IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Acoelorraphe wrightii

Patrick

No damage on a young plant, unprotected at 23 degrees

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Three days of 29 degrees F, big fifteener, no problem.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

They must grow slowly out there.  Even here in their native state, they are slow.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Doing well at 23 degrees fits with Florida experience.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Will be trying one of these in North Florida........will eventually (hopefully decades) know if it can handle temps in the upper teens.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 2 weeks later...

21F about 1 foot tall, several years old and I don't see any damage. I cant wait till mine gets bigger whenever that will happen.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

These will return even from single digits. I saw some in Jax. that recovered from around 14 F.   I think below this the canes die. But when it got this cold there was gale force winds.  In fact there were some 60 footers up against a building in downtown Jax that survived a 14 F night in 81 but 83 killed them ( high winds)

I saw some at the college that largely survived 89 here in Jax ( North Fl) 4 nights 3 in teens ( 16, 17, 19, 22 if memory serves me) there canes werent destroyed.

You can get a 10-12 foot plant in a decade if you use good fertilizer and have it in a wet area so hang in there

Best regardds,

Ed

• 1 month later...

I have one planted out here. It got badly sunburnt which I think has not helped when ther colder weather came. It has seen -4.8oC/23oF. It looks quite yellow now and new spear pulled away. Perhaps if I can get one which is Acclimatised to the sun then it may well stand a better chance in the colder waether.

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

• 2 weeks later...

12 one gallon plants, sprouted from seed 3 yrs ago,  ~3 leaves, 6-8" tall, under 65% shade cloth, no other canopy close by, saw 32F, frost at least one night, no wind exposure, no damage.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

• 1 year later...

25F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with short periods of light frost. No damage

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

My small plant has only endured 27F so far (with no damage), but I did read an old Principes that gave data from a big freeze in Dallas in I think 1958...it stated that (the then-named) Paurotis had died to the ground in single digits and brutal, lengthy cold, but came right back from the roots.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 1 year later...

Seedling growing in pond exposed to sky. Multiple hours below freezing ultimate low around 20. Leaves 100% damaged but looks as if it will recover (hopefully).

-Krishna

Forgot to mention a larger one of these in a protected location came through with no damage whatsoever.

Edited by krishnaraoji88

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 3 months later...

3-gallon sized plant in ground under canopy exhibited 25% defoliation at 16F with a plastic bucket for protection. Also experienced several night-time lows in the upper 20's and low 30's.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 10 months later...

This winter's 26º F (-3º C) freeze, followed by 28 a couple of weeks later left mine unfazed. No leaf damage. It's now got about 2 m tall.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 3 years later...

I have around 10-20 in 3G pots (but 1G size) under oak canopy but they still get a nice layer of frost. Unprotected, they have gone through nights of 20-22 for multiple hours. There is visible damage to some leaves.. maybe 10%. Not nearly as bad as I first expected. I have some unprotected washingtonia robusta seedlings next to them and 99% of the hundreds I have are dead.

Takes a while to see damage on A. wrightii

I'm surprised about your washy's...that sucks

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Takes a while to see damage on A. wrightii

I'm surprised about your washy's...that sucks

Yes, I think they're showing more of the December hard frost damage now but they are still doing better than I expected.

I was surprised myself as I have only seen robustas torched like one other time and I used the same seed source both times located around Orlando. I do not really believe in cold hardy acclimation but when I get my seeds locally, I hardly lose any. I really do not care to have too many robustas but it's nice to have a few dozen per year. I have a few hundred pure Fillys to replace them so all is good.

• 3 years later...

Here are my lows for the Feb. 2018 freeze:

2/21  21.6F

2/22 23.5F

2/23 27.9F

2/24  25.1F

2/25  26.5F

2/26  29.3F

And duration info from a local AG station.

5a9e085d333e8_3-5-20187-15-07PM.thumb.pn

Large one, planted 2009 from a 2G.  Small one planted Nov. 2014 from a citrus pot.  Just starting to split.

DSCN3438.jpg

DSCN2910.jpg

• Upvote 2

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

• 5 years later...
On 1/17/2007 at 4:27 PM, Alicehunter2000 said:

Will be trying one of these in North Florida........will eventually (hopefully decades) know if it can handle temps in the upper teens.

What's the verdict?