IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm trees in Sochi, Russia

Vladislav Feoktistov

Ochin interiosna! Climate sounds very similar to N. Florida.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Temperatures are like in SC or GA, I think. But humidity is, certainly, Floridian!

Summer: Sunshine, sunshine, storm, sunshine.

Winter: Storm, storm, sunshine, storm.

• Upvote 1

Sochi, Russia

Humid Subtropical

USDA Zone 8b/9a

Temperatures are like in SC or GA, I think. But humidity is, certainly, Floridian!

Summer: Sunshine, sunshine, storm, sunshine.

Winter: Storm, storm, sunshine, storm.

Vlad, most of Florida is actually the other way around. We have a relatively dry winter, followed by a very dry spring, followed by a very wet summer. In the summer it's sunny most of the day, but we get a half-hour to an hour-and-a-half of very heavy rain every afternoon. And then the sun is back out again. Three quarters of all precipitation in Sarasota falls during the Jun-Sep period. From February to May we sometimes have stretches of 2 months with no rain. And normally very few rains Nov-Jan.

• Upvote 1

Well you should be able to grow Phoenix dactylifera there in Sochi! There is even one growing at the Channel Islands, and Tresco Abby gets one as well if I am right. Also pretty humid there, and much cooler in summer!

Alexander

Alexander I think it's worth another try for sure. But to this point there was no luck. Sochi averages 505 mm of precipitation Dec-Feb, compared to 267 mm for the same period in Guernsey. So the winters are exceptionally wet.

Saakov (1954) writes the following after a paragraph about the success of commercial growing of Phoenix dactylifera elsewhere in the Soviet Union (Turkmenistan) - "Attempts to introduce this palm on the Black Sea shore of Caucasus were not successful. Here it would consistently freeze to death during the cold winters due to a wet climate."

Well you should be able to grow Phoenix dactylifera there in Sochi! There is even one growing at the Channel Islands, and Tresco Abby gets one as well if I am right. Also pretty humid there, and much cooler in summer!

Alexander

No way for dactylifera :( Too humid and wet.

Sochi, Russia

Humid Subtropical

USDA Zone 8b/9a

Sabal Palmetto with climbing ivy on it

IEO5t.jpg

Edited by Vladislav Feoktistov

Sochi, Russia

Humid Subtropical

USDA Zone 8b/9a

Different Phoenix palm trees (yes - it is Lenin statue in the background :rolleyes: )

53e861243854f3c61be685c12deee069.jpg

Edited by Vladislav Feoktistov

Sochi, Russia

Humid Subtropical

USDA Zone 8b/9a

Vlad, the one on the right I think is a P. sylvestris and the one on the left I think is a canariensis/sylvestris hybrid

• Upvote 1

Today I'm posting some photos from PhytoFantasy - small, but stunning garden created by Russia's most famous landscape designer Sergey Venchagov. Sergey dead in 1997, but his works are still spread all over the city. Some parks are decaying now, some were demolished, some were preserved. He was ahead of his time and his country (USSR and Russia). Maybe this parks are trivial by American and European measures, but they are unusual and innovative for Russia.

Yet, there are few palm trees there, I hope you will enjoy this shots. Later I will post another Sergey's works.

6222491603_551c93fe46_m.jpg

PhytoFantasy Garden: View on the Theatre by Vlad Feoktistov, on Flickr

6222492079_a6b44d75fb_m.jpg

PhytoFantasy Garden: Bench by Vlad Feoktistov, on Flickr

6222492321_b8df4158d4_m.jpg

PhytoFantasy Garden: Orange Flower by Vlad Feoktistov, on Flickr

6223011080_c3dc30ba71_m.jpg

PhytoFantasy Garden: Path by Vlad Feoktistov, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

Sochi, Russia

Humid Subtropical

USDA Zone 8b/9a

Thank you and welcome to the forum; nothing excites the group so much as palms in an unlikely place- keep contributing. I'm impressed with your english, too- certainly better than my russian, nyet?

• Upvote 1

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Thank you and welcome to the forum; nothing excites the group so much as palms in an unlikely place- keep contributing. I'm impressed with your english, too- certainly better than my russian, nyet?

Thank you :)

Sochi, Russia

Humid Subtropical

USDA Zone 8b/9a

Hello Vlad

You opened a window to show us Sochi. I am surprised and astonished at what I saw in your city.

I never thought in Russia and in this climate could grow these palms and those beautiful gardens

I appreciate to show us these beautiful pictures

Regards

• Upvote 1

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

Trachycarpus fortunei is the most common palm in Sochi. It esimaes about 1 million such palms in the area of Big Sochi (where the human population is about 450.000) Curiously, even in the next town neighbouring Sochi from North trachycarpus fortunei is a valuable and appreciated exotic plant. :mrlooney:

In Sochi they are really omnipresent in urban area and are spreading into suburban forests.

Some of them grow even on trees.

post-6092-036917400 1318755739_thumb.jpg

This photo shows the entire oak which sheltered the trachy from previous photo. The palm could be seen exactly at the center of photo.

post-6092-076174700 1318755935_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well T. fortuinei spreading in local forests. They do that also for example in Tecino arround Locarno. Probably very similair in climate and rainfall. Trachycarpus fortunei like a lot of rain combined with qieut warm weather, arround 25 C in summer seems to be the optimum for this palm.

Alexander

• 2 weeks later...

Vlad, how do all these tropical plants resist your winter temps? Or do they re-plant some of them after the freezing temps?

• Upvote 1

Patricia

Vlad, how do all these tropical plants resist your winter temps? Or do they re-plant some of them after the freezing temps?

Well, our winter temps suit this plants well. I have to say, Sochi's climate is a boundary of comfortable palm tree growth. Re-planting is a rare thing here, though.

Sochi, Russia

Humid Subtropical

USDA Zone 8b/9a

Vladislav,

Thanks a lot for all these photos of your beautiful city and the palms there! And thanks to Sanyok as well for adding photos! (And Sanyok - welcome to PalmTalk! :) ). It's great to have you both participate here on PalmTalk!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Vlad, sorry, I was thinking in the other than palms plants, like the ones shown in post #97. Thanks.

I see :) As for them, they withstand our winters without problems.

Sochi, Russia

Humid Subtropical

USDA Zone 8b/9a

• 2 years later...

Is three years after the original post too late to say "Vladislav, welcome to Palmtalk!"?

You will be getting a lot of press pretty soon but, how many palms will we see during the winter Olympics?

Keep us posted,

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Great information. Thank you so much for posting this. I love learning new things about the world.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Welcome to Palmtalk, Vlad!

Great pictures, keep them coming.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

There was mention of the fact that palm trees grow in Sochi last night at the opening ceremony in NBC. About one second of footage. Bumping this due to: I wanted to see more.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes