IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa

doubravsky

24 - near the house, some canopy... looking pretty damaged

post-33-1168908816_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Fallbrook  22 degrees two nights

Located on probaly the warmest part of property

Probably dead

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

One is perfect one not so but my houailou did better than expected with some minor tip burn.

I forgot to write that they all saw a low of 27 on sat nite.

San Marcos CA

All 4 with about 4 feet of trunk unscathed at 29 low Sunday morning. No frost.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I have seven from one foot tall to 5 feet tall in the ground and had a minimum temp. of 26.5F and several upper 20s nights. Very minor damage to one old leaf on one and a shriveled red leaf on another.

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I have several chamey's including watermelon form, standard and hookerii's and no damage at all so far here.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Hmm.

Starting to wonder, but so far no damage.

24.8 official evil low . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Have watermelon type, hookeri and Houliou. Only the 15 gal Hauliou had shade cloth, hit 30F, no damage visible.  Others 5 to 15 gal unprotected, hit 26-28F minor burn on hookeri.

Worse leaf burn when they come from greenhouse grown to any sun!!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Chamb hookeri saw 29 and all the leaves suffered major damage which I suspect is also in part due to the the strong and dry santa anas which had already taken its toll on them. It is the same plant that I have as my avatar.  No damage to trunk and new spear however and am pretty sure that it will be ok.  Just checked plant  6 days from freeze and damage to leaves are 80 to 90% with not much change after 2nd day.  Rest of palm, the trunk and spear all still seem fine.  I just marked the base of the latest spear 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ago and there apears to be slight growth, aproximately 1/2 inch.  not sure how much that is since freeze but I do believe that it has grown ever so slightly.  In my estimation it looks like it should pull through with out two much trouble.  Will mark base of spear again to be sure of any new growth.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

One 3', second winter in ground.  No direct cover, in close proximity to other plants.  Lowest low 31, dry.  No damage.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Chambeyronia macrocarpa, 5 gallon size, in ground, planted under 8 feet tall A. maxima.

24.1F, no frost.

No apparent damage after first few days, but after 5 days now there is about 75% burn on the leaves.

Now 11 days later I have 100% leaf burn, shrivelage or dessication, whatever you call it, it don't look good.  The 6 inch tall spear looks good still.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Large 1g watermelon planted out last summer, protected by overhead canopy,  27F +- 1F low, and no damage.

1g macrocarpas and hookeris, 27F +- 1F low, only protection was their shade cover, little to no damage.

David Vogelsang

OC, California

Zone 10a

28 Degrees/No frost

Not sure why, but both of my 'watermelons' were hit hard. Maybe it is because they were planted from 5 gallon this summer and never really got established. Plus no canopy!

CMacroFreeze6.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Actually, to flesh out a bit:

About 60 plants in pots, under trees, temperature nearby got to 24.8 F, but no damage after three nights of this.

About 18 plants in the ground as well.  None have suffered any damage so far, even those out in the open.  They were in 28.4 F cold, in the upper part of my yard.

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(LJG @ Jan. 16 2007,16:33)

28 Degrees/No frost

Not sure why, but both of my 'watermelons' were hit hard. Maybe it is because they were planted from 5 gallon this summer and never really got established. Plus no canopy!

CMacroFreeze6.jpg

In my coldest, 26F area, one half of a frond not covered by a sheet looked just like that.   (plus almost every one I've seen sunburns when planted out from a greenhouse)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The two I bought were great looking plants before the freeze. No burn even in summer. They were already sun hardened. That is also a bummer cause like you said, most are not ready for direct sun. Hope these pull through.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed yesterday that my Hookeri is definately showing some leaf damage... :(   Spear still looks green at this time, most leaves have a medium brown tinge

Bump!  Notice the latent damage on these guys.  I wonder if the thick leaves have something to do with this.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

All 4 of my chambeyronias now showing the most damage out of all my palms (most even more tropical in nature). All sun damaged fronds are dead. This ranges from 2 full fronds on one to 1/2 a frond on another. Temp data 29F 2 nights-no frost.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

All of the specimens under trees, unscathed after four nights of 28-29 F, no frost.

Out in the open, a different story.

This one was out in the open for two nights, in an area exposed to three nights of 24.8 F (-4.4 C) and a fourth consecutive night at 27.8 F.  No white frost.

post-208-1170012877_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Never get tired of the red leaves !

post-208-1170012921_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mine alos are starting to show a lot more damage than originally thought. Both macrocarpa's spears are good but the rest of the palm looks ugly.Houailou is a goner :(

San Marcos CA

• 1 month later...

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 16 2007,00:44)

Hmm.

Starting to wonder, but so far no damage.

24.8 official evil low . . .

dave

The Hookeri I picked up from you Dave completly fried. The new spear is coming out fine I will have to wait. It spent the first half of the '07' SO-CAL cold spell at Daves and the rest at my place close by.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

• 1 month later...

(epicure3 @ Jan. 27 2007,18:53)

All 4 of my chambeyronias now showing the most damage out of all my palms (most even more tropical in nature). All sun damaged fronds are dead. This ranges from 2 full fronds on one to 1/2 a frond on another. Temp data 29F 2 nights-no frost.

Update...............

These were the most damaged palms in my garden. This is surprising considering I also have pritchardia, ptychosperma, roystonea and more tropical dypsis. 2 of the chameyronias have put forth a new frond and a thrird is about to open one. They won't look that great for a while but the recovery has begun.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the hookeri had pushed a teeny bit, tried to open the leaves, got partway, then slowly started looking worse... looked yesterday afternoon and found a lot of the pink rot under the old leaf bases, into the trash it went.  Had to pull hard to pull the spear.  :(

• 1 month later...

These have been interesting for me. Of the three... all suffered strong leaf damage. The most protected one opened up a new spear in May and has been fine.

The other two had spears, so I marked them in early March. By late May, neither had shown any growth at all, so I figured when I got around to it, I'd trash em.

I got around to it about a week ago.. but when I went to dig them up,  the spears had grown about 2 inches after nothing through all of March, April, and May!

So I marked them again. In the last week the spears have grown a couple more inches. I'm now thinking they may be ok.

Oh... they were from 5 gals 2 yrs ago. Temps about 24.. no frost. Some Archonto protection, and close to the house.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Several plants, most in ground, with moderate damage to leaflets at 29 degrees.  One exception, houailou, under more canopy, was completely undamaged.

Alan Brickey

• 7 years later...

With the delayed damage on this one what is its true hardiness? During the freeze of 2007 it looks like eventually it wimped out.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...