IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Baronii

doubravsky

This was interesting. I have several- all from 5 gallon this year or last. One that was out in the colder area with no protection is toast....

post-33-1168907683_thumb.jpg

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

The others, all with varying degrees of protection, look ok to minor damage

(24 degrees)

post-33-1168907737_thumb.jpg

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

4 foot tall trunking (4 trunks) in partial shade but no protection and 26.5F low. 50% leaf burn.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

D. baronii, 2gal size plant in ground and 15 gal size plant in ground

same results

24.1F, no frost, no overhead canopy

Covered entire plants w/ 1 layer of cotton t-shirts

10% leaf burn, only on the top horizontal surfaces

Small one pictured, larger one similar damage.

post-126-1168921276_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

So far, (!)

6 foot tall specimens, in different spots, minimal damage, from 29 FF cold . . .

Shivering . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Four seedlings, second winter in the ground (slow!).  Lowest low 31, dry.  No damage visible.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Dave (post 1), I'm assuming your unprotected D. baronii got the same lows as your protected ones?? Or was it slightly colder in the unprotected area?

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

27F and both plants, about 5 years old, completely fried.  The smaller one is already dead.  Larger one looks like the spikes may survive (larger plant about 6' tall leaf tips).  This larger plant had quite a bit of protection, not only overhead from shade cloth and Strelitzia nicolai (totally fried), but also growing amonst other taller trees (Itallian Cypress)... and right next to (fronds overlapping) a Ravenea juliette that went nearly unscathed... yet this plant, 6' tall over all, with three healthy, happy stems, was completely and utterly defoliated... what a wimp!!!!  Was totally surprised by that.

Patrick, the worst one was in the coldest part of the yard... bottom of a 10' slope... where it looks like everything in that area got completely toasted.

The other one was nearer the house, and near the heated pool, which helped I believe.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Single trunking d. Baroii ( 4 ft clear trunk )...  planted close to my house slight leaf damage.... Clumping d Baronii.... simular location.... no damage. My garden Thermometer 26f... Official Modesto temps 23f.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Egad!

My prior post, well, sucks.

Sorry.

Four days of 28-29 FF (-c) straight all night, or at least several hours, fully exposed, 5% damage.

All plants in the ground three+ years, trunking flowered first time this summer, so far so good.  

Babies in five-gallons, apparently stood up to three days of 24.8, then another day of 28 F, exposed.  No damage.  Hip-hip-hoo-ray!

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

27°F for two nights several 32°mornings one 3' in a large pot on South side of house with overhang, no damage 2 3/4 mi. from the Pacific in McKinleyville Ca.

THings generally went well for the baronii, except for a bit of damage a couple of weeks after we had four days of 28-29 F, no frost:

post-208-1170025172_thumb.jpg

and another view

post-208-1170025273_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Update 4/10/07

Single trunking d. Baronii in protected location dead.

Clumping d. Baronii ( looks much different than single trunk ) in less protected location... no damage.

I think these are two different Dypsis.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

• 2 weeks later...

Only palm in my garden that got zero damage... Must be the highland form.

Jeff

o.JPG

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

• 2 months later...

Have any of the damaged D. baronii recovered this summer?  Mine were close to the house and our temp only hit 28 in Jan.; so, they didn't get tested.  Thanks.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

• 1 month later...

Quick refresh of this thread.  Did anyone who had serious (fatal-looking) damage on their clumping Dypsis see a recovery from the roots this summer?  I'm just wondering whether these palms are resilient when damaged..  Thanks.

Jason

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

I had two that had >50% leaf damage grow new spears, pulled them, and then it came back and seems ok.

Also had one that completely fried.... never to return :(

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Thanks, Dave.  This is helpful for siting this palm.  Looks like it will need a lot of protection where I am.  

Jason

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

• 5 months later...

One plant, 7 stems, 5' OA height

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

70% leaf burn

One stem killed, remainder of plant fully recovered

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....