tropicalb

Phoenix reclinata

tropicalb

22F...located next to unheated coldframe, near the bottom of a cold drain....no noticable damage:

canary.jpg

MattyB

Ditto, 24.1F, no damage.

DoomsDave

24.8 FF, no damage that I can tell.  I was hoping, they're getting rowdy!

dave

rsproule

Reclinata/Rupicola multi-trunk hybrid planted 2 1/2 years ago. Largest trunk has 1.5’ of clear trunk. Low of 22F with no frost and no overhead protection. Put single light 100W bulb underneath. No damage or any sign of stress.

Sacramento Area, zone 9B

Geoff

27F for 5 hours at least.. no damage at all

DoomsDave

Two weeks after a big freeze.  Nearby areas exposed to three nights of 24.8, and a consecutive night down to 27. F, no frost.

I think it got a LOT colder on this one.  It's at the very back of the back of my backyard.

Maybe 20 F?

post-208-1170027144_thumb.jpg

freakypalmguy

Some 25F some 27F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with a short period of light frost. No damage

mnorell

Small specimen, roughly 2' tall, in a somewhat protected area with surrounding foliage. Last winter 15 hours below freezing, low 23.3F. No damage. This year, worst has been 14.5 hours below freezing, low 24.1F. No damage whatsoever.

Darkman

Lowest temp this year 24.4 but I think it is the hard frost that I have had several times that has completely bronzed mine. It has almost four foot of clear trunk and about ten small pups. 90% bronze leaves. Last year I completely lost all foilage that regrew this summer but it did not have the length to the fronds as before. The longest one is about four foot. I'm hoping that it can recover again. I may have to grow this as a understory planting or cover it every year on frosty nights.

buccaneers37

I have(had) a single trunk reclinata/rupicola hybrid that saw 18deg last year. 15' of clear trunk. Fairly heavy damage. Tried to grow back all summer. Flush several fronds & they would slowly die. This process repeated 3 or 4 times. Sad. Finally collapsed it's bud in Sept/Oct. Now I have a 15' pole in my yard :(

sonoranfans

True reclinatas are hard to find. There are mostly hybrids out there because this species is prolific in hybridizing. the true reclinatas are gorgeous, very green, lustrous, but wimpy in the cold compared to hybrids. I understand the nearly pure reclinatas wont take a frost at all and will burn like a rupicola, with anything below 27F or so.

Walt

I had three nights below 25 degrees (the coldest being 20.9 degrees) and three nights in the mid 20s. All my exposed P. reclinata (hybrids), roebelenii, and rupicola were frost/cold burned to varing degrees, as the below photos attest.

2376106480042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2733493780042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2235960290042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2077679170042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Collectorpalms

One Reclinata multitrunk burned back to just a stump after 18F and two days near 30F for a high and high winds in early February. Sprouting at the the base on March 1. previously show some damage at around 23

Best Regards,

Ryan Fuller

www.collectorpalms.com

Darkman

Is it the temps or frost that damages the reclinata so bad. I'm moving mine to under heavy live oak canopys. Do you think that will stop them from browning in the mid twenties? I have one clumper and just acquired two single trunks. One of the single trunks has yellow frond bases so I'm thinking it must have some sylvestris in it. All of them burned badly with a 24 degree low and several heavy frosts this winter. My large sylvestris showed no damage yet.

Darkman

UPDATE

All of my P. reclinatas and various hybrids have died after the last  two Winters that had several 18 degree nights and a ice storm with thirty hours of sub freezing temps. Two of the hybrids one with Sylvestris characteristics were protected from frost and it was the temperature that killed them. My large reclinata still has pups coming up but my main trunk that had eventually grew to six feet of clear trunk is dead.

On a side note my twenty foot tall specimen Sylvestris trunk broke several feet off the ground and it is now dead. Where it broke the inside was black. Very disappointing. Phoenix palms do not do well in Pensacola.

_Keith

I bought mine as a strap leaf on eBay.  In its 2nd year, 3 days right around 19-21 took it to the ground, but it came back.  Three years later, the same temps took it down to about 2 feet, but again it roared back.   It will not reach its glory here anytime soon, but slowly I think it will be a formidable palm with quite a presence.

Edited by _Keith