IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring is here, Summer on the way.

peachy

And the rain keeps falling. More on the way with some nice rumblings around the place.

post-0-035196700 1320299747_thumb.jpg

post-0-042568500 1320299785_thumb.jpg

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Had 15mm of rain this month. 14mm fell yesterday officially, but it bucketed down. My driveway was flooded and the back of my ute canopy was a swimming pool this morning. Palms are going nuts now.

Albany had 65mm in 10 minutes.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Send some this way Tyrone.......we are being teased with promising clouds every day but still nothing.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Expecting 20-40mm today. The average for all of Nov is 22mm. Could have had up to 80mm plus by this time next week.!!!!

You are hogging the rain, Ty.... We are still waiting here.... while the heat is becoming unbearable!!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, did you get any of that rain yesterday? I thought it was coming directly towards me (according to the radar) but then it stopped dead well short of here. No rain for November so far. 66mm for October but 40mm of that came in a half hour.

Noonamah AWS has recorded a lot of 39's since September but I tend to be about half a degree lower. Today only 36.5C so far, heat index 46C.

There's a patch forming this side of Jabiru but probably will end up too far north. One formed near Elsharana might get here by tonight. Those have a habit of blowing themselves up real big crossing the lowlands. Maybe we'll be lucky and both might join up for a double dose. Certainly overdue for some sort of rain.

By the way, when I got back from your place the yellow cashews were still in my esky. :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha.... Zig. Next time. BTW, I posted a picture of the Amorphophallus on facebook, but everyone doesn't believe me that that particular one doesn't smell. I guess I am going to ask Scott to have a smell :).

We didn't get rain yesterday... We were in the middle bit between the 2 cells. If happens a lot lately :rolleyes: . Never mind.... and koolpinyah happened today... probably destroying my chance to get anything from this one at the moment.... 67.5mm for October.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, those storms did link up but were heading direct west, just below my place. Last minute they swung north west and just clipped me giving me 1.2mm. What I didn't see coming was the Gulf Line, although it was about 3:30am when it came through. Woke me up, the thunder was shaking the house. Had to unplug all the electricals, it's a pain getting things fried and having to replace them. Ended up getting 26.4mm out of the Gulfie. The plants will love it after the heat, dust and bore water.

Can't imagine it could have been the growing conditions that stopped that Amorph stinking. The other larger variety did stink in the same conditions. You'll soon see. I can give you plenty of seeds of the yellow cashew if you want.

We only got 23mm, Zig. I kept on asking Scott to move the rain gauge as the palms are shielding it from 2 sides now (the sides where the rain comes), but he just ignored my plea.

We shall see about the Amorphophallus... I will get Scott to smell it once it opens... ha ha ha.

Rgeards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

30 again today but with sunlight for a change. Still no rain, so the watering regimen is back in full swing. Went to pick up my new palm from PfB today, as usual a certain someone sold me a few other pretties to carry home that I had no intention of buying. The humidity is very high and bloody uncomfortable so even when the temperature drops at night, its still warm and sticky feeling. So far no cracks in the ground but unless it rains soon they will be back to plague me.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Have had 35mm of rain so far for Nov, which I think is a bit conservative. Officially that's getting not far off double the average for Nov. I say that's a bit conservative because I have the weather up on the computer all the time, and we'd get a really heavy shower that would flood the driveway and fill up the back of my ute cover and gets the gutters flowing and then the official reading would be 0.3mm or something. No way 0.3mm would do that. The thunderstorm cells tend to create patchy coverage, heavy in one area missing other areas unlike normal frontal activity which is much more uniform. The last couple of days has been blowing a gale from the north with showers. Glad that has finished. It seems to have been raining forever here. Today looks like the first real sort of clear blue sky Nov day, but you never know it could start raining again.

Best regards

Tyrone

get a rain gauge, Tyrone. Then you know how much you get.... Just make sure you don't put it under canopy.....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

33 today, more humid than a steam bath and still no sign of rain. Tonight its not so hot but the humidity is killing. It's like the top end in the build up period. Unbearable. Time to go back and live in Melbourne I think.

