IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

pandanus

The Silent Seed

I'm growing my collection of Pandanus species, and am wondering who else grows them. I'm also interested in hearing if there are any sources outside of Ebay for the more rare species?

How are you growing yours?

Mine are obviously in pots, kept indoors, and they grow extremely fast. They are in regular dirt, and are watered once a week, with occasional missed weeks.

I have one very large (for a pot) variegated plant that has multiple pups - sharp leaves - but not trunking, but rather "bunching" - is there a way to positively ID this one? I can post a picture if it helps, but they all look the same to me (the variegated ones.)

This is a Variegated next to a regular that is close. There is another Variegated that I am trying to remember where that is more impressive.

P1020970.jpg

What you look for is what is looking

I'm growing my collection of Pandanus species, and am wondering who else grows them. I'm also interested in hearing if there are any sources outside of Ebay for the more rare species?

How are you growing yours?

Mine are obviously in pots, kept indoors, and they grow extremely fast. They are in regular dirt, and are watered once a week, with occasional missed weeks.

I have one very large (for a pot) variegated plant that has multiple pups - sharp leaves - but not trunking, but rather "bunching" - is there a way to positively ID this one? I can post a picture if it helps, but they all look the same to me (the variegated ones.)

Your little sharp leafed variegated Pandanus from your description sounds like Pandanus veitchii. The Large variegated Pandanus in the photo is Pandanus sanderi.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Wow - didn't know sanderi was one of the big ones - or at least, with a noticeable trunk that is. I have a green one coming next week.

What are some good ways to differentiate between the different variegated species?

Pandanus sanderi (like the one pictured) is a spineless variety. Sometimes seems to be sold as Pandanus baptistii (which is supposed to be smaller) but every one seems to grow the same as P. sanderi.

P. veitchii is a prickly little buggar and as you mentioned it seems to be 'bunching'. This plant forms large almost impenetrable thickets when grown outside and needs to be cleaned up of excess growth quite often to open it up. It is also highly variable with some plants being strongly variegated whilst others are not so variegated. Quite often the variegation is very unstable too.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

I have a plant of the prickly variegated one and also the smooth .

post-354-084351800 1315105375_thumb.jpg

Smooth one gets enormous , seen it in Cairns with many meters of stilt roots. Both need thinning out hard to get up high or they just spread :angry:

post-354-064039900 1315105462_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I'm getting into these Pandanus now. I have what I bought as Pandanus stuhlmanii doing well, and some potted Pandanus sanderi. Also am trying to germinate some Pandanus spiralis from the Kimberley.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Pandanus dubius is the only species I'm growing. It has a very wide leaf and clumps and branches heavily unless removed. One plant I let clump and the other one I removed all side growth as soon as it began to form at each leaf base, making it appears as a single trunk plant (see pics below).

post-90-053987800 1315374968_thumb.jpg

post-90-013470100 1315375014_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Pandanus dubious is a gorgeous Pandanus but is very cold sensitive. I grow it here but it struggles further south and everyone I know in Brisbane that has tried it has lost it in winter.

Tyrone.....a few years ago a number of Pandanus stuhlmanii came onto the market that actually ended up being Pandanus utilis, hopefully yours is the real deal. I germinated a heap of Pandanus spiralis from Mackay a few years ago.....the strike rate was impressive...much better than Pandanus tectorius.

Currently apart from Pandanus dubious I have Pandanus monetheca in the garden with the native Pandanus solms-laubachii, another un-named species from Cape York, Pandanus utilis and a little unknown dwarf all growing in pots.

I used to have Pandanus pygmaeus as a ground cover down in my Bundy garden.....don't have it anymore but want to obtain it again...do you have any growing Miquel??

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Pandanus dubious is a gorgeous Pandanus but is very cold sensitive. I grow it here but it struggles further south and everyone I know in Brisbane that has tried it has lost it in winter.

Tyrone.....a few years ago a number of Pandanus stuhlmanii came onto the market that actually ended up being Pandanus utilis, hopefully yours is the real deal. I germinated a heap of Pandanus spiralis from Mackay a few years ago.....the strike rate was impressive...much better than Pandanus tectorius.

Currently apart from Pandanus dubious I have Pandanus monetheca in the garden with the native Pandanus solms-laubachii, another un-named species from Cape York, Pandanus utilis and a little unknown dwarf all growing in pots.

I used to have Pandanus pygmaeus as a ground cover down in my Bundy garden.....don't have it anymore but want to obtain it again...do you have any growing Miquel??

Maybe mine are P utilis then. P utilis goes nuts down here. My "stuhlmanii"s" came from Rosebud farm and were really red when I first got them. As they get older they begin to look more like P utilis with a red edge to the leaflet. Is that stuhlmanii or utilis do you think?

