IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 13th Annual Fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- RAIN DATE -●●- October 14th, 15th & 16th

Palmarum

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection® presents...

The 13th Annual Fall Plant Extravaganza!

October 7th, 8th & 9th 2011

╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣

post-24-032643600 1316445441_thumb.jpg post-24-051270600 1316445476_thumb.jpg

As I look outside my window, I see palms and plants that have put on incredible growth this summer. The added rain and heat have made many species just scream out of pots and those in the ground flower for the first time. A great experience indeed. This feeling of botanical envy is shared with many Forum members along with tons of fellow palm fanatics and tropical plant enthusiasts around Florida. It gets us out into the yard even when it is hot, muggy and overrun with mosquitoes. It also gets us in the planting mood for the Fall as the weather turns mild. The Fall Extravaganza has been routinely scheduled for early October for this very reason. It gives the nursery a seasonal event to be open to the public and let everyone and anyone in to see what was grown over the summer; and to give them a chance to grab a favored plant.

The spring and fall Searle Brothers’ Plant Extravaganzas have become a great way for IPS Members, Palmtalk Forum Members and fellow tropical palm & plant enthusiasts to come together and meet in the South Florida area. The events have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical ornamental plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for our friends and family. Forum members, friends and people have all come from far and wide to attend and we are continuously surprised in the distances they will cover to share in the event. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Fall Extravaganza as I can. If you see something that you need to know that is missing and should be added, please post the idea(s) here or contact me or Jeff Searle with the methods listed below and let us know...

post-24-079915100 1316445860_thumb.jpg post-24-088680200 1316445899_thumb.jpg

South Florida Location:

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.

6640 SW 172nd Avenue

Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331

Western Broward County

*see Map below...

Fall 2011 Schedule:

Friday, October 7th* - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Saturday, October 8th* - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Sunday, October 9th* - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

*The second weekend in the month. The first 3-day weekend in October is split with September, so the Extravaganza was moved down a week to keep with tradition. It is usually on the first, full 3-day weekend of the month, in the Spring and Fall.

- Our Famous Weekend Free BBQ Lunch: (Saturday 11:00AM - 2:00PM) – (Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM)

- The Free BBQ lunch has been a feature of the Extravaganza since the first one. Attendees have known to come hungry and get their fill of burgers and hot dogs.

RDG2011-03-05_12-12-32.jpg

Contact List:

Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681

Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750

Nursery Website: www.rainforestcollection.com

Jeff Searle #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com Private Message: PM Jeff Searle

Ryan (Palmarum) Email: rdgpalm@bellsouth.net

Directions:

This is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the county. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well.

scan0004.jpg

╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣

RDG2011-03-03_10-33-55.jpg

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:

For plant availability including a copy of the ever-growing list of palms, cycads and other information regarding which plants and species will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process has already begun and will continue right up to the last day before the Extravaganza, (sometimes even on the mornings of the event if the need applies.) The sale lists for palms, cycads and crotons will be made available as soon as they are completed. Special selections might be pulled for sale as requests, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species, varieties and cultivars that will only become available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly in the morning hours, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Plant groups may have been moved around the sales area, relocated, or added in with others. In order to speed your way to your favorite plants please ask a nearby volunteer as to their location.

Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale. They will be posted in this topic for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email with the names of the plants you would like to see, including members of specific groups or genera. Sale booklets will be made available at the Extravaganza. They will include the sale list of palms, cycads and crotons for sale. Holders located at both entrances to the main shade house will have the booklets on display. As soon as I have a basic list of species and varieties for sale, I will be able to email or PM it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.

post-24-028353800 1316444780_thumb.jpg post-24-069134200 1316444815_thumb.jpg

Featured Plant Groups:

The plant selection at the Extravaganza is constantly growing and changing. The largest and most diverse group is by far the Palms, of which there will be over 300 species available. The Fall also is the peak time for crotons as the summer months are the ideal time for production. The croton cultivars for sale currently number more than 160.

