IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are this seedlings from the same species?

Alberto

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are this seedlings from the same species?

• Yes, its clear.
    • No,of course not!

Species 1)First 2 pics : Seedlings with first leave + other seedling a little older with 2nd fully pinate leave.

Species 2)Third pic: Long strap leaves like a Syagrus sp.

post-465-063915700 1315166875_thumb.jpg

post-465-052520400 1315166993_thumb.jpg

post-465-080227600 1315167168_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Strange that two so different palms: Lytocaryum weddelianum and L.insigne has been placed in synonymy for so many years. From seedling stage they are TOTALLY different palms!IT`S MORE THAN CLEAR! L.insigne grows in higher altitude (1000-1800m,Nova Friburg-RJ and Vargem Alta-ES)in low canopy montane forest,seasonally dry in white sandy soil and L.weddelianum in humid open forests at 800-975m altitude in the region of Petrópolis RJ.

L.insigne is a more robust palm to 10m high,resistant to full sun and dry periods. and L.weddellianum to 1-3m high, an understory palm.

Anyway, two different palms and that misteriously where considered one species for years.... Mistery for me!:mrlooney::)

I´ll try to obtain more seedlings of L.insigne that looks so gracefull and will probably adapt very well to his new habitat here!

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Some of my L weddellianum below dense canopy.

Detail of silver undersides.

post-465-000280700 1315169275_thumb.jpg

post-465-076571500 1315169396_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

L.hoehnei , another Lytocaryum species from the states Paraná and São Paulo.

post-465-072800300 1315169591_thumb.jpg

post-465-001387100 1315169681_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 5

Is somebody growing L.insigne?

I remember Toby Spanner telling somewhere that the a batch of seeds sold as L.weddellianum turned out to be L.insigne seedlings (not divided leaves)

I don't know much about lytocarium, do you have a photo of a tall lytocarium insigne?

Salut.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

I don't know much about lytocarium, do you have a photo of a tall lytocarium insigne?

Salut.

No Gilles,I don´t have a photo of L.insigne.

If you can acces ´´Palms vol. 54 (1) March 2010 .There are a few good pics.

Your Lytos in the ground are looking perfect Alberto. Cute palms...No damage during hard winters, humm? Nothing like good overhead protection, I see...

I agree that insigne seedlings look quite syagrusish...comparing to weddels and their apparent closer association with Euterpe. I'm growing weddelianum in a bright situation indoors and several insigne from seed sent by Lorenzi, under 70% shadecloth. I'll have to take a closer look, re-pot and photograph them too. Can't wait to see these babies in habitat this summer...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting that Maurício Caixeta´s little L.weeddellianum shows a very tiny strap leave. Very nice L.insignes you have!!!Where are they from?

(Interessante que tuas mudinhas de L.weddellianum tem a primeira folha inteira,não dididida. Lindas as tuas L.insigne!Onde as conseguiu?)

• 1 year later...

Hey, folks - here I am. Regards to all of my friends at Palmtalk, feel huged everybody. Have had less time during the last months as I have changed my job. Until 11/2012 I worked at CBRE, Inc. which has some locations in strategical important cities of Germany. If you check the website www.cbre.de, search for employers (in Germany) by usage of my name (Verena) you still find me there , location Dusseldorf. :D

Was a great job in a perfect team but 4,5 h in the car every day and a monthly budget of about 400 € just for gas ... no. It was time to finish that and find the peace in my life.

Now I am working at Germany biggest energy provider and I am happy like never before.

But back to toppic. MY toppic ( :D ), besides the Acanthos.

Just today I bought a lot of seeds of L. insigne (minimum purchase was of 500 USD) from Jeff in Brazil. Guess, they will be shipped at the beginning of next week. My godness, I am sooooo thrilled. Have learned from Tobi (RPS) that seeds of L. insigne do not love too much heat. That means: no heating mat for them. I get a notion why the seeds of L. hoehnei don´t germinate. They are on a heating mat ... :(

Okay, the issue of L. insigne has been successfully closed but now ... I am seeking for L. itapebiensis desperately. Has anybody here connections or seeds himself?

