IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

pandanus

The Silent Seed

I have a couple of hundred P. spiralis growing on my place.

post-4226-027081000 1334612190_thumb.jpg post-4226-076451600 1334612665_thumb.jpg

Also have 7 other species, the biggest of those are P. dubius some of which are getting very tall. Next biggest is P. basedowi, one of my favourites. Then there's P. tectorius, amarylifolius, aquaticus, a NOID, and a small very prickly variegated.

There's a native Freycinetia here which I'm after but haven't so far been able to get.

Pandanus dubious is a gorgeous Pandanus but is very cold sensitive. I grow it here but it struggles further south and everyone I know in Brisbane that has tried it has lost it in winter.

Tyrone.....a few years ago a number of Pandanus stuhlmanii came onto the market that actually ended up being Pandanus utilis, hopefully yours is the real deal. I germinated a heap of Pandanus spiralis from Mackay a few years ago.....the strike rate was impressive...much better than Pandanus tectorius.

Currently apart from Pandanus dubious I have Pandanus monetheca in the garden with the native Pandanus solms-laubachii, another un-named species from Cape York, Pandanus utilis and a little unknown dwarf all growing in pots.

I used to have Pandanus pygmaeus as a ground cover down in my Bundy garden.....don't have it anymore but want to obtain it again...do you have any growing Miquel??

Maybe mine are P utilis then. P utilis goes nuts down here. My "stuhlmanii"s" came from Rosebud farm and were really red when I first got them. As they get older they begin to look more like P utilis with a red edge to the leaflet. Is that stuhlmanii or utilis do you think?

I didn't know that P spiralis grew right around to Mackay. I've never germinated Pandanus before. Do P spiralis put out multiple plants per key or only one. My seeds I collected from around a roundabout in Broome and the seed had lost a lot of their colour. I soaked them for about a week then sowed them in my germination aquarium under a light where they'd get to 30C. I've heard that Pandanus seed can float out at sea for weeks and still be viable. Any ideas how long for these to germinate assuming they are viable.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, the Pandanus stuhlmani's that I had came from Rich (probably from the same batch as yours) and I questioned him about them in regards to being similar to P.utilis. He conceded that when he thought that they could have been utilis. He said that he received the seed in good faith from someone overseas.

Pandanus spiralis grows almost as far south as Rockhampton, I am not sure how long they stay viable but they germinate quickly and you will get many plants from each segment. I intend to get some more seed from Mackay when I am up there in just over a weeks time. I have been meaning to get up there earlier and get some more as it isn't that far away just over a 4 1/2 hour drive.

The spiral pandanus grows well in the eastern half of Sydney. I was surprised when I came across some growing in a front garden. I presume they are slow growing though.

Pandanus dubious is a gorgeous Pandanus but is very cold sensitive. I grow it here but it struggles further south and everyone I know in Brisbane that has tried it has lost it in winter.

Tyrone.....a few years ago a number of Pandanus stuhlmanii came onto the market that actually ended up being Pandanus utilis, hopefully yours is the real deal. I germinated a heap of Pandanus spiralis from Mackay a few years ago.....the strike rate was impressive...much better than Pandanus tectorius.

Currently apart from Pandanus dubious I have Pandanus monetheca in the garden with the native Pandanus solms-laubachii, another un-named species from Cape York, Pandanus utilis and a little unknown dwarf all growing in pots.

I used to have Pandanus pygmaeus as a ground cover down in my Bundy garden.....don't have it anymore but want to obtain it again...do you have any growing Miquel??

Maybe mine are P utilis then. P utilis goes nuts down here. My "stuhlmanii"s" came from Rosebud farm and were really red when I first got them. As they get older they begin to look more like P utilis with a red edge to the leaflet. Is that stuhlmanii or utilis do you think?

I didn't know that P spiralis grew right around to Mackay. I've never germinated Pandanus before. Do P spiralis put out multiple plants per key or only one. My seeds I collected from around a roundabout in Broome and the seed had lost a lot of their colour. I soaked them for about a week then sowed them in my germination aquarium under a light where they'd get to 30C. I've heard that Pandanus seed can float out at sea for weeks and still be viable. Any ideas how long for these to germinate assuming they are viable.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, the Pandanus stuhlmani's that I had came from Rich (probably from the same batch as yours) and I questioned him about them in regards to being similar to P.utilis. He conceded that when he thought that they could have been utilis. He said that he received the seed in good faith from someone overseas.

Pandanus spiralis grows almost as far south as Rockhampton, I am not sure how long they stay viable but they germinate quickly and you will get many plants from each segment. I intend to get some more seed from Mackay when I am up there in just over a weeks time. I have been meaning to get up there earlier and get some more as it isn't that far away just over a 4 1/2 hour drive.

The spiral pandanus grows well in the eastern half of Sydney. I was surprised when I came across some growing in a front garden. I presume they are slow growing though.

Laisla, the ones growing in Sydney that you have seen are most likely to be Pandanus tectorius which does occur naturally down into northern NSW......it can easily be confused with Pandanus spiralis as it also quite often develops the classic spiral but this often dissapears with age.....South of the tropics Pandanus spiralis is not commonly cultivated (although it will grow well in the subtropics). Not sure how Pandanus spiralis will go down your way but it should possibly grow in the warmer coastal suburbs of Sydney if protected.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Pandanus spiralis is restricted to WA, NT and far western inland QLD, the species at Mackay is Pandanus cookii or brookei which also share the spiral stem and have few prop roots. There is a slight difference between the subcoastal QLD species and the Top End one. There is a gap in their distribution with Pandanus cookii extending west until Pandanus dammannii occurs out near Chillago and to at least Charters Towers and Torrens Creek and other Cape River-Burdekin River districts. dammannii also can be found closer to the coast just west of Mareeba. It is a prolific suckering plant.

