IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

elHoagie

30F (night one) - no damage

27F (night two) - no damage to three of them, one with a few brown spots on the leaves.

All 4 specimens have some trunk, but are not mature.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

24 degrees... around a dozen from 3 ft. tall to about 5 ft. of trunk. All showed some spotting but nothing major.

edit on 1/30/07... all of them ended up showing some damage... from 30-50% leaf browning/spotting. Nothing appears to be in danger of croaking.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

But overall they look pretty healthy still... for what they went through..

post-33-1168907503_thumb.jpg

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Fallbrook  

Lower level of property 15-16 degrees 2 nights

We had about 40 in 5 gal. containers in a shade house.

Very interesting 35 are brown mush the other 5, not a sign of any damage.  These were seeds from Montgomery so I wonder what was nearby that these five were crossed with.   They're in the keeper pile now.

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

Several planted around just starting to show clear trunk.  They're all about 8 feet tall.

24.1F, no frost, no overhead protection

No damage other than the normal minor leaf spots that show up during winter.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Damage, though not as bad as the other Archies.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

a triple planting in front and a double in back that saw at least 29 with no damage except what they get from dry winds that we get every year

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

(Cycadcenter @ Jan. 15 2007,20:49)

Fallbrook  

Lower level of property 15-16 degrees 2 nights

We had about 40 in 5 gal. containers in a shade house.

Very interesting 35 are brown mush the other 5, not a sign of any damage.  These were seeds from Montgomery so I wonder what was nearby that these five were crossed with.   They're in the keeper pile now.

Please keep those set aside!  Their seed will be gold, and I'd like some!  

Here, 24F low, no frost, minor spotting on several just-trunking (couple of inches) individuals.  

Edit:  Wrapped these, but no heat applied.  Burn on outside fronds and tips showing now, but still look good.  Maybe 15% burn.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

(Kathy @ Jan. 16 2007,12:39)

Here, 24F low, no frost, minor spotting.

Minor spotting?!?!?!

Unreal!

I had three small ones that saw 34F with very light frost on the foliage last year and half the fronds looked like tropicalb's photo above.

Frost and these palms do not match, but it seems they will take some cold.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

23.4 degrees F

I think they're dead. Majorly brown. EVERYWHERE! Wilty. Really a sad sight :(

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Several larger trunking palms in my garden... to 6 ft of clear trunk.... Most are severly damaged , but look like they will survive.

My Garden low temps... 26f... Official Modesto low temp 23f.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Of my 40 A. cunninghamianas nearly half exibit at least some tip burn. It's been several days since that 26F night. Most damage is to fully exposed Illawaras, some with 50 to 60% leaf burn. Upper fronds of my oldest cunninghamianas are bronzing out some. These palms have eight to ten feet of fat trunk and are 20 years old. All understory Kings show no damage.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Still working on the temp numbers, but 16 out of 18 days below freezing.  Most days 12+ hours below freezing, rebounding to mid-40's.  Official lows in Madera, 20's.  Some frost every day, but nowhere near as heavy as normal 28-32F freezes.  

Heavily protected, no frost on most foliage.  Protected location about 3' from south wall of house.  Protected with rope lights and 9' umbrella to protect foliage.  Hung large tarp from the umbrella to help trap in heat from the house/ground.  Showed no damage to protected fronds in December 2006 freeze (~24F radiational, crown temp never dropped below 29F).  Showed immediate bronzing of 90% when crown temp got to 24F during advective freeze.  More damage with continued temps in low 20's .  Triple planting.  Largest has 4' trunk, two smallest, just trunking.  Pictures taken today.

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

One of the younger ones.  I didn't initially wrap the crownshafts with a blanket (only after 5 days of freeze).  Crownshaft, spear and petioles still look good.  

photo5.jpg

Crown of largest.  After continued freezing, I am seeing more yellowing of the petioles and some rachis have buckled.  After the first day of advective freeze, I added a couple of towels to the crownshaft to retain the heat from the rope light before the crown temp drops to freezing.

photo1.jpg

It will be interesting to compare the two younger palms to the larger one to see how they survive.

---------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2/1/2007.  I think my protection was worthwile.  2.5" of new growth over the last two weeks, even with lows in the upper 20's during the preceeding week.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Photos were taken last Sunday. Will update w' closeups tomorrow.  Overall, just usual winter burns.

P4220076.jpg

P4220074.jpg

P4220022.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

A.c. "Illawaras..." about 12 of them defined the cold drains in my yard.  Along with W. bifurcata, they were the most heavily damaged palms in my yard.

