looked after seeing 21F.

Frisbee-

I think its safe to say that one isnt coming back  :(

Larry 

Near as I can tell, one night in the upper twenties, FF (28?) KFC'd three of them, from fives and fifteens, about three feet tall.

Cry!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Coldest minimum : 37F

So so

P4220003.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

• 2 months later...

30 three gallon plants (triples), never in green house, 2 yrs old, 4 leaves, 12" height, under 65% shade cloth, saw 32F, frost at least one night, no wind exposure, 95% of them are dead, others show green spike only but I'm not holding my breath!

20 five gallon plants (some multi's), never in green house, +3 yrs old, 4-5 leaves 1.5-2' tall, minimal canopy, minimal wind exposure, 90% of them are dead as well.

I'll stop growing these!

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

My 3 gal. V. arecina get defoliated by frost exposure frequently, and despite my believing they were toast several times, they mostly come back, mostly.  Don't give up hope on them, even the ones without a green spear.  You may be surprised by a few.

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Lost 2 of 3 5 gal because I left them out in the open on the hill.  I don't think the cold killed them but it was the constant wind + cold for the 5 or 6 days of cold in January.  Bummer.  I should have put them next to the fence or the south side.  I put my spindle there and it didn't get a slight burn.  It actually shot out a new frond at that time.

As an update to mine.....

2 of 3 stems on a triple have opened new fronds.

1 single has opened a new frond.

the others haven't yet, but spears are growing.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the last of my V. arecina just croaked yesterday.  It was a result of damage from the Great Freeze of 2006.  A final  test (pulled spear) proved to be its fatal ending.  %&$@!

• 4 months later...

I had one that had been planted in ground in early summer. Appeared to be killed outright by mid-twenties temps. Took a couple months for it to be obvious to me.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

• 3 months later...

Went below 32F at 330am, went back above 32F by 830am. 5 total hours of freezing temperatures. Ultimate low of 29.7F with 7.6 "freezing degree hours" calculated as discussed in the weather forum. Moderate winds varying from NNW to NNE all night, dewpoints in low teens, no frost. No overhead canopy in my yard. No protection provided. Photos from 4 days after the freeze event.

Minimal to moderate damage. May still be evolving.

South side of house:

IMG_4120Custom.jpg

IMG_4123Large.jpg

East side of house:

IMG_4116Custom.jpg

IMG_4176Custom.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

North side picture is missing in action. The ones on the north are slightly more damaged than the south ones.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 1 year later...

have a few they are wimps for cold/frost. mostly frost burn apparently didn't catch it in time with the hose has minor burn

from a low temp of 37.2 with light frost. others under a canopy did very well hardly a cold spot.

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

About 3 ft of CT and under smal canopy did quite well after the 2nd night at 32f. Did get some frost and has the spots to prove it.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.