Palms:

Aroids:

Bamboo:

Bromeliads:

Cycads:

Crotons:

Cordylines:

Ferns:

Heliconias and Gingers:

Orchids:

Tropical Flowering Trees and Shrubs:

Landscape Ornamentals:

Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:

and more: There is always a chance a new & exotic species of tropical plant will make its way into the sales area.

post-24-022871200 1316444282_thumb.jpg post-24-085026800 1316444734_thumb.jpg

post-24-093034800 1316443909_thumb.jpg post-24-094318700 1316444337_thumb.jpg

post-24-071387100 1316445952_thumb.jpg post-24-096470800 1316446660_thumb.jpg

The Sale Flyer:

The nursery will soon mail out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to me with your address.

Plant Carts:

We do provide a limited amount of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. The carts do go quickly in the morning of each day, soon after the gates open and customers make their way to the sales area. During the day when they are returned from the holding area or the parking lot, they are placed back on the concrete pad across from the register area.

post-24-054256400 1316443823_thumb.jpg post-24-041418500 1316443858_thumb.jpg

Accommodations:

There is a very nice Hampton Inn within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers, volunteers and family members in the past who travel a long way to reach the Extravaganza and who require a comfortable place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. (see map above...) If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Link: Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines

╔══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦══╗

╠══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬══╣

╚══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩══╝

Previous Extravaganza:

This past Spring Extravaganza in March was a celebration of warmth as we had once again survived a long winter. It was a great time with friends and family and many came out to get a plant or two (or more). Follow the link below to relive the excitement. I looked over the photos once again and I am always thinking of new ways to showcase the Extravaganza, usually from a ladder or some other location. I might have to use aircraft this Fall, or put cameras in plants...

Link: The 13th Annual Spring Extravaganza

- One such aerial shot of the main road by the landscape plant section. I remember almost falling off the ladder.

RDG2011-03-04_11-46-50.jpg

Information and Invitation:

If you need any more details regarding plants, directions, or anything that I have not included above, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. Feel free to post any messages, questions, etc. in this topic. Jeff Searle, I and all the family members and volunteers look forward to meeting everyone including new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at the upcoming Extravaganza. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other Forum members at the event as well, possibly walking right past you down an aisle or grabbing for the same plant. The entire Searle family and the masses of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant.

We hope to see you there!

:)

post-24-055423900 1316442352_thumb.jpg post-24-044663800 1316442682_thumb.jpg

Jeff Searle restocking palms during the day and Jim Glock discusses all things tropical with sale goers.

post-24-078273800 1316446168_thumb.jpg post-24-041526600 1316446202_thumb.jpg

After the sale ends on each day, there is usually a 'Post Tour' at Jeff's house to look over his collection.

A few attendees and volunteers are often invited over for a drink and some extended plant related activity.

╠═══════════════════════════════════════════════╣

Ryan

South Florida

Now that's a promo :)

A year already? way too fast...slow down world...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

i think you just wrote yerself a good little song there,wal. :winkie:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Ryan,

When might a list of plants for sale be available?. I have several friends from work, that I turned on to the sale, asking about it.

Hot and humid Loxahatchee Florida. 16 miles inland from

West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County

Hey Mark,

The first draft of the Palm and Cycad list is being processed now as I just got the checklist not long ago. It will represent about 90% of the species planned to be pulled for the sale. As soon as I get it processed I will make a notification.

The first draft of the croton list is done and was posted on Palmpedia: The list is on the second post down.

Link: 'Ganza topic on the Croton Forum

Ryan

Ryan,

When might a list of plants for sale be available?. I have several friends from work, that I turned on to the sale, asking about it.

South Florida

I have completed the first draft of the Palm & Cycad list and have it available for anyone who wants a copy. I have also posted it on the Extravaganza topic under the Croton Forum on Palmpedia, for those who just need a quick look:

Palmpedia - Extravaganza Topic

I can message it or email it to anyone who needs a copy and will start sending it out to those who have already asked for one. Enjoy responsibly. :winkie:

Ryan

South Florida

Have a great time everybody as I did the sale I attended. Spend lots of $$$ on gorgeous plants and THEN start saving for the Biennial. Wish I could see (and buy) the three J. magnificas! It's a good thing for my bank account that you don't ship. Hope someone on the forum gets them and can post photos. I'll enjoy the photos pre and post sale as always!

Cindy Adair

- A brief run through the clearer part of the day on Wednesday gave some time for photos. It was still overcast which cut back on the amount of light I was able to work with. Jeff stands in his Croton Patch as they were getting ready to be moved.

