IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona saribus

Alberto

To compare here a pic of one of my frost burned L.chinensis and another of my L.saribus. The L.chinensis always have the tips of the leaflets burned while L.saribus are fine.

post-465-064321300 1314706114_thumb.jpg

post-465-094222900 1314706195_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I like what you've used for scale, Alberto! I didn't realize L. saribus was that hardy.

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Nice Alberto, all of the L. saribus that I have grown have been less frost tolerant than L. chinensis. I have had bad luck with L. saribus and none of mine have survived lows into the upper teens(F), even under heavy canopy. So far, even L. muellerii and L. rigida have shown better cold tolerance.

Unfortunately, a shade grown L. saribus is probably my favorite Livistona. There is a nice shade grown L. saribus here in town that has been in the ground for over decade, but I can't seem to keep any of mine alive. I really love the massive spines.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Hi Jason in Orlando,yes,for me it is hardier then L.chinensis. The seeds were sent to me by Ed Brown, some years ago. I think he also grow it.

Tank,the specimen you shew in your pic is the green petiole form (same as mine) that is suposed to be a lot hardier then the´´black´´ petiole form.

Which varity was your L.saribus???

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Tank

come by some time I have the volunteering all over the yard --- these are from the tree that took 16F in 1989

I have 3 large wine colored petiole ones but they were injured by a lesser freeze in 1999 or 2001 but werent bothered last year.

Best regards

Ed

• Upvote 1

Hi Ed!

Do you still have any survivor of the seeds I sent you???

Alberto I wonder how livistona saribus and more resistant of Livistona chinensis !

minimum temperatures in winter in my city to -3 ° celsius

I have in the garden Livistona chinensis , decora, nitida, australis, no sign of damage from the cold, the wind damage of leaves livistona decora.

I have in garden also small livistona mariae and livistona rigida,

surprise : no sign of damage from the cold

I have small livistona lanuginosa,muelleri,drudei,saribus,fulva in in pot and sheltered spot in winter

livistona lanuginosa,muelerii,fulva, no sign of damage from the cold, livistona saribus and drudei, Small of damage from the cold in leaves.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Alberto, I'm not sure which ones I've had, as they have come from three or four different sources, I do remember some of them had a dark stripe up the petiole, but I'm not sure if all of them were like this. About 50 plants total were wiped out over the past two winters, a few in the ground planted out at 3 gal size.

Ed, I'll definitely try and contact you next time I'm up your way. BTW, what part of Jax do you live in? I go to Fernandina quite often and can take the eastern route up by Mayport Via 9a and the Dames Point Bridge.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Tank, (Jason), I've had good luck with my L. saribus too. I'd rate the foliage on my 2 as considerably hardier than L. chinensis and even one of my Washingtonia robustas. In summer, I've noticed the L. saribus has some discolored foliage as do my L. decora. Ed has mentioned that he's seen that too. He attributes it to delayed expression of cold injury which is the same thing I was concluding. In the past, I though i was looking at Potassium deficiency and had been bragging . Livistona drudei foliage melts for me even if temps are just a hair below freezing. It recovers the next summer, but deciduous palms are considerably less appealing..... The one (thats all I have is 1) Livistona that hasn't complained at all is L. nitida. I still love the genus and have seed of L. nitida and L. australis to sow.

Ed's garden is far more mature than mine and his experience far superior (I've only been here 6 years) but if you come up this way and want to see how my Livistona (and other palms) do here in Mandarin, just let me know. We're always up for a tour.

Hope you got some rain. We've been hot and dry for the last few days. Irene just gave us about 1/2" over 3 days. Oh well. Looks like its going to be a loooooooooong dry season!

• Like 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Tank, (Jason), I've had good luck with my L. saribus too. I'd rate the foliage on my 2 as considerably hardier than L. chinensis and even one of my Washingtonia robustas. In summer, I've noticed the L. saribus has some discolored foliage as do my L. decora. Ed has mentioned that he's seen that too. He attributes it to delayed expression of cold injury which is the same thing I was concluding. In the past, I though i was looking at Potassium deficiency and had been bragging . Livistona drudei foliage melts for me even if temps are just a hair below freezing. It recovers the next summer, but deciduous palms are considerably less appealing..... The one (thats all I have is 1) Livistona that hasn't complained at all is L. nitida. I still love the genus and have seed of L. nitida and L. australis to sow.