I didn't know that P spiralis grew right around to Mackay. I've never germinated Pandanus before. Do P spiralis put out multiple plants per key or only one. My seeds I collected from around a roundabout in Broome and the seed had lost a lot of their colour. I soaked them for about a week then sowed them in my germination aquarium under a light where they'd get to 30C. I've heard that Pandanus seed can float out at sea for weeks and still be viable. Any ideas how long for these to germinate assuming they are viable.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here's the P spiralis I collected seed from.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-088098600 1315406169_thumb.jpg

post-63-080456900 1315406205_thumb.jpg

Wow, I'm loving these pictures - thanks! I tried some seeds from freshly harvested fruit of a Pandanus sp from Florida - none grew - have been leery of the ones on Ebay - do you think they are difficult? There are also a bunch on rarepalmseeds that are no longer "new" - are those worth a try, too?

I'll try to get some pics of mine as well!

I have some utilis and tectorius from Floribunda Palms - the utilis never had red - but the tectorius have very reddish leaves. (Or do I have them backwards? Or rather, were they tagged backwards?)

Thanks, Jude

Maybe mine are P utilis then. P utilis goes nuts down here. My "stuhlmanii"s" came from Rosebud farm and were really red when I first got them. As they get older they begin to look more like P utilis with a red edge to the leaflet. Is that stuhlmanii or utilis do you think?

I didn't know that P spiralis grew right around to Mackay. I've never germinated Pandanus before. Do P spiralis put out multiple plants per key or only one. My seeds I collected from around a roundabout in Broome and the seed had lost a lot of their colour. I soaked them for about a week then sowed them in my germination aquarium under a light where they'd get to 30C. I've heard that Pandanus seed can float out at sea for weeks and still be viable. Any ideas how long for these to germinate assuming they are viable.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, the Pandanus stuhlmani's that I had came from Rich (probably from the same batch as yours) and I questioned him about them in regards to being similar to P.utilis. He conceded that when he thought that they could have been utilis. He said that he received the seed in good faith from someone overseas.

Pandanus spiralis grows almost as far south as Rockhampton, I am not sure how long they stay viable but they germinate quickly and you will get many plants from each segment. I intend to get some more seed from Mackay when I am up there in just over a weeks time. I have been meaning to get up there earlier and get some more as it isn't that far away just over a 4 1/2 hour drive.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Peter, I have 2 monethecas growing in the garden but both are only a couple of years old, one of them is a bit different in having a pinkish colour to the new foliage.......I will try to post some photos once I sort out some issues with my damned computer !!

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Hi,

I just ordered a monotheca (from one of our own!), a sanderii (also from one of us!) , and also have a variegated "hale" (veitchii, I presume), and I believe also an amaryllifolius. Can't wait to see what they look like when I open the box!

Will post pictures as well!

Hi,

I just ordered a monotheca (from one of our own!), a sanderii (also from one of us!) , and also have a variegated "hale" (veitchii, I presume), and I believe also an amaryllifolius. Can't wait to see what they look like when I open the box!

Will post pictures as well!

Well they will keep you busy......monetheca is very fast growing with very long leaves.....will take up a lot of room in your garage over winter !!!

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

I have been growing pandanus for a very long time. I grew them in S. Cal when I lived there many years ago. Some of the pandanus I planted there are still thriving.

I am very impressed that there are many species still uncultivated, or undiscovered in places like Borneo, Papua New Guinea, yet so few growers collect these beautiful plants. Some are tiny and dwarf, many are huge. There are even somewhat hardy pandanus growing in cooler climates.

Besides the Hawaiian natives, I have 6 other interesting pandanus.

I would love to get some of the pandanus offered by rarepalmseeds.

It is very nice to see that there are other interested in pandanus. How about freycinettia(sp), asplundia, and cyclanthus? Any one out there?

Don

Donald Sanders

Freycinetia are an unappreciated spp. A few endemic around here .

Most amazing is the large F. marginata its got that Addams family thing going imho :rolleyes:post-354-015432600 1315561229_thumb.jpg

Over a few years I got some great pics of one as it climbed several meters up a tree . post-354-081912800 1315561403_thumb.jpg

Slowly ..it fruited but had not been pollinated .

post-354-055057700 1315561517_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussiearoids

Thanks for the heads - up on giving the monotheca plenty of room - Sounds exciting! Maybe I can even hang smaller plants onto the straps ! Just kidding :) My biggest headache (Space-wise) is my 15 or 20 gallon Zamia polymorpha that I have to actually cut back to the pot each winter -The pot is now split... it's a fun plant though!

Obviously won't be cutting back the Pandanus!

I had a Freycineta once - they are offered at a local store from time to time - I let it dry out and lost it - but would like to start getting into these other genera :) Thank you (??) for the reminder!!! :)

If I could possibly buy some of those spiralis seeds while you get yours, I'd love to add some. That thing is nuts!

I agree about these being under appreciated, which is why I've been posting about them here - they are just so funky ! I noticed last week that my utilis, at just 1 1/2 feet, are starting to spiral. I love it!

