IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix reclinata

tropicalb

Ditto, 24.1F, no damage.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

24.8 FF, no damage that I can tell.  I was hoping, they're getting rowdy!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Reclinata/Rupicola multi-trunk hybrid planted 2 1/2 years ago. Largest trunk has 1.5’ of clear trunk. Low of 22F with no frost and no overhead protection. Put single light 100W bulb underneath. No damage or any sign of stress.

Sacramento Area, zone 9B

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks after a big freeze.  Nearby areas exposed to three nights of 24.8, and a consecutive night down to 27. F, no frost.

I think it got a LOT colder on this one.  It's at the very back of the back of my backyard.

Maybe 20 F?

post-208-1170027144_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 year later...

Some 25F some 27F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with a short period of light frost. No damage

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 3 weeks later...

Small specimen, roughly 2' tall, in a somewhat protected area with surrounding foliage. Last winter 15 hours below freezing, low 23.3F. No damage. This year, worst has been 14.5 hours below freezing, low 24.1F. No damage whatsoever.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 1 year later...

Lowest temp this year 24.4 but I think it is the hard frost that I have had several times that has completely bronzed mine. It has almost four foot of clear trunk and about ten small pups. 90% bronze leaves. Last year I completely lost all foilage that regrew this summer but it did not have the length to the fronds as before. The longest one is about four foot. I'm hoping that it can recover again. I may have to grow this as a understory planting or cover it every year on frosty nights.

Darkman in Pensacola - Looking for cold hardy palms and plants that make Pensacola look tropical

Life - Some assembly required, Side effects frequently experienced, Mileage may vary, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Opinions that analyst twist to support the insanity of those that pay them.

I have(had) a single trunk reclinata/rupicola hybrid that saw 18deg last year. 15' of clear trunk. Fairly heavy damage. Tried to grow back all summer. Flush several fronds & they would slowly die. This process repeated 3 or 4 times. Sad. Finally collapsed it's bud in Sept/Oct. Now I have a 15' pole in my yard :(

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

True reclinatas are hard to find. There are mostly hybrids out there because this species is prolific in hybridizing. the true reclinatas are gorgeous, very green, lustrous, but wimpy in the cold compared to hybrids. I understand the nearly pure reclinatas wont take a frost at all and will burn like a rupicola, with anything below 27F or so.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I had three nights below 25 degrees (the coldest being 20.9 degrees) and three nights in the mid 20s. All my exposed P. reclinata (hybrids), roebelenii, and rupicola were frost/cold burned to varing degrees, as the below photos attest.

2376106480042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2733493780042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2235960290042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2077679170042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

• 1 month later...

One Reclinata multitrunk burned back to just a stump after 18F and two days near 30F for a high and high winds in early February. Sprouting at the the base on March 1. previously show some damage at around 23

Best Regards,

Ryan Fuller

www.collectorpalms.com

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Is it the temps or frost that damages the reclinata so bad. I'm moving mine to under heavy live oak canopys. Do you think that will stop them from browning in the mid twenties? I have one clumper and just acquired two single trunks. One of the single trunks has yellow frond bases so I'm thinking it must have some sylvestris in it. All of them burned badly with a 24 degree low and several heavy frosts this winter. My large sylvestris showed no damage yet.

Darkman in Pensacola - Looking for cold hardy palms and plants that make Pensacola look tropical

Life - Some assembly required, Side effects frequently experienced, Mileage may vary, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Opinions that analyst twist to support the insanity of those that pay them.

• 4 years later...

UPDATE

All of my P. reclinatas and various hybrids have died after the last  two Winters that had several 18 degree nights and a ice storm with thirty hours of sub freezing temps. Two of the hybrids one with Sylvestris characteristics were protected from frost and it was the temperature that killed them. My large reclinata still has pups coming up but my main trunk that had eventually grew to six feet of clear trunk is dead.

On a side note my twenty foot tall specimen Sylvestris trunk broke several feet off the ground and it is now dead. Where it broke the inside was black. Very disappointing. Phoenix palms do not do well in Pensacola.

I bought mine as a strap leaf on eBay.  In its 2nd year, 3 days right around 19-21 took it to the ground, but it came back.  Three years later, the same temps took it down to about 2 feet, but again it roared back.   It will not reach its glory here anytime soon, but slowly I think it will be a formidable palm with quite a presence.

Edited by _Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages