IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona chinensis

tropicalb

29 FF.  No protection.

No damage.

So far. . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Fully exposed 10-12' tree at Nickel Palm Nursery showed ~30% tip burn.  Two plus weeks of 12+ hour freeze days.  Several lows in the 15-18F range according to Phil Nickel.  Contact Phil for more complete information.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

What I have noticed about these palms is that, with cold weather, they develop a temporary "splotchy" appearance to the leaves (that leads one to think they are damaged).  But, within a few hours after warming up, the leaves go right back to looking normal.

Boy do I wish all palms acted like this :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Update:

fifteen-gallon specimen (2-3' wide) planted out in the open, a few months ago, NO DAMAGE after four solid evil nights of 28-29 F, -1 C.

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I was a little supprised at some of my neighbor's L. chinensis after a 26.5F minimum. The exposed ones all had various amounts of leaf burn, one fairly severe. The ones in partial to full shade made out better with no damage. Mine are all damage free but they are all in partial to full shade areas.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Newly planted baby, about 5 gallon size, four nights of 28-29 F, no frost, not a scratch.

post-208-1170026930_thumb.jpg

Chinensis in the Bay Area that experienced temps of 17-18 for 3 nights are totally fried back to the spear, but will certainly recover. There are huge L.chinensis all over New Orleans the size of W. filiferas, and historically New Orleans has seen low teens, so they are resilient, although I've seen some with 30-50% damage from low 20s. Var. "subglobossa" (now L. bononensis) in the same garden are only partially defoliated. In my own garden I barely got below 30 this year, but last year, when I only got down to 35, I lost two big ones after the wettest Winter on record with over 50" of rain, so they don't tolerate extreme cold wet conditions, but obviously in Louisiana thrive in heat and humidity.

Zone 10a, at sea level, eastern shore of San Francisco Bay,where baymuck met dry land 100 years ago;  swampy  during the rainy season;rarely below 35F or above 95F;  Northern  California Chapter Vice-President and Oakland Lakeside Palmetum Director

• 1 year later...

25F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with a short period of light frost. No damage.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 2 weeks later...

two weeks with moderate freezes and heavy frost between -4°C/25°F and -6°C/21°F and one night with -8.5°C/17°F and days of only 0°C/4°C (32°F/39°F)...

this cold was to much for them. one smal L. chinenies is dead but onther one with 1m of trunk has a chance to survive, the spear of this one seems to be alright (at the moment). both plants are growing in a pot. if the bigger one survives i wil plant it out.

Bayou Bob, interesting to hear about those L. chinensies var subglobossa. i have a few seedlings of this variant. i hope it can take more than a "normal" L. chinensies...

• 2 months later...

Comparative freeze damage impressions in Alachua County, Florida, observations in mid April of damage from mid-January freeze.

Livistona chinensis suffered far less damage than I have noted in earlier severe freezes (observations since 1962), especially in light of the rather substantial foliar damage to Washingtonia robusta. In the past it seemed L.c. always fared much worse than W.r. but I have also observed that with the W.r. damage is often slow to be seen and seems to be exacerbated by rainy weather. Another surprise is how well Syagris romanzoffianum fared in the Gainesville area. Some damage hear and there, but some trees virtually undamaged. I'm not sure what the official Gainesville low was (I live in Cross Creek, FL), but I suspect it was around 22 F. and substantially less in some suburban areas. Phoenix reclinata did very well everywhere and one large Arenga englerii seems untouched.Freeze Data

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Multiple nights below freezing, ultimate low of around 20. Sheltered leaves look pretty good with minor damage around the edges while exposed leaves are toast.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 2 weeks later...

Exposed specimens. Three days all near 20. Multiple other freezes in the upper 20's and more frost than I can count. Many specimens between 50 and 100 percent foliage damage, but none that won't fully recover by the end of summer.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 1 month later...

Suprisingly they faired better than Robustas , damaged foliage after 13 deg , mid teens ect, coming back strong,well protected allthough. but my neighbor lost three of his.

• 6 years later...

Low 19.8F with over 250 combined hours of hard (28F or lower) freeze temperatures winter 2013/14 .  15g size, planted Livistona chinensis killed during this freeze.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

• 1 year later...

6' ct palms- 

22f calm night zero damage

20f calm night 25% burn. This is the one pictured. It survived 13f last year,  complete defoliation.  

20171213_141205.jpg

• Upvote 3