24 - near the house, some canopy... looking pretty damaged

post-33-1168908816_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Cycadcenter

Fallbrook  22 degrees two nights

Located on probaly the warmest part of property

Probably dead

Shon

One is perfect one not so but my houailou did better than expected with some minor tip burn.

I forgot to write that they all saw a low of 27 on sat nite.

epicure3

All 4 with about 4 feet of trunk unscathed at 29 low Sunday morning. No frost.

Jim in Los Altos

I have seven from one foot tall to 5 feet tall in the ground and had a minimum temp. of 26.5F and several upper 20s nights. Very minor damage to one old leaf on one and a shriveled red leaf on another.

deezpalms

I have several chamey's including watermelon form, standard and hookerii's and no damage at all so far here.

DoomsDave

Hmm.

Starting to wonder, but so far no damage.

24.8 official evil low . . .

dave

BS Man about Palms

Have watermelon type, hookeri and Houliou. Only the 15 gal Hauliou had shade cloth, hit 30F, no damage visible.  Others 5 to 15 gal unprotected, hit 26-28F minor burn on hookeri.

Worse leaf burn when they come from greenhouse grown to any sun!!

• Upvote 1

Don Little

Chamb hookeri saw 29 and all the leaves suffered major damage which I suspect is also in part due to the the strong and dry santa anas which had already taken its toll on them. It is the same plant that I have as my avatar.  No damage to trunk and new spear however and am pretty sure that it will be ok.  Just checked plant  6 days from freeze and damage to leaves are 80 to 90% with not much change after 2nd day.  Rest of palm, the trunk and spear all still seem fine.  I just marked the base of the latest spear 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ago and there apears to be slight growth, aproximately 1/2 inch.  not sure how much that is since freeze but I do believe that it has grown ever so slightly.  In my estimation it looks like it should pull through with out two much trouble.  Will mark base of spear again to be sure of any new growth.

Kim

One 3', second winter in ground.  No direct cover, in close proximity to other plants.  Lowest low 31, dry.  No damage.

MattyB

Chambeyronia macrocarpa, 5 gallon size, in ground, planted under 8 feet tall A. maxima.

24.1F, no frost.

No apparent damage after first few days, but after 5 days now there is about 75% burn on the leaves.

Now 11 days later I have 100% leaf burn, shrivelage or dessication, whatever you call it, it don't look good.  The 6 inch tall spear looks good still.

BigWaveDave

Large 1g watermelon planted out last summer, protected by overhead canopy,  27F +- 1F low, and no damage.

1g macrocarpas and hookeris, 27F +- 1F low, only protection was their shade cover, little to no damage.

Kathy

macrocarpa, 24F low, some burn, hopefully will pull through.

LJG

28 Degrees/No frost

Not sure why, but both of my 'watermelons' were hit hard. Maybe it is because they were planted from 5 gallon this summer and never really got established. Plus no canopy!

CMacroFreeze6.jpg

DoomsDave

Actually, to flesh out a bit:

About 60 plants in pots, under trees, temperature nearby got to 24.8 F, but no damage after three nights of this.

About 18 plants in the ground as well.  None have suffered any damage so far, even those out in the open.  They were in 28.4 F cold, in the upper part of my yard.

dave

Geoff

defoliated at 27F 4' tall- no trunk yet

BS Man about Palms

(LJG @ Jan. 16 2007,16:33)

28 Degrees/No frost

Not sure why, but both of my 'watermelons' were hit hard. Maybe it is because they were planted from 5 gallon this summer and never really got established. Plus no canopy!

CMacroFreeze6.jpg

In my coldest, 26F area, one half of a frond not covered by a sheet looked just like that.   (plus almost every one I've seen sunburns when planted out from a greenhouse)

LJG

The two I bought were great looking plants before the freeze. No burn even in summer. They were already sun hardened. That is also a bummer cause like you said, most are not ready for direct sun. Hope these pull through.

BS Man about Palms

Noticed yesterday that my Hookeri is definately showing some leaf damage... :(   Spear still looks green at this time, most leaves have a medium brown tinge

MattyB

Bump!  Notice the latent damage on these guys.  I wonder if the thick leaves have something to do with this.

epicure3

All 4 of my chambeyronias now showing the most damage out of all my palms (most even more tropical in nature). All sun damaged fronds are dead. This ranges from 2 full fronds on one to 1/2 a frond on another. Temp data 29F 2 nights-no frost.

DoomsDave

All of the specimens under trees, unscathed after four nights of 28-29 F, no frost.

Out in the open, a different story.

This one was out in the open for two nights, in an area exposed to three nights of 24.8 F (-4.4 C) and a fourth consecutive night at 27.8 F.  No white frost.

post-208-1170012877_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

Never get tired of the red leaves !

post-208-1170012921_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Shon

Mine alos are starting to show a lot more damage than originally thought. Both macrocarpa's spears are good but the rest of the palm looks ugly.Houailou is a goner :(

The Germinator

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 16 2007,00:44)

Hmm.

Starting to wonder, but so far no damage.

24.8 official evil low . . .

dave

The Hookeri I picked up from you Dave completly fried. The new spear is coming out fine I will have to wait. It spent the first half of the '07' SO-CAL cold spell at Daves and the rest at my place close by.

epicure3

(epicure3 @ Jan. 27 2007,18:53)

All 4 of my chambeyronias now showing the most damage out of all my palms (most even more tropical in nature). All sun damaged fronds are dead. This ranges from 2 full fronds on one to 1/2 a frond on another. Temp data 29F 2 nights-no frost.

Update...............

These were the most damaged palms in my garden. This is surprising considering I also have pritchardia, ptychosperma, roystonea and more tropical dypsis. 2 of the chameyronias have put forth a new frond and a thrird is about to open one. They won't look that great for a while but the recovery has begun.

BS Man about Palms

Well, the hookeri had pushed a teeny bit, tried to open the leaves, got partway, then slowly started looking worse... looked yesterday afternoon and found a lot of the pink rot under the old leaf bases, into the trash it went.  Had to pull hard to pull the spear.  :(

doubravsky

These have been interesting for me. Of the three... all suffered strong leaf damage. The most protected one opened up a new spear in May and has been fine.

The other two had spears, so I marked them in early March. By late May, neither had shown any growth at all, so I figured when I got around to it, I'd trash em.

I got around to it about a week ago.. but when I went to dig them up,  the spears had grown about 2 inches after nothing through all of March, April, and May!

So I marked them again. In the last week the spears have grown a couple more inches. I'm now thinking they may be ok.

Oh... they were from 5 gals 2 yrs ago. Temps about 24.. no frost. Some Archonto protection, and close to the house.

avb

Several plants, most in ground, with moderate damage to leaflets at 29 degrees.  One exception, houailou, under more canopy, was completely undamaged.

enigma99

With the delayed damage on this one what is its true hardiness? During the freeze of 2007 it looks like eventually it wimped out.

gyuseppe

died to - 5.7 degrees celsius

Zeeth

3.5 hours below freezing, absolute low of 28.7˚ F. 

IMG_0649.thumb.jpg.149119d994e98c00af8ae

• Like 3