I have seen one population very like spiralis up on Cape York.

I have over 40 different Pandanus and only dubius is difficult due to cold sensitivity.

Regards Kris

Has anyone grown Pandanus fosteri, from Lord Howe Island? How have people fared with Pandanus furcatus, from the Himalayan foothills?

Pandanus can be excellent houseplants, too.

• Upvote 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Large Pandan seedling , a gift from a mate who did not keep very good records :unsure:

post-354-031226700 1335098692_thumb.jpg

another view a few meters back , papaya is 2m tall to fruit .

post-354-065715800 1335098806_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Pandanus spiralis is restricted to WA, NT and far western inland QLD, the species at Mackay is Pandanus cookii or brookei which also share the spiral stem and have few prop roots. There is a slight difference between the subcoastal QLD species and the Top End one. There is a gap in their distribution with Pandanus cookii extending west until Pandanus dammannii occurs out near Chillago and to at least Charters Towers and Torrens Creek and other Cape River-Burdekin River districts. dammannii also can be found closer to the coast just west of Mareeba. It is a prolific suckering plant.

I have over 40 different Pandanus and only dubius is difficult due to cold sensitivity.

Regards Kris

Thanks for the info Kris.......so what you are saying is that the near coastal Pandanus that grows down to almost the Tropic of Capricorn is not P. spiralis but cookii ??.......There really needs to be a heap of work done on this genus.....Just a pity that Robert Tucker took so much knowledge to the grave..... Still a lack of information on native Pandanus....and some of the overseas species seem to be worse!............Pandanus dubius grows ok for me here and I have a reasonable sized one in my garden. I couldn't however grow it 2 hours down the coast in Bundaberg.....I have a heap of Pandanus here in pots but have no idea as to where I am going to plant them.....going to have to find space for them along with my some of my other prickly friends.......The Calamus....

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

• 2 weeks later...

Regards Kris

Hi Kris,

You seem to know your stuff. Any idea what this sp is growing in the Melbourne Botanic Gardens? Just tectorius? It was quite a surprise to see one growing there.

Cheers, Alan.

post-3088-094230000 1336373495_thumb.jpg

Growing palms in the warm temperate zone at 35°S latitude. Not much frost (or heat either), but plenty of wind and rain. Ave temp about 15.5°C (60°F), Rainfall about 1400mm (55 inches).

Regards Kris

Hi Kris,

You seem to know your stuff. Any idea what this sp is growing in the Melbourne Botanic Gardens? Just tectorius? It was quite a surprise to see one growing there.

Cheers, Alan.

From the photo it looks to be Pandanus tectorius, which considering how far it occurs naturally (down to Port Macquarie) it should have a reasonable amount of tolerance to cold. Pandanus furcatus has quite a high tolerance for cold too.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

I have this spiky variegated pandanus...don't know what species...slow grower

post-42-060993500 1336553870_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Looks like Pandanus veitchii, but it is usually quite fast and forms thickets.......the variegation can be quite variable. There is a large thicket growing down in the Canoe Point reserve here.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Here is a native Australian Pandanus that was sold to me with no ID about 8 years ago.

Does anyone have any idea?

It's getting massive roots, and has larger than average spines. Also, each leaf has a twist to it.

post-6760-063011100 1336710589_thumb.jpg

www.sheoakridge.com
Our private nature reserve in Far North Queensland, Australia.
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

This is my main collection of Native Australian Pandanus in a natural setting. I've just put in a second pond so I can expand it as I get more.

The plant in question is at the back, and second from the left, so you can see it's quite small compared to the next one along which is the same age.

post-6760-011628600 1336711286_thumb.jpg

www.sheoakridge.com
Our private nature reserve in Far North Queensland, Australia.
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

Here is a native Australian Pandanus that was sold to me with no ID about 8 years ago.

Does anyone have any idea?

It's getting massive roots, and has larger than average spines. Also, each leaf has a twist to it.

WOW! Look at those roots!

Welcome to Palmtalk Marcus!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Looks like Pandanus veitchii, but it is usually quite fast and forms thickets.......the variegation can be quite variable. There is a large thicket growing down in the Canoe Point reserve here.

Hi Andrew, thanks for that. I like the look of P.veitchii...hope this one changes it's variegation ...

Daryl

• 2 months later...

Yes spiralis doesnt occur in eastern QLD.

I have furcatus fruiting after 8 years and forsteri however hard to grow is doing well, though have lost them in excessive winter heat.

The one in Melbourne looks like tectorius subsp.australiense and Marcus yours looks like tectorius tectorius.

• 3 years later...

I'll try and get some photos, I live on the beaches of Sydney. I wouldn't say the Pandamus is everywhere but there are a few dozen that I have see. Around growing well. Generally better when protected from the southerlies we get. 

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love Pandanus. The only species I grow is P. dubius. I collected a segment of the fruit whilst in Kalimantan and in two and a half years it grew into two small but attractive pot plants with wide, glossy leaves and a few aerial roots. Im guessing they're completely separate plants. Seems to grow best in shade, even here in the weak British sun, otherwise it turns a sickly yellow. I did root a P. amaryllifolius rooted sucker which grew well, but I moved it into my lit tropical propagator over winter to give it a boost and it just collapsed. Strange! They seem to be really susceptible to rot when small.

DEE665D6-15DE-44BA-8DA7-76ABD50B5E56.JPG