Gtlevine

Dypsis sp. 'Orange Crush'

Gtlevine

One of my Dypsis Orange Crush is right out in the open and got a good look at the 27F zone on Saturday night. I was quite surprised that it had no damage or cold effects.

Gary

Dypsisdean

Wow Gary,

If this turns out to be a good California palm, what a find.

Gtlevine

Dean, the O.C. is about 20 feet from my Howeas and the Howeas all got some minor damage. I would have expected the O.C. to damage first, but it really performed well. Any idea what the temps were down at your pad in Leucadia?

Gary

Dypsisdean

Gary,

I bottomed out at 33.5 Sat night. That's the same location I have had my thermometer since 1989. In '89 it was 28.

It is still open to the sky, but the canopy has closed in quite a bit. It appears as if this event was somewhat forgiving on the immediate coast. In '89 I remember it was such an offshore influence that the ocean was taken out of the equation all together.

deezpalms

The lowest temps my OC saw was 33.4 and not so much as a flinch on that baby! This deffinatly makes me very happy to see this palm so happy still.

BS Man about Palms

Mine saw at least 29F on Fri night, I then took it inside. It looks fine.

BigWaveDave

1gal and 5gal (same size plant), 27F low no frost, under shadecover, no damage

Peter

You guys will like this; my tiny Orange Crush, with 2 leaves about 8" long, in a 5g container, made it thru 20d., no frost, outside under the eaves of the house with zero damage.

Kathy

(Peter @ Jan. 16 2007,13:43)

You guys will like this; my tiny Orange Crush, with 2 leaves about 8" long, in a 5g container, made it thru 20d., no frost, outside under the eaves of the house with zero damage.

Woohoo!  You hit 20F?!  In a container?!  This one looks promising!

deezpalms

(Peter @ Jan. 16 2007,10:43)

Niiiiice!! My biggest one in in a 24" box but I have several smaller ones in 3 gallon containers and not one of them show any signs of stress at all. Gotta love it!! :cool:

BS Man about Palms

I am a little curious if the upright nature of the fronds keeps them where its warmer and less surface to "settle on"?  (only applies to the larger plants)

neoflora

This palm is amazing! Marked the spike and is growing right thru this. A little wind damage.

palmophile

Awesome news guys I wish I could say the same.  I entered some posts during the cold spell w/ pics of an undamaged Dypsis O.C. to 29 degrees F.  Unfortunately I think I spoke too soon.  Here are some pics from this morning.  I never had any frost.  I wrapped the trunks with burlap, sprayed the fronds w/ an anti-transpirant,  ran a propane heater in the middle of the backyard and ran some electric fans to move the air during the last 2 days.  I live in Mission Viejo and the Dypsis is located at the bottom of a small wind-protected terrace.

100_2799.jpg

More damage appearing every day.  My temps went from 29-31-31.5-32.5-33F over 5 worst days.

100_2800.jpg

100_2801.jpg

100_2798.jpg

Good luck to all.  Let me know if your O.C's show any late damage.  Thanks.

BS Man about Palms

My Orange crush has showed some late damage, not as bad as yours, but I took it into the garage after the first night!!!  I have noticed the new spear" tip" (the 4" emerging one) looks brown, but seems to be growing..just put in some Hydro perox this afternoon.  The other 4' spear looks fairly good.  I think this palm would take an occasional big drop in temp, its just very cumlative with the 5 days of that crap we had!

PS- Michael, hows your looking now? Or at least the spear?

Bill

palmophile

Hello Bill, unfortunately, my Dypsis O.C. has shown more damage since I posted those last pics.  I don't have any new pics to show at this time but the fronds that were starting to dry up have reached about 90% death.  On the brighter side, the new spear appears to be undamaged and growing.  In fact,  I measured it and in the last 3 weeks it has grown appx. 2 1/2"at the spear.  I 've given it some Daconil (fungicide) and more water to coincide w/ the warmer weather.  This palm should recover in the coming months (Atleast I hope so).  In the 1 1/2 years that it was in the ground it has been one of the fastest growers in the yard and it seems to adjust to climate change quite well.  It lost a few fronds following its trip from Hawaii to California but they were replaced in one season.  Take care.  Mike

BS Man about Palms

I was looking at this palm today and am happy to note the new spear is opening up. It pushed about 3" more over the last 6 weeks or so.  Should be fine soon. :D

Caryota_gigas

Mine has yet to go through any frost or extreme cold yet. It is a fairly new planting and growing slowly, but steadily.

Here is a vid of mine.

naraj

I had 3 tiny seedlings in the ground survive 33 degrees (no frost) in Sarasota last winter, with no protection.

Sabal Steve

I wish that I had more data available, but this went from a 1 gallon plant to a pot the size of a 35 gallon tub (which it hasn't yet filled out) in about 2 1/2 years.  Never had any issues with cold, although I doubt that it's dropped below the upper 30's during that period.  It has well drained soil, and I don't give it a ton of water.

IMAG0216.thumb.jpg.8963251338af967cc3ddcIMAG0217.thumb.jpg.e896f276687a59c384bc8

Edited by Sabal Steve

Josh-O

I wish this species wasn't so darn slow growing. In the tropics they are rocket ships....

BS Man about Palms

The one I planted.. (May be the same one I mentioned) is now pushing about 6-7' leaves :D

Edited by BS Man about Palms

Josh-O

The one I planted.. (May be the same one I mentioned) is now pushing about 6-7' leaves :D

Nice!! post pic's when you get a chance :) 

BS Man about Palms

Done!  (Yes, the area needs weeding... what else is new?.. hahah)

20151012_153843_resized.jpg

Hilo Jason

That's looking great Bill!

Josh-O

Done!  (Yes, the area needs weeding... what else is new?.. hahah)

20151012_153843_resized.jpg

wow!!! How old is she?

BS Man about Palms

I can't remember if this was one from the Ironmongers or Soledad... either way, I figure 12-15 years from seed.

I must say its doing a rather effective job at blocking a large Clinostigma behind it

Edited by BS Man about Palms

Josh-O

I can't remember if this was one from the Ironmongers or Soledad... either way, I figure 12-15 years from seed.

I must say its doing a rather effective job at blocking a large Clinostigma behind it

So far that the biggest one I've seen in California. nicely done sir!!

BS Man about Palms

I think Greg Hamman may have a bigger one IIRC. :D

Josh-O

wow!!

spikemc

Hi. 

Do someone have new freeze experiences with dypsis O.C.? I have little Palms of O.C. on my greenhouse and I want to know as much as posible before take them out