IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caryota urens

doubravsky

Coldest part of the yard, probably below 24.. theyellowing was pre-existing thanks to Santa ana winds..

no visible damage on one..

post-33-1168908670_thumb.jpg

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

leaf damage on a smaller one three feet away

post-33-1168908698_thumb.jpg

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Two nights about 29 FF.

Three specimens, about 10 feet tall.  (One whacked by my Mad Slasher roomie)

No damage.

Sigh.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

C urens saw 29 and no visible damage, just some damge to some leaves due to sant anas that we've been having.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Three specimens, ten feet tall six inches+ across the bases, four days of 28-29 F, for many hours each night, still no damage!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 week after freeze some slight burn on some leaves are visible, I also suspect some of this is due in part to the extremely dry winds we have had lately as well.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Unprotected in Dec. freeze....some thin overhead protection from tall oaks and lower than 25 F. Large Parajubaea cocoides near by damaged pretty badly.  Protected with a sheet and a 100 W light bulb for Jan freezes.  Looks good, no damage or spots.  About head high.  I'm surprised.

Dick

Richard Douglas

A week later, three specimens had endured four nights of 28-29 F, -1 C, no (further damage).

Hooray!

dave

Update:

Two weeks after four nights of 28-29 F, still looking good.

post-208-1170012635_thumb.jpg

To tall to cover...exposed.  It has no/little damage on the leaves close to the house...burned on the leaf hanging away from it.

post-376-1170046370_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 2 weeks later...

...Here comes rain!   :(  :D

I had to strip the plant shown above due to rapidly advancing fungus' shown below (sorry the pic is so small.)

The spear looks ok, we'll see if its going to make it when it warms up...

post-376-1171221325_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

In ground, ~10' tall overall.  Burned to a crisp (probably dead). Located in Sanger, CA.  Owner reports lows several days in the 18-22F range.  No overhead protection.  Caryota maxima "Himalaya" about 50' away, three weeks after the big freeze is surviving well.    Hundreds of C. revoluta a bit lower on the property have completely burned foliage.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

• 4 weeks later...

Minimal damage with no cover, Double planted out last year. Completely exposed to recent cold snap.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

• 6 months later...

Exposed to nightly lows of 25-30F for 5 nights consecutively. Recovering nicely.

Photo 1 - January 07, Photo 2 - September 07

post-662-1190946225_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)