IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus martianus

Patrick

23 degrees, some leaf damage on a young plant. Minor browning. No protection.

10 days after original post most of the leaves are turning brown. Damage is showing much more. Plant will probably live

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

In the ground, light overhead protection, about 5 feet of trunk.  Probably exposed to 23/24F and no damage.  When it was younger, it was damaged at 25 F.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I had one freshly planted this october from a five gallon pot in the lawn near a large Rhododendron which shelters it a bit. It received several 32°F nights and two 27° lows and had been covered with frost, no damage at all and still showing active growth in McKinleyville Ca.

I have both "Nepal" and "Khasa Hills" varieties all over my yard.  I originally saw what appeared to be leaf damage...but nothing.

All look great.

24.9 F recorded in protected area of my yard.

1/28-  Upon further inspection- this plant is located in an exposed area- against a North facing fence

post-376-1169672469_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 3 years later...

Tiny seedling receiving some shelter. Multiple hours below freezing with ultimate low around 20 degrees. 90% damaged but looks like it will live.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 2 months later...

Low of ~19F. 12 days straight of below freezing temps. No overhead protection. 1 plant in the ground had no damage. Plant is about 3ft tall. Will have to see how this one looks by mid summer because I'm really surprised that it made it through this winter unscathed.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 7 months later...

Trachycarpus martianus grows wild in much warmer climate zones, lower altitudes, then other Trachycarpi. The T. martianus Khaza Hills from near Cherrapunjee grow in a very warm climate where also Caryota gigas grows wild. They grow near a big waterfall but I have not seen them despite that I have been there. Well the other T. martianus from Nepal.

Alexander

• 3 years later...

Nepal form some minor damage to lower leaf at 26.6F fully exposed. Khasa hills was untouched because of nearby bamboo.

• 1 month later...

Nepal form some minor damage to lower leaf at 26.6F fully exposed. Khasa hills was untouched because of nearby bamboo.

This species turns out to be latisectus, not martianus. This explains the damage.

• 3 months later...

Axel are you saying latisectus is more tender than martianus?

I don't have enough data points to be sure, I just have this one freak trachy that got damaged when my bismarckia just 30 feet away was left untouched. The damage seems consistent with what Glenn is reporting above for the 2007 freeze in Modesto. It's minor, and mine has already grown out of it. And none of my martianus, both Khasia hills and Nepal form were affected. Another latisectus under canopy was also undamaged.

• 2 years later...

2 nights at 26 and wet. 5 feet tall overall. Under live oak canopy. bud protected but exposed leaves completely undamaged. Do not know if Nepal or Khasia hills.