IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring is here, Summer on the way.

peachy

18C min overnight and dewpoints around 17C. Gave the garden a good soaking overnight. You can tell it's warming up from the smell of fermenting Syagrus seed in the garden.

Tyrone

Certainly a warm one in the west yday Tyrone, light rain here today, 110mm last 5 days which is heaven after a very dry september, gardens are crankn.

At long last , the first decent bit of rain for 45 days , oopps I may have spoken to early its petering out already :angry:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Some nice rain this morning. Back up to 30C by Friday with the odd shower around too. Not bad for October. The coconut is going ballistic. :D

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It feels like the rainy season is setting in. The days have been cooler with more rain. Yesterday I do not think the temperature got above 30 C at any time. And, overnight there was a nice rain.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

107mm of rain in the last few days, fairly cool conditions but today is actually showing glimpses of blue sky. Tyrone dunno what your coconut is on but mine must need some. However my hedyscepe and hyo indicas are going feral so I cant really whine.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Chatting to Mark Daish and Bill Beattie in Far Nth Qld today and they had falls of 10 and 12 inches and its still raining, how did you go Michael?( Aussiearoids) Cool and damp here today, got a few more palms inground.

Second storm in 2 days... Wet season is finally here (touch wood)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

very good rainfalls here in Tully , ground is well and truly wet :D

very good rainfalls here in Tully , ground is well and truly wet :D

Michael you must be enjoying the early start to the wet up there after a dry spell, i see Cairns has had 15inches over the last few days and South Johnstone has just passed 4 meters of rain so far this year,there well on the way to 5 or 6 meters like last year, not a bad drop thats for sure, keep loading that fert on.

Had a sunny 30C yesterday and didn't quite believe the thunderstorms prediction for today. Anyway I wake up this morning to 21C after a min of just over 15C, the cloud is everywhere and the thunder has just started rolling like someone has just moved a giant empty wheelie bin on concrete for about 15 seconds. Looking at the synoptics there is virtually no isobars over Australia in the next few days. All low pressure over the continent with the high pressure systems squeezed right down into the Bight. If this is the pattern for our summer it will be very interesting, especially in regards to cyclones. The absence of high pressure zones and cyclones means what exactly????

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

26.5 a little bit of sun for the first time in weeks and all is right with the world.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Was a gorgeous day here yesterday and today is shaping up to be even better.........had a busload of gardeners from down south come and have a look at my garden (and other gardens) yesterday. Was quite hot and humid but we had a lovely cooling sea breeze coming in off the the Coral Sea. Great conditions for tropical garden viewing :D

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Got rain coming in from the north from the Tropical Indian Ocean tonight and tomorrow. Not bad weather actually. The cold has long gone and it's just been mild and humid and at times even wet. Spears opening up everywhere. Up to consistent high twenties by the end of the week. The teen max's are long gone now.

Tyrone

Was a gorgeous day here yesterday and today is shaping up to be even better.........had a busload of gardeners from down south come and have a look at my garden (and other gardens) yesterday. Was quite hot and humid but we had a lovely cooling sea breeze coming in off the the Coral Sea. Great conditions for tropical garden viewing :D

I would like to see your garden too Andrew if it can be arranged. Just let me know what day you want to drive down and pick me up. :P

Peachy

27.35 south.

28mm of rain fell overnight and it's still falling. It's been steady and calm rain without wild winds and destruction. I think the average for Oct is around 43mm so we've probably now hit the average. Consistent high twenties further along in the week with cloud. Perfect for tropical plants. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

I would like to see your garden too Andrew if it can be arranged. Just let me know what day you want to drive down and pick me up. :P

Peachy

I would say that you could drive yourself up here Peachy......but hang on, this is a Ford free zone.......I am on my way :blink:

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Bloody hot today...32.6, the sun was out and palms growing as I watched. Hope the forecast for rain tomorrow is accurate. I need some more right now, don't know where it all goes to here but no matter how much falls on it, 48 hours later its bone dry again. Andrew a ford free zone dear ??? Yes I suppose that the sight of such an elegant and classy vehicle could well inspire the unruly types up there to commit a carjacking or some such heinous vehicular related crime. Envy is such a terrible thing. No wonder you chose to risk your spine, joints and reputation by buying a nipponesian nutbucket. (still someone told me recently they have become reasonably reliable now over short distances)

Peachy

27.35 south.

No wonder you chose to risk your spine, joints and reputation by buying a nipponesian nutbucket. (still someone told me recently they have become reasonably reliable now over short distances)

Peachy

Yeah well I suppose the Hilux Ute falls into that category but the Red Flash is GM powered baby :drool: We don't get many car jackings or other vehicle related crime as it is far too expensive for criminals to live here..........they are all down in Bundy and up in Rocky :mrlooney:

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Beautiful rainy days for 2 days in a row now!!!! Can't complain!!! Love it!!! The irrigation is off... until further notice... Hopefully my joeys will enjoy the weather...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

No wonder you chose to risk your spine, joints and reputation by buying a nipponesian nutbucket. (still someone told me recently they have become reasonably reliable now over short distances)

Peachy

Yeah well I suppose the Hilux Ute falls into that category but the Red Flash is GM powered baby :drool: We don't get many car jackings or other vehicle related crime as it is far too expensive for criminals to live here..........they are all down in Bundy and up in Rocky :mrlooney:

Careful, I got a lecture from the powers that be after some old sourpuss ran screaming to the moderators, when I made a crack about that delightful metropolis to the north. :angry:

Peachy

27.35 south.

