IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea plumosa

elHoagie

30F (night one) - no damage

27F (night two) - no damage

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

mine looks great, though I covered it with a sheet and gave it a light. I got down to 23 degrees and it looks pretty darn good. The wind has done more damage (tattering) than has the cold.

Update: after a couple of weeks heavy leaf damage appeared on most of the leaves but the palm should survive. It's actually starting to push out a bit of a spear as the weather's been nicer (2/4/07)

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

El Hoagie:

Same numbers.

Same results, more or less.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Update:

Several established specimens, planted with trunks, no cover:

Four days of 28-29 F (-1 C), plus one more day, 31 F, no damage.

Fully exposed specimen planted young, grew very fast, from 18" to 7' in about two years (yep, that's right!), no damage, same as above.

10 big specimens under a Cedar tree, no damage, not even to the flowers.

(Pray to the Seed God!)

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,  my plant grew at the same rate except it went to 10' in two years. Fastest palm ever! After a few years of sending out non-viable seed, this year's crop was great (I think). How big are good seed of plumosa 'sposed to be? Tiny?

• 3 weeks later...

1 night : -3.8C (25F) no damage plus numerous nights at -2C last winter.  Growing well in relatively deep shade.

Coastal South Devon,  England

• 5 months later...

After all is said and done, at 23 deg for 3 nights, 2 weeks below 30:

With a blanket over the palm and a light for warmth as well the spear pulled in about march. The palm (in July) has pulled through nicely and is pushing it's 2nd complete leaf now.

On a side note, I gave one of these to my neighbor in a 5 gal. pot. Same weather only he DIDN'T protect it. The pot was frozen pretty solid. This one made it, too, though even I'm surprised. 23, total defoliation, pulled spear and it still came back. Though the Daconil we added probably helped after the spear was pulled.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

• 6 months later...

3 plants (triple), 7' OA height

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

One planted pulled spear, beheaded

All three fully recovered

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 8 months later...

Great to hear all of reports about this being hardy. I have to agree. I have 1 under partial canopy that came thru several nights below 32C and one night at 25F with only a few crispy tips and has grown well this summer.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 9 years later...

The plant described in the above 2008 report met its doom during the winter of 2010-2011 with a low temp of 14-15F combined with 48+ consecutive hours below freezing.

During the summer of 2017, I planted 3 new C. plumose seedlings in at various distances from the southeast corner of my house. This past winter we experienced an ultimate low of 17F with approximately 36 consecutive hours below freezing. Two of the three seedlings survived with extensive damage.  It appears as though the leaf mulch I applied to the seedlings prior to the arrival of the cold front protected enough of the growing point to allow for survival. Looks like I may get at least one more year to enjoy these palms. 

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.