Ed's garden is far more mature than mine and his experience far superior (I've only been here 6 years) but if you come up this way and want to see how my Livistona (and other palms) do here in Mandarin, just let me know. We're always up for a tour.

Hope you got some rain. We've been hot and dry for the last few days. Irene just gave us about 1/2" over 3 days. Oh well. Looks like its going to be a loooooooooong dry season!

Keith thanks for the kind words some of mine may have hardened off over the years. But whether its deficiency or latent cold or jsut not getting sufficient water after during a dry spring. --- I live in a swampy areas so the soil has more nutrients

Tank I live down in Mandarin not too far from Keith (as near as I can reckon ) off of Hood road which is off of Philips .

August when I should be running drainage pumps I am irrigating it has been so dry.

Best regards

Ed

I believe there are 2 forms of saribus, green and red. The green is more cold hardy. When young (1 to 7 gallon) they are not very cold tolerant, this is also the case with most other livistonas. After about 6' overall they don't burn at all. These have been to 20 F with heavy frost numerous times and never a spot of burn. My washies even burned bad this past winter, but not the saribus. More cold hardy than a ribbon palm. Slow growing, planted from a 3 gallon in 2002. They love water and grow faster in the wettest spots in the field. I have quite a few for sale, 10' to 14' for $20 a FT. Email me at oviedotreefarm@gmail.com if anyone is interested in a large field grown specimen.

Jake

post-3901-009064500 1314907054_thumb.jpg

Here are 3 I sold a few weeks ago. My brother is 6', 250lbs. for size comparison. The customer hand planted these with a tree dolly. I'm not sure how, they weighed alot.

post-3901-077838200 1314907908_thumb.jpg

Edited by oviedotreefarm

L.Saribus (green petiole) has been tough as nails for me here. I recomend these guys!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

• 2 years later...

I believe there are 2 forms of saribus, green and red. The green is more cold hardy. When young (1 to 7 gallon) they are not very cold tolerant, this is also the case with most other livistonas. After about 6' overall they don't burn at all. These have been to 20 F with heavy frost numerous times and never a spot of burn. My washies even burned bad this past winter, but not the saribus. More cold hardy than a ribbon palm. Slow growing, planted from a 3 gallon in 2002. They love water and grow faster in the wettest spots in the field. I have quite a few for sale, 10' to 14' for $20 a FT. Email me at oviedotreefarm@gmail.com if anyone is interested in a large field grown specimen.

Jake

This weeks favorite palm for sure!

• 3 months later...

Now I'm truly in a cold climate here, and I have a L. chinensis that I over winter in the ground with minimal protection. I consider it a die back perennial and no..it doesn't grow back into a tall lush palm every year..but it does come back. Other Chinensis I have are in pots that over winter in garage and they never defoliate or show any issue from the lack of heat, although my garage doesn't drop below freezing for any length of time.

Planning on getting one of these Livistona saribus soon to add to my palm collection.

Have they been a fast grower for most...when it pots?

• 1 year later...

Hey ya'll, take a look at this Livistona species at a friend of mine's house here in Jacksonville , Florida. I first thought L. Saribus, but color is between both saribus and chinensis, Leaves also irregularly shaped and slightly cupped. Spines not as big as some L. saribus I've seen. Possibly hybrid. Comments?

post-7094-0-23502900-1436934027_thumb.jp

post-7094-0-84480100-1436934068_thumb.jp

post-7094-0-28012000-1436934141_thumb.jp

post-7094-0-89361600-1436934286_thumb.jp

Hey ya'll, take a look at this Livistona species at a friend of mine's house here in Jacksonville , Florida. I first thought L. Saribus, but color is between both saribus and chinensis, Leaves also irregularly shaped and slightly cupped. Spines not as big as some L. saribus I've seen. Possibly hybrid. Comments?

Looks like a L. saribus to me, but I'm no expert.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Looks like saribus to me too.

Here is a trimmed trunkpost-97-0-71297100-1436978030_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 6 years later...

Here are some Livistona saribus growing near Canal Point FL at 18 foot of clear trunk. The soil here is pure black muck, they are in ideal living conditions. I think this species looks rather messy (and dangerous) without considerable maintenance. 

IMG_20220516_122052[1].jpg

IMG_20220516_122124[1].jpg

IMG_20220516_122251[1].jpg

IMG_20220516_122407[1].jpg

IMG_20220516_122156[1].jpg

IMG_20220516_122637[1].jpg

IMG_20220516_122044[1].jpg

• Like 1