Sign in to follow this  
elHoagie

Chamaedorea plumosa

elHoagie

30F (night one) - no damage

27F (night two) - no damage

Patrick

mine looks great, though I covered it with a sheet and gave it a light. I got down to 23 degrees and it looks pretty darn good. The wind has done more damage (tattering) than has the cold.

Update: after a couple of weeks heavy leaf damage appeared on most of the leaves but the palm should survive. It's actually starting to push out a bit of a spear as the weather's been nicer (2/4/07)

DoomsDave

El Hoagie:

Same numbers.

Same results, more or less.

dave

DoomsDave

Update:

Several established specimens, planted with trunks, no cover:

Four days of 28-29 F (-1 C), plus one more day, 31 F, no damage.

Fully exposed specimen planted young, grew very fast, from 18" to 7' in about two years (yep, that's right!), no damage, same as above.

10 big specimens under a Cedar tree, no damage, not even to the flowers.

(Pray to the Seed God!)

dave

Gonzer

Dave,  my plant grew at the same rate except it went to 10' in two years. Fastest palm ever! After a few years of sending out non-viable seed, this year's crop was great (I think). How big are good seed of plumosa 'sposed to be? Tiny?

DavePoole

1 night : -3.8C (25F) no damage plus numerous nights at -2C last winter.  Growing well in relatively deep shade.

Patrick

After all is said and done, at 23 deg for 3 nights, 2 weeks below 30:

With a blanket over the palm and a light for warmth as well the spear pulled in about march. The palm (in July) has pulled through nicely and is pushing it's 2nd complete leaf now.

On a side note, I gave one of these to my neighbor in a 5 gal. pot. Same weather only he DIDN'T protect it. The pot was frozen pretty solid. This one made it, too, though even I'm surprised. 23, total defoliation, pulled spear and it still came back. Though the Daconil we added probably helped after the spear was pulled.

STEVE IN SO CAL

3 plants (triple), 7' OA height

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

One planted pulled spear, beheaded

All three fully recovered

Austinpalm

Great to hear all of reports about this being hardy. I have to agree. I have 1 under partial canopy that came thru several nights below 32C and one night at 25F with only a few crispy tips and has grown well this summer.

Austinpalm

The plant described in the above 2008 report met its doom during the winter of 2010-2011 with a low temp of 14-15F combined with 48+ consecutive hours below freezing.

During the summer of 2017, I planted 3 new C. plumose seedlings in at various distances from the southeast corner of my house. This past winter we experienced an ultimate low of 17F with approximately 36 consecutive hours below freezing. Two of the three seedlings survived with extensive damage.  It appears as though the leaf mulch I applied to the seedlings prior to the arrival of the cold front protected enough of the growing point to allow for survival. Looks like I may get at least one more year to enjoy these palms.