Those planted in the cold drains...chocolate brown.  There is a possibility they are still alive, but I doubt it.  Those planted in the less cold areas, major leaf damage, spears look ok...even green down close to where the spears emerge.

I had fires burning close to the larger ones and they are in much better shape, green on much of the leaves.

I had three days in the mid twenties...lowest recorded temp 24.9 F which was in a protected location close to my house.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Hey Glenn,

You know the W. bifurcata on the north side of my house... did pretty good. Lost a couple of leaves but is very healthy. The one under my Mac tree... DEAD.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

(happ @ Jan. 20 2007,11:30)

Photos were taken last Sunday. Will update w' closeups tomorrow.  Overall, just usual winter burns.

Happ

What were your LOW temps? Pics of palms in this thread are of little use without temps! :;):

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

triple apx 6' tall completely black and the spear pulled out. Lows of 22F for a few nights  and many others below freezing. Also on the shady side of my house and did not get much sun throughout the day

Matt from Temecula, CA, 9b

Some Pics

Cycads

Temecula.gif

(gsn @ Jan. 24 2007,16:23)

(happ @ Jan. 20 2007,11:30)

Happ

What were your LOW temps? Pics of palms in this thread are of little use without temps! :;):

Scott

Two nights in the 30's [39F & 37F] so not very close to freezing but mid-winter always shows some browning esp on kings/veitchia.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Here is a pic of one of my Kings... Official low in Modesto... 23f... Low on my garden thermometer 26f.

Kings are about the wimpiest palm in my garden.

Jeff

kdam.JPG

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

In spite of the severity of the recent Arctic assault, a narrow swath along the eastshore of the  Bay remains essentially frost-free. I had  5-6 nights at 30-32, no damage at all to Illawarras, both Howeas, or Pritchardia minor. All the KIngs around here, through  Berkeley and around the lake in Oakland are fine, and our Palmetum in Oakland had no damage to Lepidorrrachis, Kings, Nikaus, Hedyscepe, or Juanias, as well as the Parajubaeas or Ceroxylons, or Caryota gigas.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a, at sea level, eastern shore of San Francisco Bay,where baymuck met dry land 100 years ago;  swampy  during the rainy season;rarely below 35F or above 95F;  Northern  California Chapter Vice-President and Oakland Lakeside Palmetum Director

Bob,

Your description of freeze damage to King Palms and Kentia palms would seem to belie the effects to be seen at the Golden Gate Palms Nursery site in Richmond, where almost every King and Kentia palm show signs of freeze damage.  I would guess that the palms weren't covered with freeze fabric, but you may have used overhead watering to try and protect them?  If you have the time, it would be interesting to hear the lowest temps you got there, and what varied protection methods worked the best for protection?

If in fact it actually did get below 25F there at the nursery, the amount of damage would seem minimal for the amount of cold.  I had some 2 years planted out Howea forsteriana and A. cunninghamiana palms in nearby Albany completely wrapped in freeze fabric prior to the first night of cold, and even so they got some slight browning of leaf tips.  I would guess the lowest temps there were down about 27/28F, with actual leaf surfaces getting a few degrees lower where the foliage was touching the fabric...

• 1 month later...

One 10' king with a brand new frond endured three consecutive days with 33F lows and another with an honest-to-goodness freeze of 30F or so for probably 4-6 hours.  Three smaller ones up to 4' tall.  No apparent damage.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

• 2 months later...

Four months later.... the 6 A. c "I's" (of various sizes) that are planted close to the southeast facing wall of my house have survived and are currently showing strong growth, after having about 50% leaf burn.  

All others...placed in various positions away from the house...have lost their spears and show NO signs of life.  Some that appeared to have a chance...deteriorated over the course of the successive 2-3 cold, foggy, damp months.

The "pooch pot" fires I burned through three successive nights did not create enough warmth to save plants that were planted away from the house.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

• 3 months later...

Like all my palms, saw 25-26F as a low, and experienced below freezing 5 nights in a row. This king has zero protection from the West, and takes a real beating from the wind. It's taken a long time to come back from being 100% defoliated.

Left photo - Jan 07, right photo - Sep 07.

post-662-1191083481_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

• 3 months later...

Reviving another old thread.  This is what is great about this board.  I was working in my plants today and discovered a tag on what I thought was a Archontophoenix alexandrae and found out I really had a Archontophoenix cunninghamiana.  I remembered a discussion on this board, and quickly found the cold hardiness info I was looking for.  This plant is a stretch here, but with global warming, maybe just maybe.  