DSC_0145.jpg

- Red Sealing Wax Palms, Cyrtostachys renda, was one of the earlier requests. This is a 20 gallon plant for $850.00, and the largest of the species group. There will also be 10 gal. for $450.00, 7 gal. for $175.00, and 3 gal. for $65.00. They are waiting their turn to be moved into the main shadehouse.

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

- A quick shot of the beginning of the shadehouse sidewalk. Plants were being unloaded with still more to come. The sidewalk is getting full as usual. I will get more photos taken in the coming days as the weather starts getting better.

DSC_0140.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- [echo... echo...] Jeff cleared out this part of the main shadehouse in preparation for becoming the Croton area for the Extravaganza. Seems to get bigger every fall. As of this time on Thursday, this area is getting filled with plants.

DSC_0141.jpg

- Not a plant for sale, but an interesting note. This is a Kentiopsis pyriformis that was planted as a small 3 gallon, about a year and a half ago by a visiting and over zealous Bill Sanford.

DSC_0161.jpg

- It has grown well in the full sun/partial sun location and had put on some weight. Hopefully this will give BS Man some much needed inspiration for his yard.

DSC_0162.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Wow! Cool Ryan! Wish I was coming... I WILL return again!! :)

Is that the happiest of the ones I planted? Any others doing OK? :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

BS Man about Palms

Wow! Cool Ryan! Wish I was coming... I WILL return again!! :)

Is that the happiest of the ones I planted? Any others doing OK?...

Bill, everything else is growing I believe as we were not sure exactly what you planted vs. what Jeff had started planted soon afterwards. I had noticed that Kentiopis sitting there as we were walking by so I took a few shots. I will look around to see what else might be standing out from your plantings.

- Recently FPL (Florida Power & Light) known affectionately by a few other names by Floridians, had ordered the nursery to either cut down or remove certain groups of tall palms from the field. They are growing too tall and getting within the 'limit of concern' for proximity to the lower most power lines that run across the nursery. The lines are high up but at times may sag low during temperature differences. Anyway, certain palm groups have been moved already but one group consisted of these very tall Kentiopsis oliviformis. It was decided since they had to be moved anyway, that they would be offered for sale at a special price, only $300.00, plus delivery and installation.

- These are the first three to be dug and moved. They were placed by the soil pad up front by where the registers and carts would be. They vary in height and there are more in the field waiting to be dug.

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

I got a few photo requests done on Saturday as the weather was perfect. I still have a few more to get so keep sending them in if you want to see something.

- Cyphosperma balansae - 10 gallon {$1,500.00}

DSC_0169.jpg

- Cyphosperma balansae - 1 gallon {$45.00}

DSC_0170.jpg

- A closer view of the larger one.

DSC_0171.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Dypsis arenarum - 25 gallon {$250.00}

DSC_0172.jpg

- It really is a decorative species of Dypsis as it is fast growing with those bright crownshafts.

DSC_0173.jpg

- Dypsis arenarum - 3 gallon {$25.00}

DSC_0174.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Dypsis mananjarensis - 3 gallon A (left) - {$300.00} - 3 gallon B (right) - {$450.00}

DSC_0175.jpg

- A closer view of the larger one on the right.

DSC_0177.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A few roaming views of the palms along the shadehouse sidewalk. This is from the sidewalk intersection looking 'down' or to the east.

DSC_0178.jpg

- An almost opposite view from above, standing in the intersection looking 'up' towards the entrance to the west. There is now about 335 species across about 470 groups, so the sidewalk is fairly crowded with palms; with even more plants to be added during the week ahead.

DSC_0179.jpg

- Walking towards the entrance about a third of the way from the intersection.

DSC_0180.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Verschaffeltia splendida - 10 gallon {$175.00} - 7 gal. {$100.00} - 1 gal. {$35.00}

DSC_0181.jpg

- A vertical shot showing more of the 1 gallon plants which are quite large for the pot. Always amazes me how fast this species can grow.

DSC_0182.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Licuala ramsayi - 10 gallon {$200.00} - 3 gal. {$45.00}

DSC_0183.jpg

- The smaller 3 gallon plants are almost hidden from view.

DSC_0184.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Dypsis prestoniana - 7 gallon A (center) {$450.00} - 7 gal. B {150.00} - 3 gal. {$45.00}

DSC_0185.jpg

- Moved out the larger one to take its portrait.

