Sign in to follow this  
doubravsky

Dypsis Baronii

doubravsky

This was interesting. I have several- all from 5 gallon this year or last. One that was out in the colder area with no protection is toast....

post-33-1168907683_thumb.jpg

doubravsky

The others, all with varying degrees of protection, look ok to minor damage

(24 degrees)

post-33-1168907737_thumb.jpg

tropicalb

22F...mature 15 foot specimen in the ground...major foliage damage possibly due to cold air running off the roof into the plant:

baronii.jpg

Jim in Los Altos

4 foot tall trunking (4 trunks) in partial shade but no protection and 26.5F low. 50% leaf burn.

MattyB

D. baronii, 2gal size plant in ground and 15 gal size plant in ground

same results

24.1F, no frost, no overhead canopy

Covered entire plants w/ 1 layer of cotton t-shirts

10% leaf burn, only on the top horizontal surfaces

Small one pictured, larger one similar damage.

post-126-1168921276_thumb.jpg

DoomsDave

So far, (!)

6 foot tall specimens, in different spots, minimal damage, from 29 FF cold . . .

Shivering . . .

dave

Kim

Four seedlings, second winter in the ground (slow!).  Lowest low 31, dry.  No damage visible.

BigWaveDave

27F low, practically out in the open, only slight burn <10%

Patrick

Dave (post 1), I'm assuming your unprotected D. baronii got the same lows as your protected ones?? Or was it slightly colder in the unprotected area?

Geoff

27F and both plants, about 5 years old, completely fried.  The smaller one is already dead.  Larger one looks like the spikes may survive (larger plant about 6' tall leaf tips).  This larger plant had quite a bit of protection, not only overhead from shade cloth and Strelitzia nicolai (totally fried), but also growing amonst other taller trees (Itallian Cypress)... and right next to (fronds overlapping) a Ravenea juliette that went nearly unscathed... yet this plant, 6' tall over all, with three healthy, happy stems, was completely and utterly defoliated... what a wimp!!!!  Was totally surprised by that.

doubravsky

Patrick, the worst one was in the coldest part of the yard... bottom of a 10' slope... where it looks like everything in that area got completely toasted.

The other one was nearer the house, and near the heated pool, which helped I believe.

JEFF IN MODESTO

Single trunking d. Baroii ( 4 ft clear trunk )...  planted close to my house slight leaf damage.... Clumping d Baronii.... simular location.... no damage. My garden Thermometer 26f... Official Modesto temps 23f.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

Egad!

My prior post, well, sucks.

Sorry.

Four days of 28-29 FF (-c) straight all night, or at least several hours, fully exposed, 5% damage.

All plants in the ground three+ years, trunking flowered first time this summer, so far so good.  

Babies in five-gallons, apparently stood up to three days of 24.8, then another day of 28 F, exposed.  No damage.  Hip-hip-hoo-ray!

dave

NorCal

27°F for two nights several 32°mornings one 3' in a large pot on South side of house with overhang, no damage 2 3/4 mi. from the Pacific in McKinleyville Ca.

DoomsDave

THings generally went well for the baronii, except for a bit of damage a couple of weeks after we had four days of 28-29 F, no frost:

post-208-1170025172_thumb.jpg

DoomsDave

and another view

post-208-1170025273_thumb.jpg

JEFF IN MODESTO

Update 4/10/07

Single trunking d. Baronii in protected location dead.

Clumping d. Baronii ( looks much different than single trunk ) in less protected location... no damage.

I think these are two different Dypsis.

Jeff

JEFF IN MODESTO

Only palm in my garden that got zero damage... Must be the highland form.

Jeff

o.JPG

mppalms

Have any of the damaged D. baronii recovered this summer?  Mine were close to the house and our temp only hit 28 in Jan.; so, they didn't get tested.  Thanks.

Jason

mppalms

Quick refresh of this thread.  Did anyone who had serious (fatal-looking) damage on their clumping Dypsis see a recovery from the roots this summer?  I'm just wondering whether these palms are resilient when damaged..  Thanks.

Jason

doubravsky

I had two that had >50% leaf damage grow new spears, pulled them, and then it came back and seems ok.

Also had one that completely fried.... never to return :(

mppalms

Thanks, Dave.  This is helpful for siting this palm.  Looks like it will need a lot of protection where I am.  

Jason

STEVE IN SO CAL

One plant, 7 stems, 5' OA height

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

70% leaf burn

One stem killed, remainder of plant fully recovered