IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp. 'Orange Crush'

Gtlevine

One of my Dypsis Orange Crush is right out in the open and got a good look at the 27F zone on Saturday night. I was quite surprised that it had no damage or cold effects.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Wow Gary,

If this turns out to be a good California palm, what a find.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean, the O.C. is about 20 feet from my Howeas and the Howeas all got some minor damage. I would have expected the O.C. to damage first, but it really performed well. Any idea what the temps were down at your pad in Leucadia?

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Gary,

I bottomed out at 33.5 Sat night. That's the same location I have had my thermometer since 1989. In '89 it was 28.

It is still open to the sky, but the canopy has closed in quite a bit. It appears as if this event was somewhat forgiving on the immediate coast. In '89 I remember it was such an offshore influence that the ocean was taken out of the equation all together.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

The lowest temps my OC saw was 33.4 and not so much as a flinch on that baby! This deffinatly makes me very happy to see this palm so happy still.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Mine saw at least 29F on Fri night, I then took it inside. It looks fine.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

You guys will like this; my tiny Orange Crush, with 2 leaves about 8" long, in a 5g container, made it thru 20d., no frost, outside under the eaves of the house with zero damage.

San Fernando Valley, California

(Peter @ Jan. 16 2007,13:43)

You guys will like this; my tiny Orange Crush, with 2 leaves about 8" long, in a 5g container, made it thru 20d., no frost, outside under the eaves of the house with zero damage.

Woohoo!  You hit 20F?!  In a container?!  This one looks promising!

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

(Peter @ Jan. 16 2007,10:43)

Niiiiice!! My biggest one in in a 24" box but I have several smaller ones in 3 gallon containers and not one of them show any signs of stress at all. Gotta love it!! :cool:

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

I am a little curious if the upright nature of the fronds keeps them where its warmer and less surface to "settle on"?  (only applies to the larger plants)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Awesome news guys I wish I could say the same.  I entered some posts during the cold spell w/ pics of an undamaged Dypsis O.C. to 29 degrees F.  Unfortunately I think I spoke too soon.  Here are some pics from this morning.  I never had any frost.  I wrapped the trunks with burlap, sprayed the fronds w/ an anti-transpirant,  ran a propane heater in the middle of the backyard and ran some electric fans to move the air during the last 2 days.  I live in Mission Viejo and the Dypsis is located at the bottom of a small wind-protected terrace.

100_2799.jpg

More damage appearing every day.  My temps went from 29-31-31.5-32.5-33F over 5 worst days.

100_2800.jpg

100_2801.jpg

100_2798.jpg

Good luck to all.  Let me know if your O.C's show any late damage.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

My Orange crush has showed some late damage, not as bad as yours, but I took it into the garage after the first night!!!  I have noticed the new spear" tip" (the 4" emerging one) looks brown, but seems to be growing..just put in some Hydro perox this afternoon.  The other 4' spear looks fairly good.  I think this palm would take an occasional big drop in temp, its just very cumlative with the 5 days of that crap we had!

PS- Michael, hows your looking now? Or at least the spear?

Bill

Hello Bill, unfortunately, my Dypsis O.C. has shown more damage since I posted those last pics.  I don't have any new pics to show at this time but the fronds that were starting to dry up have reached about 90% death.  On the brighter side, the new spear appears to be undamaged and growing.  In fact,  I measured it and in the last 3 weeks it has grown appx. 2 1/2"at the spear.  I 've given it some Daconil (fungicide) and more water to coincide w/ the warmer weather.  This palm should recover in the coming months (Atleast I hope so).  In the 1 1/2 years that it was in the ground it has been one of the fastest growers in the yard and it seems to adjust to climate change quite well.  It lost a few fronds following its trip from Hawaii to California but they were replaced in one season.  Take care.  Mike

• 1 month later...

I was looking at this palm today and am happy to note the new spear is opening up. It pushed about 3" more over the last 6 weeks or so.  Should be fine soon. :D

• 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I wish that I had more data available, but this went from a 1 gallon plant to a pot the size of a 35 gallon tub (which it hasn't yet filled out) in about 2 1/2 years.  Never had any issues with cold, although I doubt that it's dropped below the upper 30's during that period.  It has well drained soil, and I don't give it a ton of water.

IMAG0216.thumb.jpg.8963251338af967cc3ddcIMAG0217.thumb.jpg.e896f276687a59c384bc8

Edited by Sabal Steve

I wish this species wasn't so darn slow growing. In the tropics they are rocket ships....

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

The one I planted.. (May be the same one I mentioned) is now pushing about 6-7' leaves :D

Edited by BS Man about Palms

The one I planted.. (May be the same one I mentioned) is now pushing about 6-7' leaves :D

Nice!! post pic's when you get a chance :) 

Sunset zone 24

Done!  (Yes, the area needs weeding... what else is new?.. hahah)

20151012_153843_resized.jpg

Done!  (Yes, the area needs weeding... what else is new?.. hahah)

20151012_153843_resized.jpg

wow!!! How old is she?

Sunset zone 24

I can't remember if this was one from the Ironmongers or Soledad... either way, I figure 12-15 years from seed.

I must say its doing a rather effective job at blocking a large Clinostigma behind it

Edited by BS Man about Palms

I can't remember if this was one from the Ironmongers or Soledad... either way, I figure 12-15 years from seed.

I must say its doing a rather effective job at blocking a large Clinostigma behind it

So far that the biggest one I've seen in California. nicely done sir!!

Sunset zone 24

I think Greg Hamman may have a bigger one IIRC. :D

• 3 years later...

Hi. 

Do someone have new freeze experiences with dypsis O.C.? I have little Palms of O.C. on my greenhouse and I want to know as much as posible before take them out