DSC_0186.jpg

- It has a nice base and thick petioles.

DSC_0187.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Dypsis hovomantsina - 10 gallon {$250.00} - 7 gal. {$150.00}

DSC_0188.jpg

- Flipped the 10 gallon plant around 180º...

DSC_0189.jpg

- A close-up shot of the boot and the pulled-down keel.

DSC_0190.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. 'Houailou' - 3 gallon {$65.00}

DSC_0191.jpg

- When the leaves are still undivided and the leaf bases and petioles are thick, this variety makes a perfect looking 3 gallon palm.

DSC_0192.jpg

- A low angle view of the group.

DSC_0193.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The tables holding the gallons and smaller groups of palms and cycads are getting full. The plants are getting organized and placed where they need to go, on the ground as part of a larger group if need be.

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Chamaedorea geonomiformis - 1 gallon {$20.00}

DSC_0198.jpg

- A slighter closer view. This species was also known previously as Chamaedorea tenella.

DSC_0199.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Many of the plant sections outside are finished or are in the process of getting placed. The full sun palms are getting pulled and placed along with some of the landscape plants over to the right.

DSC_0202.jpg

- The next generation of Foxtail Palms, Wodyetia bifurcata. They have a little more time to go before they are able to be sold.

DSC_0201.jpg

- Looking up the main road towards the nursery entrance from the side of the shadehouse. The area has already been filled with landscape ornamentals.

DSC_0203.jpg

- I found a ladder nearby and decided to take some aerial shots. This is from the east end of the shadehouse sidewalk just before getting on the ladder.

DSC_0204.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Have ladder will photograph. A view of the shadehouse sidewalk from the far east end looking west while about 10 feet in the air.

DSC_0206.jpg

- Looking back east from about halfway...

DSC_0207.jpg

- All the way to the entrance and elevated.

DSC_0208.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Looking to the left after taking the sidewalk shot above to find all the Crotons laying out in their section. 170 different cultivars at recent count.

DSC_0209.jpg

- At the end of the day on Saturday, I noticed this different looking butterfly hanging out in the landscape plant section. I have been working on getting more butterfly plant information involved with the sale plant selection but it has been slow going so far. I do not know butterflies that well but I think this is a White Peacock, Anartia jatrophae. I had to take this photo 10 times cause every time the shutter clicked the butterfly twitched and closed its wings faster than the shutter speed.

DSC_0218.jpg

- Guess who. Kane is waiting at Jeff's house for the post tour so he can greet everyone that might come over.

DSC_0219.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Yep. Wish I was going to be there... :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

We need to have a life-sized, cardboard cutout of Bill to have at the sales. Just when the real one isn't around. I wonder where one could get one of those made...

Ryan

South Florida

What a feast for the eyes if i lived in South Florida i would be there with bells on :drool:

That Cyphosperma balansae is unbelievable ! :drool:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Everything is looking good. I hope that the sale is very successful!

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Ryan, I have the reverse shot of the dog if you need it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

MattyB

Ryan, I have the reverse shot of the dog if you need it.

I have a few of that angle as well, usually with him chasing someone or something into the bushes while spreading his aroma around.

- Another request from the messages, Brahea decumbens #3 - {$35.00}

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Trava

This red palm, what is it?...

Jeff Searle

...Hi Trava,

These are the Areca vestiaria Maroon Leaf. Pretty huh?

- A few additional views of the Areca vestiaria var. 'Maroon Leaf' group that was mentioned above. The 1 gallon plants are $20.00 each and a price of $50.00 is on the 3 gal. plants.

DSC_0248.jpg

- A tighter shot of one slice in the group, showing a lot of maroon color.

DSC_0251.jpg

- The newly emerging leaves are amazing when there are several appearing at once.

DSC_0249.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Good luck with the sale, but with the economy the way it is I don't see many folks willing to fork out a couple hundred dollars for rare dypsis or any rare plant period. I purchased a nice 7gal Dypsis prestoniana on ebay from a guy in Homestead Fl for $39 bucks. I hope times will get better for the nursery man. Mail order IMO seems to be move plants better these days. I've personally have spent $4000 this month on mail order palms because it's convenient. I wish more nurseries did mail order.

Again I wish you well,

Sarah