The rainy season has arrived here in central west Amazonia. There has been some rain everyday and this morning is cool and overcast. The Negro River also has been on the rise now for nearly two weeks. And, the bridge across the river is now open so I can pay a lot more attention to my palm plantings on my land this season.

Here is what my part of the southern hemisphere looks like today.

imagem.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Had 29.4mm of rain overnight on Tuesday and lastnight have had 22mm. Those two events alone push us over the October average for rainfall. Really unusual October for us over here. Obviously the powers that be want to rain on the Queens parade. Oh well. November looks like being warm and stormy too. Garden will be loving this. Back up to high 20's by the end of the week.

BTW Peachy, nowhere is a "Ford Free Zone". I love my 6psd AWD Territory that now has liquid injected LPG making it as cheap as a Fiesta to run.:D

Best regards

Tyrone

Peachy

Careful, I got a lecture from the powers that be after some old sourpuss ran screaming to the moderators, when I made a crack about that delightful metropolis to the north. :angry:

Peachy

Well as a former law enforcement officer from one of the centres in Question.....me thinks I am more than qualified to make that statement.....as Cartman would say they will just have to "Respect my Authority" :mrlooney::mrlooney::mrlooney:

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

BTW Peachy, nowhere is a "Ford Free Zone". I love my 6psd AWD Territory that now has liquid injected LPG making it as cheap as a Fiesta to run.:D

Best regards

Tyrone

Arrgggg.........Keep it away from my driveway!!!!............Only kidding Tyrone, you can come and visit.......in another car!

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Best regards

Tyrone

Arrgggg.........Keep it away from my driveway!!!!............Only kidding Tyrone, you can come and visit.......in another car!

:D When I come to visit you, I'll hire a Holden Adventra just for you. Only thing is, can I afford the 20+ l/100km (US 14mpg) fuel bills to get it there. :D

Have had above average rainfall here for October and it's been great. Even had fog on Thursday morning even though it wasn't cold. Some reasonably high dewpoints after the rain.

By next week it will be truly summer like with mins around 18 − 20C and maxes in the high twenties to low thirties and the chance of precipitation with a bit of humidity too. I think this will be a great summer especially when you see the sea surface temps out in the Indian Ocean.

A strong high is edging in from the west at the moment and we've got strong easterlies blowing in from the interior. It's a dusty low humidity time when that happens but it's often followed by a warm humid period when the heat trough travels back off the ocean and over land drawing in all the moisture behind it. Time to get out into the garden. :D

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

:D When I come to visit you, I'll hire a Holden Adventra just for you. Only thing is, can I afford the 20+ l/100km (US 14mpg) fuel bills to get it there. :D

Have had above average rainfall here for October and it's been great. Even had fog on Thursday morning even though it wasn't cold. Some reasonably high dewpoints after the rain.

By next week it will be truly summer like with mins around 18 − 20C and maxes in the high twenties to low thirties and the chance of precipitation with a bit of humidity too. I think this will be a great summer especially when you see the sea surface temps out in the Indian Ocean.

A strong high is edging in from the west at the moment and we've got strong easterlies blowing in from the interior. It's a dusty low humidity time when that happens but it's often followed by a warm humid period when the heat trough travels back off the ocean and over land drawing in all the moisture behind it. Time to get out into the garden. :D

Tyrone

Hey Tyrone, a normal Holden Commodore will get you here fine.......I know that I am a 'Redneck' Queenslander but we do have sealed roads here :mrlooney:

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Normal Holden commodores cant make it out the driveway without dying. Yes the roads are mainly sealed, down the bit in the middle but you have to go into the dirt if anything comes the other way. Nice warm day here again, no rain, lots of cloud. I forget what the sun looks like lately.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Holden and Ford.... ha ha ha.... we don't have either. But I know if Scott has to choose between the 2, it would have to be FORD!! He wouldn't be caught dead driving a holden....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Football , meat pies , kangaroos and Holden's , all Australian ...:winkie:

Found Outside Rubbish Dump :rolleyes:, or Fix Or Repair Daily ..

must admit I drive a Foulcoon.. but the Holdens seem to have shrunk ,

and I cannot get my legs into them any more .

Actually (this is coming from a Ford guy) the Holdens aren't that bad. I did drive a VZ from Brissie to Cooktown once. Didn't have the lazy low down torque of the big Ford six though, but it went fine. But the best Holdens have Chevy drivelines, which is actually all of them now. Chevrolet make great engines, gearboxes diffs. Have a lot of respect for Chevy gear.