Thanks Andrew. I'm growing monotheca here in Socal; it grew very well in a greenhouse; I planted it out last year and it's done not bad. It took our bad winter fairly well, although did suffer a bit of damage. It's grown somewhat this summer, but I probably haven't watered it as much as it would like. Seems to love as much water as you can throw at it.

San Fernando Valley, California

Freycinetia are an unappreciated spp. A few endemic around here .

Most amazing is the large F. marginata its got that Addams family thing going imho :rolleyes:post-354-015432600 1315561229_thumb.jpg

Over a few years I got some great pics of one as it climbed several meters up a tree . post-354-081912800 1315561403_thumb.jpg

Slowly ..it fruited but had not been pollinated .

post-354-055057700 1315561517_thumb.jpg

Freycinetia is what I want to get in to. Ever since I saw them growing around Eungella I'm keen to try this one day. I doubt anyone has them growing in WA.

Best regards

Tyrone

I has two species of Freycinetia growing but both died in our prolonged drought in the early 00's.

Here are a couple of photos of my Pandanus gemmifer, showing the weird habit of producing offshoots...

post-42-052568700 1315692051_thumb.jpg

post-42-021969100 1315692046_thumb.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I love Panadus. I had the variegated one in Cairns - it was a monster, but haven't tried it down here yet. I actually thought Pandanus were too cold sensitive but turns out they aren't; alot of them have their natural range from mid-northern NSW onwards.

Coincidentally, I found this photo which shows a Pandanus thriving in a Sydney garden (have to scroll down:)

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/real-estate-news/dont-let-your-home-make-you-sick-20110909-1k0ew.html

The nurseries here sell a spiky pandanus with red edging on the leaves. It is very common in the nurseries.

A commonly sold pandan these days is the variegated form of P.baptistii as it has no teeth and has good variegated colour. It might do OK in Sydney as it seems pretty tough.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Just cleaned up this messy scrambling pandanus... Not quite sure what it is... I wouldve removed it all together but scott was giving it another chance.... Hhhhmm

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Just cleaned up this messy scrambling pandanus... Not quite sure what it is... I wouldve removed it all together but scott was giving it another chance.... Hhhhmm

How is that Pandanus monetheca I sent you ages ago going.......should be getting some size by now???

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

I love Panadus. I had the variegated one in Cairns - it was a monster, but haven't tried it down here yet. I actually thought Pandanus were too cold sensitive but turns out they aren't; alot of them have their natural range from mid-northern NSW onwards.

Coincidentally, I found this photo which shows a Pandanus thriving in a Sydney garden (have to scroll down:)

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/real-estate-news/dont-let-your-home-make-you-sick-20110909-1k0ew.html

The nurseries here sell a spiky pandanus with red edging on the leaves. It is very common in the nurseries.

Pandanus tectorius is the Pandanus that you are thinking about with a natural range down to around Port Macquarie......it is the only Australian Pandanus that occurs that far south.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

A commonly sold pandan these days is the variegated form of P.baptistii as it has no teeth and has good variegated colour. It might do OK in Sydney as it seems pretty tough.

Daryl

Is that synonomous with P sanderi? I have two pots of P sanderi that have gone through winter without a hitch. Looking forward to planting them somewhere. "Somewhere", where ever that is.

Best regards

Tyrone

How is that Pandanus monetheca I sent you ages ago going.......should be getting some size by now???

Oh, I forgot about that one... Have to plant it yhis wet season. Thanks for reminding me

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Daryl

Is that synonomous with P sanderi? I have two pots of P sanderi that have gone through winter without a hitch. Looking forward to planting them somewhere. "Somewhere", where ever that is.

Best regards

Tyrone

I think you might be right there Tyrone, P. baptistii was promoted as a smaller growing Pandanus but the ones I planted in my Bundaberg garden just grew to be P. sanderi.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Ran into another Variegated. I know there is another better one around here somewhere and I am still looking:

P1020640.jpg

What you look for is what is looking

Ran into another Variegated. I know there is another better one around here somewhere and I am still looking:

P1020640.jpg

Another fine example of Pandanus sanderi.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

I'm looking to buy or trade for the native upland (mauka) ie'ie aka Freycenetia and Pandanus baptistii. I was able to locate a P. pumila from Florida. BBruning@hotmail.com

Brian Bruning

• 6 months later...

Here's one I picked up for my brother in law who lives in Wynnum, and along with 3 others we got it off the ute into a big hole dug in readiness. She's a beaut Pandanus tectorius.

Note: The name Pandanus is a direct derivative of Wynnum which comes from the Aboriginal word "Winnam" meaning place of the Pandanus Tree.

post-51-080757300 1334581153_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Saw a lot of fruiting Pandanus monticola on a recent trip around a mates 200 acre 'Fruit Forest Farm'

Small and supposedly edible fruits , from a small clumping plant .

Will have to get a pic of the massive sp. growing down near the bananas , trimmed off a few leaves to make room for the ride-on . They must have been 4m easily :drool:

post-354-087171900 1334584296_thumb.jpg