Peachy

27.35 south.

After such a long cool winter and spring, we have finally got to summer! Woohoo!

Daryl

Forecast for Monday

Fine. Light to moderate NW to NE winds, fresh at times about bayside suburbs.

Precis:Fine.City:Min 21Max 30Bayside:Min 20Max 28UV Alert from 7:40 am to 3:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 11 [Extreme]

TuesdayFine.Min 21Max 31WednesdayFine.Min 21Max 30ThursdayFine.Min 20Max 29FridayFine.Min 20Max 29SaturdayFine.Min 20Max 30SundayFine.Min 20Max 31

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wet season is upon us... the storm is getting more frequent and the rain has set in almost every day. Getting harder and harder to get things done around the house... but WHO CARES??? Let the planting begin!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

A very welcomed afternoon storm yday arvo delivered us a beautiful 61mm of rain,there was plenty of lightning around releasing nitrogen, so the gardens are singing. :winkie:

Still no rain here on the central Queensland Coast.......plenty of warm sunshine and humidity but some nice rain would be good.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Still no rain here on the central Queensland Coast.......plenty of warm sunshine and humidity but some nice rain would be good.

Heard it was raining Coca Cola in Bundy, near half a ton.. :drool:

Heard it was raining Coca Cola in Bundy, near half a ton.. :drool:

Yes indeed it was, the coppers down there netted a good haul.....will leave a big hole in the southern drug trade till some other grubs fill it!!

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Wet season is upon us... the storm is getting more frequent and the rain has set in almost every day. Getting harder and harder to get things done around the house... but WHO CARES??? Let the planting begin!!!

Plant and keep on planting Ari, looks like great falls of rain late in the week for you. Nothing better than getting a heap of planting done then day after day of thunderstorms following.

35 yesterday and a filthy 38 today, humid as hades and my bloody a.c isnt working. Normally one day of this heat sets off storms and rain but theres been a week or more of this horrible weather and not a drop in sight. Had to buy some fans yesterday for the poor little poochies, they are used to a.c. and this foul heat is very hard on them. Giving up on buying seedlings too...they either die from the cold wind for frizzle in the heat. The timing just never seems to be right. (bastards)

Peachy

27.35 south.

38deg?? Geez... hotter than Darwin at the moment.... What's wrong with the ac?

only a few mm today, but everything is still nice and damp. I just love the wet season :) :). Now, if only I don't have to work....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Been kind of coolish here lately. 23, 24C but normal at night for Nov. Next week is meant to be in the 30's.

It rained yesterday. The wind was gusty and all over the place and it was beginning to do my head in. Was trying to landscape with some plants that were a bit fragile, so the wind was getting me anxious as I was worried it was going to snap leaves etc. Nice and calm this morning after the rain. Up to 35C max next week and mins in the high teens to low twenties. Summer. :)

With no rain at all this month, November has been the driest on record since 1852 !!! Add in the 30+ temps and its been a miserable combination. I am running the sprinkler day and night, plus hand watering and just keeping things alive. No point even trying to plant stuff at the moment, although I did tie a few broms and orchids to trees today,. Everything planted while it was raining last month has kicked on well, so if this horrible dry spell hurries up and finished, I might even get the pot numbers back to a manageable level.

Peachy

27.35 south.

With no rain at all this month, November has been the driest on record since 1852 !!! Add in the 30+ temps and its been a miserable combination. I am running the sprinkler day and night, plus hand watering and just keeping things alive. No point even trying to plant stuff at the moment, although I did tie a few broms and orchids to trees today,. Everything planted while it was raining last month has kicked on well, so if this horrible dry spell hurries up and finished, I might even get the pot numbers back to a manageable level.

