tropicalb

Livistona chinensis

tropicalb

22F..15 gal potted palms located at the top of a cold drain... somewhat sheltered.

Hardly any noticeable damage:

chin.jpg

DoomsDave

29 FF.  No protection.

No damage.

So far. . . .

dave

iwan

Fully exposed 10-12' tree at Nickel Palm Nursery showed ~30% tip burn.  Two plus weeks of 12+ hour freeze days.  Several lows in the 15-18F range according to Phil Nickel.  Contact Phil for more complete information.

spockvr6

What I have noticed about these palms is that, with cold weather, they develop a temporary "splotchy" appearance to the leaves (that leads one to think they are damaged).  But, within a few hours after warming up, the leaves go right back to looking normal.

Boy do I wish all palms acted like this :D

DoomsDave

Update:

fifteen-gallon specimen (2-3' wide) planted out in the open, a few months ago, NO DAMAGE after four solid evil nights of 28-29 F, -1 C.

dave

Jim in Los Altos

I was a little supprised at some of my neighbor's L. chinensis after a 26.5F minimum. The exposed ones all had various amounts of leaf burn, one fairly severe. The ones in partial to full shade made out better with no damage. Mine are all damage free but they are all in partial to full shade areas.

DoomsDave

Newly planted baby, about 5 gallon size, four nights of 28-29 F, no frost, not a scratch.

post-208-1170026930_thumb.jpg

Bayou Bob

Chinensis in the Bay Area that experienced temps of 17-18 for 3 nights are totally fried back to the spear, but will certainly recover. There are huge L.chinensis all over New Orleans the size of W. filiferas, and historically New Orleans has seen low teens, so they are resilient, although I've seen some with 30-50% damage from low 20s. Var. "subglobossa" (now L. bononensis) in the same garden are only partially defoliated. In my own garden I barely got below 30 this year, but last year, when I only got down to 35, I lost two big ones after the wettest Winter on record with over 50" of rain, so they don't tolerate extreme cold wet conditions, but obviously in Louisiana thrive in heat and humidity.

freakypalmguy

25F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with a short period of light frost. No damage.

kristof p

two weeks with moderate freezes and heavy frost between -4°C/25°F and -6°C/21°F and one night with -8.5°C/17°F and days of only 0°C/4°C (32°F/39°F)...

this cold was to much for them. one smal L. chinenies is dead but onther one with 1m of trunk has a chance to survive, the spear of this one seems to be alright (at the moment). both plants are growing in a pot. if the bigger one survives i wil plant it out.

Bayou Bob, interesting to hear about those L. chinensies var subglobossa. i have a few seedlings of this variant. i hope it can take more than a "normal" L. chinensies...

Robin

Comparative freeze damage impressions in Alachua County, Florida, observations in mid April of damage from mid-January freeze.

Livistona chinensis suffered far less damage than I have noted in earlier severe freezes (observations since 1962), especially in light of the rather substantial foliar damage to Washingtonia robusta. In the past it seemed L.c. always fared much worse than W.r. but I have also observed that with the W.r. damage is often slow to be seen and seems to be exacerbated by rainy weather. Another surprise is how well Syagris romanzoffianum fared in the Gainesville area. Some damage hear and there, but some trees virtually undamaged. I'm not sure what the official Gainesville low was (I live in Cross Creek, FL), but I suspect it was around 22 F. and substantially less in some suburban areas. Phoenix reclinata did very well everywhere and one large Arenga englerii seems untouched.Freeze Data

• Like 1

krishnaraoji88

Multiple nights below freezing, ultimate low of around 20. Sheltered leaves look pretty good with minor damage around the edges while exposed leaves are toast.

-Krishna

Xenon

17f = 50% burn, some water oak canopy.

-Jonathan

_Keith

Exposed specimens. Three days all near 20. Multiple other freezes in the upper 20's and more frost than I can count. Many specimens between 50 and 100 percent foliage damage, but none that won't fully recover by the end of summer.

GREENHAND

Suprisingly they faired better than Robustas , damaged foliage after 13 deg , mid teens ect, coming back strong,well protected allthough. but my neighbor lost three of his.

iwan

Low 19.8F with over 250 combined hours of hard (28F or lower) freeze temperatures winter 2013/14 .  15g size, planted Livistona chinensis killed during this freeze.

TexasColdHardyPalms

6' ct palms- 

22f calm night zero damage

20f calm night 25% burn. This is the one pictured. It survived 13f last year,  complete defoliation.  

20171213_141205.jpg

• Upvote 3