THANK YOU,

Verena

• Upvote 1

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

One of my L. insigne after +- 3 years (same as from the pic above of september 2011, still in bags)

post-465-0-44673300-1409106701_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Close up

post-465-0-22904600-1409107121_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

One of my L. insigne after +- 3 years (same as from the pic above of september 2011, still in bags)

Very nice plant! I am still waiting (after 15 months!) for the first pinnate leaves. Concerning your first question I installed a folder at my Flickr account labelled »weddellianum vs insigne«:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/palmeir/sets/72157650181878714

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 2 months later...

Here an update to my documentation of the differences between the 2 species Lytocaryum weddellianum and Lytocaryum insigne (Syagrus weddelliana vs Syagrus insignis), contrasting these palms at an age of one year and a half; the diameter of the clay pots (left) is 12 cm, of the plastic containers (right) 14.6 cm:

post-10467-0-63341200-1440248089_thumb.j

But back to toppic. MY toppic ( :D ), besides the Acanthos.

Just today I bought a lot of seeds of L. insigne (minimum purchase was of 500 USD) from Jeff in Brazil. Guess, they will be shipped at the beginning of next week. My godness, I am sooooo thrilled. Have learned from Tobi (RPS) that seeds of L. insigne do not love too much heat. That means: no heating mat for them. I get a notion why the seeds of L. hoehnei don´t germinate. They are on a heating mat ... :(

Okay, the issue of L. insigne has been successfully closed but now ... I am seeking for L. itapebiensis desperately. Has anybody here connections or seeds himself?

THANK YOU,

Verena

Any updates?

Alberto I suspect the second pic of a Lytocarium is L. hohenei. It is supposed to be quite rare nowadays. Farmers removed them for pasture or crops. I got a 1 gallon (3.75 litres) potted one from Florida. It was $60 + shipping. I'd love to get seeds.

Brian Bruning

Alberto I suspect the second pic of a Lytocarium is L. hohenei. It is supposed to be quite rare nowadays. Farmers removed them for pasture or crops. I got a 1 gallon (3.75 litres) potted one from Florida. It was $60 + shipping. I'd love to get seeds.

Which "second" pic do you mean?

Brian, the second pic above, is also a L. weddelianum. I have 4 flowering L. hoehnei and also 3 smaller ones, but they aren´t in this thread.

Brian, the second pic above, is also a L. weddelianum. I have 4 flowering L. hoehnei and also 3 smaller ones, but they aren´t in this thread.

Do you mean the pic in #15? It looks to me like L. insigne, not L. weddellianum. Cf. also your #14, where you wrote: "One of my L. insigne ±3 years …"

• 1 year later...

Three year later. Maybe not necessary, but because this are totally exposed to the sky, I put a big bag over the L. insigne [from Espírito Santo state] in freezing nights

Second photo a younger palm below canopy originated from Rio de Janeiro state

DSCN9653.JPG

DSCN9654.JPG

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Alberto said:

Three year later. Maybe not necessary, but because this are totally exposed to the sky, I put a big bag over the L. insigne [from Espírito Santo state] in freezing nights

Second photo a younger palm below canopy originated from Rio de Janeiro state

DSCN9653.JPG

Very nice! :wub: My L insigne N°1401 is already looking very similar, only the stem is not yet as tall as yours.

BTW the "L insigne" posted by @caixeta on 22 Sept 2011 is Lytocaryum itapebiense.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

This two L.insigne alost the canopy of a big tree that felt over. The fronds are shorter now they are in more sunm

DSCN8811.JPG

DSCN8802.JPG

• Upvote 4

The palm is covered with a thicl layer of black tomentum, 

DSCN8812.JPG

DSCN8806.JPG

• Upvote 2

Photo with flash

DSCN8808.JPG

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kenarr09 said:

What is flowering on the first picture? 

It´s a Butia odorata x Parajubaea cocoides

DSCN8796.JPG

DSCN8793.JPG

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alberto said:

It´s a Butia odorata x Parajubaea cocoides

DSCN8796.JPG

DSCN8793.JPG

Very pretty inflorescence! 

Is it producing viable seeds or is sterile? 

What about the pollen is usable? 

Maybe my questions are for another topic but not many has flowering cocoid palms like you :rolleyes:

Some of the palms produced a few big fruits, but I didn´t germinate them. I´ll try to use this pollen ... maybe on Jubutia.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Jamesasb, here is it.