Thanks folks,

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 2 weeks later...

Went below 32F at 330am, went back above 32F by 830am. 5 total hours of freezing temperatures. Ultimate low of 29.7F with 7.6 "freezing degree hours" calculated as discussed in the weather forum. Moderate winds varying from NNW to NNE all night, dewpoints in low teens, no frost. No overhead canopy in my yard. No protection provided. Photos from 4 days after the freeze event.

No damage from this event.

West side of house:

IMG_4146Custom.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 3 weeks later...

Three plants, 6' clear trunk

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

25% leaf burn

Fully recovered

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 1 month later...

(keiththibodeaux @ Dec. 29 2007,15:09)

Reviving another old thread.  This is what is great about this board.  I was working in my plants today and discovered a tag on what I thought was a Archontophoenix alexandrae and found out I really had a Archontophoenix cunninghamiana.  I remembered a discussion on this board, and quickly found the cold hardiness info I was looking for.  This plant is a stretch here, but with global warming, maybe just maybe.  

Thanks folks,

Keith

Keith,

How is it looking now???

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

Through the hardest the poor thing is not only alive, but sending up a new shoot.   Winds ahead of a nasty front took it down during the winter.  I drove in a temporary t-post next to it, and thank goodness, because with the horrendous winds last week I literally had to mumify it to the post.  It looks good though.  This must be a fairly tough palm.  It looks pretty ratty right now, for the reasons stated above, but I'll try to snap a shot of it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 3 weeks later...

One of the interesting things here is that there seems to be some variability in hardiness.  I have previously heard that the A. c. 'Illawara' variety was the first of the A. c.'s to get torched.  They are from a southern coastal region.  Apparently, the northern higher-elevation forms from more inland areas take the cold better.

The eventual height of this palm has deterred me from planting it, even though it's a beautiful and commonly-available palm.  It's hard to protect (eventually), and the ones around here always seem to look a little ratty after most winters.  Has anyone made a concerted effort to separate some of the ones that survived freezes and breed them?  I think that would be a very useful effort.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

(mppalms @ Apr. 11 2008,12:20)

One of the interesting things here is that there seems to be some variability in hardiness.  I have previously heard that the A. c. 'Illawara' variety was the first of the A. c.'s to get torched.  They are from a southern coastal region.  Apparently, the northern higher-elevation forms from more inland areas take the cold better.

The eventual height of this palm has deterred me from planting it, even though it's a beautiful and commonly-available palm.  It's hard to protect (eventually), and the ones around here always seem to look a little ratty after most winters.  Has anyone made a concerted effort to separate some of the ones that survived freezes and breed them?  I think that would be a very useful effort.

Jason

Hi Jason,

There certainly is a lot of variation among cunninghamianas.  I can say that, for whatever reason, here in the valley, the "Illawara's" that I've gotten are far superior in growth rate.  The first one I planted (96? 97?) still grows at my previous residence.

I can't say that they are any more cold tolerant than any other A cunninghamiana that Ive tried.

This was planted from a 5 gallon pot 4-5 years ago.

post-376-1207941208_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

This is the same Illawara in my yard, planted 4-5 years ago from a 5g pot.  The wind and rain did more damage than the frost this year.

post-376-1207941312_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Now on the subject of mutant survivors....Inge Hoffman's A cunninghamiana in San Leandro survived the 89-90 freeze, planted in the open some 25 feet+ from her house.  She collected the seed in the Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia.  It is now producing its own seed....many seedlings have been available.  They have proven to be for me, so far, slower growing.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

• 2 weeks later...
Now on the subject of mutant survivors....Inge Hoffman's A cunninghamiana in San Leandro survived the 89-90 freeze, planted in the open some 25 feet+ from her house.  She collected the seed in the Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia.  It is now producing its own seed....many seedlings have been available.  They have proven to be for me, so far, slower growing.

I would love to get my hands on seeds or seedlings from a survivor palm like this one. I've heard that some of the higher-elevation A. c.'s from the north are hardier, and it sounds like this palm might be an example. I like the "look" of this palm but I've been afraid of having to remove a fried one after a good freeze. I generally follow the rule that if it's going to grow out of a protected area, it needs to be able to handle low 20s (with some non-lethal damage). Smaller palms can be a bit less freeze-tolerant.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

I would love to get my hands on seeds or seedlings from a survivor palm like this one.

Jason

If you come to the palm society meeting tomorrow, I'll give you one!

Glenn

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b