IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Epsom Salts

_Keith

I was on another board, concerning another plant group (not palms), when this comment was made.

"it's the main reason why the folks in FL and elsewhere spray Epsom Salts on the Palm trees so they green up and don't look so tatty when the tourists arrive.wink.gif"

Is there any validity to this?

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

ive used it for greening up ravenea rivularis. works really good on them.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

As a foliar feed, drench, or both?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Actually, epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, not manganese sulfate. Magnesium deficiency does lead to yellowing of palm leaves, so application of epsom salts can help to green up palms (new leaves only, old leaves are beyond help).

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Keith, I have not heard this, and I can't imagine that it would work. Epsom salt is manganese sulfate. It is used to treat manganese deficiency, which manifests as frizzletop in palms -- which, as you probably know, causes browning, frizzly, "crispy" leaflets and leaves. Treating with manganese (a.k.a. Epsom salt) corrects this deficiency fairly quickly and returns the palm's normal coloration to the leaf (which in most cases is green), but that's about as far as it goes. I could be wrong, but it seems like iron or nitrogen would "green up" a palm much more effectively than manganese.

Jody

Epsom salt = magnesium (not manganese) sulfate

Magnesium is the central ion of the chlorophyll ring and a magnesium deficiency results in chlorosis (yellowing of leaves). Some palms, most notably R. rivularis, are sensitive to magnesium levels and frequently require supplementation, especially in marginal soils.

While epsom salt may provide adequate magnesium, a commercial K-Mg product is more commonly used topically in agricultural applications as the Mg may compete with existing K in the soil resulting in a K deficiency in the plant.

gmp

As a foliar feed, drench, or both?

i throw it down just like a normal granular fertilizer. as mike said, only the emerging leaves will be greener.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I do believe I've read that if you throw down only magnesium, you may wind up eventually with a potassium deficiency. I think you need to do both at the same time. I usually buy a big bag of Sul-Po-Mag from my local nursery and use that.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I do believe I've read that if you throw down only magnesium, you may wind up eventually with a potassium deficiency. I think you need to do both at the same time. I usually buy a big bag of Sul-Po-Mag from my local nursery and use that.

i use it with a 15-5-15 fert on ravenea rivularis only, they always seem to want tons of magnesium. having said all that i also figured out that mine is to close to some overhead sprinklers and now looks like hell. im pretty sure im going to loose this one to rot...oh well i wanted to put a R.glauca there anyway.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

If you're gonna loose a R. rivularis to rot I doubt that R. glauce will do good in that location. R. glauca can rot out if not given some dry time or really good drainage.

BTW, my foot was green and Epsom Salts made the green color go away. :unsure:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

what would you use on a dypsis leptocheilos? Mine looks sick (light green) but it continues to push up multiple shoots.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

If you're gonna loose a R. rivularis to rot I doubt that R. glauce will do good in that location. R. glauca can rot out if not given some dry time or really good drainage.

BTW, my foot was green and Epsom Salts made the green color go away. :unsure:

your foot must have the same fungus as my rivularis, im glad you got it fixed up. i changed that sprinkler head to a 1/4 round so now it doesnt get hit. im sure im going to loose it anyway. spear opened early with a lot of brown. it looks really bad...too bad for a 12$ plant.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Epsom salts will only green up a plant if its deficient in Magnesium (or sulfur...which is highly unlikely). If you have iron deficiency, for example, Mg won't have any affect. As others have mentioned, K-Mag, Sul-Po-Mag or whatever the local company calls it when they sell Potassium-Magnesium Sulfate is a better choice for application to the soil where Mg and K can be antogonist to one another. Foliar applied Epsom Salts won't hurt anything but its hard to know how much, if any, actually enters the plant tissue. (Tissue tests will be inaccurate because you applied the Mg to the foliage and it'll be detected in the test but you can't tell if its just stuck to the outside of the leaf or if its moved into the tissue). Its generally accepted that the older foliage that has deficiency symptoms cannot be influenced by applications to the root zone or the foliage. The reason for that is because once the yellow is visible in the old foliage the plant is "harvesting" the Mg from the chlorophyll and that can't be rebuilt. Its very common here in FL to find Phoenix palms deficient in both K and Mg. It makes for an ugly close-up.