Beautiful weather today. Mid next week is low thirties and nice warm summery nights with some rain around. Just what the doctor ordered. I love this time of year, and it's only going to get better. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

I think you meant Fastest On Race Days. Until I got Henrietta I hadnt thought much about Holdens vs Ford because they were always cars other people bought. Anyway very overcast and muggy here again and so still you can hear the Holdens rusting.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I think you meant Fastest On Race Days. Until I got Henrietta I hadnt thought much about Holdens vs Ford because they were always cars other people bought. Anyway very overcast and muggy here again and so still you can hear the Holdens rusting.

Peachy

I didn't drive either Fords or Holdens until I became a Police Officer........then I learned from high speed pursuits and Code 2 priority jobs that the Fords didn't come up to the standard as the Holden Commodores.........especially those terrible AU Falcons....Police garage also had a ratio of 7:1 Fords coming in for work as compared to Holdens :winkie:

Anyway the weather here today is glorious being hot and humid........looking out over my driveway towards facing Island the Coral Sea is glistening.......just a pity I have to go to work later :(

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

You have to work andrew, those toyota mechanics dont come cheaply.

:D

27.35 south.

You have to work andrew, those toyota mechanics dont come cheaply.

:D

Yes very true, but you don't have to use them much!!!

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Got just under 30C today. 17C min and then 31C tomorrow.

After that this in Nov in Perth !!!!!!!!!

Wednesday Evening thunderstorm possible. Min 19 Max 32Thursday Shower or two, thunderstorm risk. Min 19 Max 26Friday Shower or two. Min 18 Max 25Saturday Shower or two. Min 16 Max 24Sunday Shower or two. Min 16 Max 25Monday Shower or two. Min 15 Max 24

AU falcons even made Ford people vomit. They weren't a Falcon. They were a car designed by a sexually frustrated robot, or an accountant, one of the two. Definitely not a nice Falcon. Anyway my last car was an expolice EL Falcon and it didn't miss a beat. Loved the thing. Oh well. Onward and upward. I'll drive a Holden provided it doesn't have a Holden engine or gearbox or isn't built in Korea. :D

I dont know anything about falcons....I have a fairmont ghia....a vastly superior vehicle in my book. Now on to the weather report. I saw a few hours of sun about a week ago but is been in hiding ever since. Very muggy here but hardly any rain worth mentioning. Its pushing 30 most days and in the high teens at night. Lots of spears and new leaves popping up everywhere and the coconuts are thriving. There's a lot still to go in the ground but until the rain arrives properly all plans for that ghastly chore of hole digging are on hold. Been throwing lucerne hay around by the truckload...okay by the bootfull...dont get picky with me....and digging in a bit of fertiliser. (another labour intensive and hideously boring chore) I have taken the risk and planted a sabal palmetto on the nature strip but hid it behind some geraniums so hopefully felonious fingers wont rip it up. The last of my neighbours moved back in last week so no more sprinting out to the line in the nuddy to grab clean knickers. Also means I have to make a serious attempt at getting all the weeds from the fenceline and overhanging branches cut back. Why is it that spring time when everything is looking marvellous means no time to admire anything, just work work and more bloody work. Applications from potential submissive males with big muscles and strong backs are now being processed.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Had a min of 19.9C and today is going to be hot. They're saying 32C and thunderstorms but I reckon we may hit the mid thirties, then a week of showers and milder temps, but not cold showers, just mid twenties and showers with nights in the mid teens thereabouts. Not bad for Nov which can be hot and dry as a chip most years.

Tyrone

Got to almost 34C today and then the thunder clouds rolled in. Got an arvo thunderstorm that actually soaked things around 3pm. Then at 6pm it came down again, but official readings are around 1mm. Whatever it was in the end pushed the humidity sky high. Dewpoints around 20C now and it's a warm still night. More thunderstorms tomorrow and rain for the rest of the week. Beautiful.:D

Perth slow to dry out as storms brew

Brett Dutschke, Wednesday November 2, 2011 - 17:57 EDTAfter a wet October, Perth is showing no signs of drying out with more than a month's worth of rain due in the next few days, largely from thunderstorms.

Perth may even double or triple its monthly average of 22mm by this time next week, with 30 to 60mm likely, mostly from thunderstorms.

It should be drying out at this time of year but high moisture levels have been contributing to well-above-average rainfall. Perth has just had its wettest October in 12 years. And the last six months have delivered more than 700mm, only 150mm short of the annual average.

With 750mm for the year so far, there's a good chance of overtaking 2008, when 808mm fell. It should become the wettest year since 2005, when 875mm was recorded.

Residents have experienced a big change from last year, about 300mm more rainfall, which has made gardens and parks more lush and given dams a boost.

The low pressure trough about to bring Perth's heavy storms has given northern WA several days of them. Mt Elizabeth, in the Kimberley had its wettest October in 39 years, gaining 162mm, six times the monthly average. Cossack, in the Pilbara broke a November daily record with 97mm in the 24 hours to 9am today.

Had a dumping around 1am that woke me up. Min around 20.5C and more rain on the way. 25C and very sticky at 7.30am. It smells very earthy and the backyard with all it's ripening fruit and everything being damp has that "rainforest" smell about it. :D

Tyrone