Peachy

Hang in there Peachy, some very decent falls for SE Qld and Nth NSW from Wed on, weve only had 66mm for Nov which is certainly better than nil, but looking fwd to Wednesday. Pete

Peachy

Hang in there Peachy, some very decent falls for SE Qld and Nth NSW from Wed on, weve only had 66mm for Nov which is certainly better than nil, but looking fwd to Wednesday. Pete

Its Wednesday tomorrow, hope everyones rain gauges are upright and ready for overflowing. Waterfalls on the stunning Uluru again after the desert received 100 mm today...250mm plus forecast for much of Nth NSW and SE Qld over next 3 days. 1754mm to date here this year, a little more than Ballina has had, and a bit less than Yamba to the South which is near 2000mm so far. July was our driest month with 16mm and January our wettest 357mm... So hopefully by Friday we have reached our 2mtr average. :)

At my place rainfall has already gone over the 2000mm mark for this year. That's with 4 months of zero rain and one month with 0.4mm. And highest was February with 781.4mm.

December average is 345mm and with a week of November to go, total to end of year could end up a lot higher. Closer to the coast they get about 20 to 25% more rain.

At my place rainfall has already gone over the 2000mm mark for this year. That's with 4 months of zero rain and one month with 0.4mm. And highest was February with 781.4mm.

December average is 345mm and with a week of November to go, total to end of year could end up a lot higher. Closer to the coast they get about 20 to 25% more rain.

Darwin and Cairns alike as well with those figures, then both extremly dry for months, but that is the norm for the North eh, i very much enjoy our not very extreme weather patters in the Nth NSW area. All the best with your coming Wet Season, hope it delivers all your wishes. Pete

Yeah... but you live in the storm country there!! I actually haven't done the sum for the year. There is still a month and a bit to go yet. BTW, I am used to quoting rain from Sept to August.... not from Jan to Dec.

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Mowed and brushcut all day today, now beautiful rain coming down. With a deepening trough here in the Northern Rivers we are set for Fantastic falls over the next 3 or 4 days.

About 10 minutes of heavy rain early this evening, then another 10 minutes worth about an hour ago. Enough to settle the dust but that's about it. Still waiting for promised heavy falls, although according the local forecast, probably only 10mm a day. Better than nothing I suppose but not enough to make any real difference. Guess that time will tell.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Darwin and Cairns alike as well with those figures, then both extremly dry for months, but that is the norm for the North eh, i very much enjoy our not very extreme weather patters in the Nth NSW area. All the best with your coming Wet Season, hope it delivers all your wishes. Pete

Cairns doesn't get as hot as here, and also dry seasin in Cairns is when you get less rain, not no rain.

Yeah... but you live in the storm country there!! I actually haven't done the sum for the year. There is still a month and a bit to go yet. BTW, I am used to quoting rain from Sept to August.... not from Jan to Dec.

I get the storms but not the rain from them. Acacia and Berry Springs get the rain, I get the lightning shows. My rain data spreadsheet I set up from September to August, but my weather station's program does January to December, and from midnight to midnight. I can get an instant figure from the weather station any time (when I'm home, of course).

Zig,

Where are you in relation to Noonamah dot on the radar? You definitely get more rain than me most of the time. Scott bought a place in a rain shadow!!!! Last night was SO FRUSTRATING...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

62mm here over night, still constant now, predicting heavy falls today, the radar is certainly looking that way, i must go and lime my Dioon's today in this rain, they love it. :)

Yay! 64mm overnight..finally! I'm sure all of the palms really appreciated it. Hopefully we will get another 50mm or so and then all will be good!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

37C today and low humidity with gusty NE's. Now it's dead calm low twenties and around 80% RH. I love it when the cooler humid air moves in over the land at night. I doubt we'll see rain for weeks now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Love the rain.... almost every day now.... I can actually watch the weeds/grass growing.... :angry:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

108mm past 2 days, i see just west of Tully has had near a foot of rain in the past 22 hours. The rains are a fantastic welcome to the approaching summer ahead. :)

I'm creating my own rain here. A humid day yesterday. Reminded me of QLD. The garden had a real earthiness smell to it. I find you can smell the plants and flowers so much more in humid air than dry air. Frangipani's are one plant that springs to mind. Mine are just in budding stage now.

Tyrone