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Magnesium deficiency shows up in oider growth first not newer growth. Applied magnesium will show effects from the newest effected deficient leaf back to the oldest leaf. If you have yellowing new growth consider iron deficiency or just straight nitrogen deficiency.

Best regards

Tyrone

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

what would you use on a dypsis leptocheilos? Mine looks sick (light green) but it continues to push up multiple shoots.

I have the same problem with one of mine. it grows as well as my others, but is clearly yellower. My issue is iron lockup due to the high PH of an area of my garden. I tried some ones suggestion of "peat pockets". In a 5 gallon bucket I mixed ironite & peat moss, then with a shovel, made deep divots around the dripline & stuffed them with the mixture & watered it in. The idea being the peat would lower the PH enough for the tree to take up some of the iron. Well I had a leaf open about 6 weeks after the first application & it was clearly greener than the previous one. I just did another dose of "peat pockets" & another leaf should be opening any day now. (hopefully greener :rolleyes: )

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I have the same problem with one of mine. it grows as well as my others, but is clearly yellower. My issue is iron lockup due to the high PH of an area of my garden. I tried some ones suggestion of "peat pockets". In a 5 gallon bucket I mixed ironite & peat moss, then with a shovel, made deep divots around the dripline & stuffed them with the mixture & watered it in. The idea being the peat would lower the PH enough for the tree to take up some of the iron. Well I had a leaf open about 6 weeks after the first application & it was clearly greener than the previous one. I just did another dose of "peat pockets" & another leaf should be opening any day now. (hopefully greener :rolleyes: )

Thanks Randy, I'll give it a try.

-Randy

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

OK, I have a R. rivularis and it's green and 2m (6ft+) tall. How much magnesium sulfate should I use and how often to keep it that way? I also use a balanced NPK fertiliser and trace elements.

Cheers,

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

Just use the NPK fertiliser with trace elements and you'll probably be fine Adam. If the oldest leaves start going yellow but leaving the veins green you have a magnesium deficiency and then I'd apply some magnesium. But to be honest a handful of magnesium sulfate every couple of months watered in well isn't going to hurt anything.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Randy, if your soil's PH is that much higher, and you want to lower the PH, the easiest thing to do is to get sulfur pellets and sprinkle them on the ground (or work them into the soil some) and while it tales up to maybe a month to change the PH, it will last around 6 months or more. It will also bring the PH down more effectively than peat. Its always a good idea to have an idea of what the PH is first though, so you have a good idea of how much to apply. If you want to bring the PH down in days, then use sulfuric acid (battery acid -35%) mixed with water and drench the soil. You don't need much of the acid mixed with 5 gallons of water-like a teaspoon.

Randy, if your soil's PH is that much higher, and you want to lower the PH, the easiest thing to do is to get sulfur pellets and sprinkle them on the ground (or work them into the soil some) and while it tales up to maybe a month to change the PH, it will last around 6 months or more. It will also bring the PH down more effectively than peat. Its always a good idea to have an idea of what the PH is first though, so you have a good idea of how much to apply. If you want to bring the PH down in days, then use sulfuric acid (battery acid -35%) mixed with water and drench the soil. You don't need much of the acid mixed with 5 gallons of water-like a teaspoon.

Thanks Terry, You seem to be an expert on this stuff. :D I have some soil samples out being tested now. The problem area is around the lake. The "lakes" are man made & the marl dug up was pushed up around the lake. I suspect the PH is pretty high as I find shells & coral rock mixed in an ultra fine whiiteish sand below about 6 inches of top soil. It doesn't drain too well either. If there is a PH issue when I get the results back, I'll try the sulfur pellets.

-Randy

post-1035-029114300 1316567270_thumb.jpg

post-1035-011782900 1316567323_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Just use the NPK fertiliser with trace elements and you'll probably be fine Adam. If the oldest leaves start going yellow but leaving the veins green you have a magnesium deficiency and then I'd apply some magnesium. But to be honest a handful of magnesium sulfate every couple of months watered in well isn't going to hurt anything.

Best regards

Tyrone

Thanks Tyrone.

That makes sense.

Cheers,

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

• 8 years later...

Great read! I just picked up a small bag of epsom salt after reading this post. I plan on supplementing with Nutricote since it seems that the nutricote on its own isn't enough (I heard it should though. Maybe I'm not applying enough) Or would a K-Mag fertilizer be better than Nurticote?

Sorry, forgot to add that these palms are in pots for the time being.