IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentiopsis kickdown

BS Man about Palms

I liked Mattys thread about The Beccariophoenix palms and I decided to mix the mini movie idea in with it...

I don't know whether to have growing advice withe pics or not....

probably should. Darn! more work! :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'll start with the Kentiopsis magnifica. This palm is fairly slow growing and not happy with too much heat, although they like more light than most people give them. It opens with a red leaf and DOES NOT look like a "king" palm to me as some have said. Notoriously slow and touchy to reach a large 1 gal size, once to that size are fairly trouble free.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Then there is the Kentiopsis oliviformis. This is the most common and easy gowing of the Kentiopsis family. But that is not a bad thing as they are very beautiful and forgiving of MANY growing conditions! They will take full sun, or shade. Clay, DG, sand, etc. Just generally happy and the more sun they will open with a bluish leaf.

Now my favorite!!!! Here is the Kentiopsis piersoniorum. B) This is the slowest growing and in many ways the most tempramental of the Genus. Most around are from the IPS biennial to New Caledonia in 2000. (Wish I went!!!) These palms germinate easy, and I think grow ok, but I suspect most deaths have been from people trying to speed them up. Too much water, too dry, to light a mix, too heavy, too little light, too much sun...all of the above. What I have found is that they take and like more light than most give, but mostly if it is growing and looks happy, LEAVE IT ALONE! :) They will eventually get bigger! :)

And another angle .... I DO love them!

Last, but not least is the Kentiopsis pyriformis. This palm is often mistaken for its rarer cousin, the piersoniorum. I put these posts next to each other for easy comparison. This palm should be the new favorite of the Kentiopsis world, It is about as easy to grow as the oliviformis, and just as forgiving of conditions. Yet, its nearly as colorful as the piersoniorum, and probably 3 times as fast!!! My particular palm should have more light, but I guess it makes it look exemplary! :D

I hope the preceeding will clear up some questions about Kentiopsis ID.. Ask any pertinent questions you would like...

Hey Bill,

Never attempted before! You really want to confuse your audience and well, leave them shaking their heads, click on to all four videos at once and look at them scrolling up and down! :lol: Ahhh, just another lazy day here in south Florida.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

How many of each species do you have there Bill ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I have several of each palm in different places...

Excellent Bill!!! Awesome palms there,especially the Kentiopsis magnificadrool.gifHopefully my baby will grow to be as beautiful after as little as 11more yearslaugh.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Bill,

Great job and great presentation! :) What's next on the agenda? Dypsis? :rolleyes:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bill,

Great job and great presentation! :) What's next on the agenda? Dypsis? :rolleyes:

Bo-Göran

Funny you should mention that... :)

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=29935

Oh, tell me about Dypsis Great Great Grandpappy . . . .

Ehhhh! Might as well tell you about the [expletive] WORLD!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice work Bill. They're looking good. That K. magnifica is really gonna start to grow fast once you plant it in the ground.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I see no photos... anyone growing pyriformis in South Florida(besides MBC)? BS Man has me wanting to try it, now...

Hey Bill,

Never attempted before! You really want to confuse your audience and well, leave them shaking their heads, click on to all four videos at once and look at them scrolling up and down! :lol: Ahhh, just another lazy day here in south Florida.

Jeff

Haha... I tried this and was Billed to the max. The voices were coming in all direction and I was thoroughly confused.

Beccariophoenix breakdown, Kentiopsis kickdown, Dypsis dropdown, Pinaga putdown, Gulubia getdown, Clinostigma clapdown, the list goes on..........

These are great by the way.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I see no photos... anyone growing pyriformis in South Florida(besides MBC)? BS Man has me wanting to try it, now...

Hello Andrew,

There's a few floating around now. Mine in the yard was one of the first ones that became available a few years back. In the ground, the top of the newest leaf is probably 9' now. It's going to be a great palm for south florida, just like K. oliviformis. Definitely get one in the ground as soon as possible.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I forgot something from when I did a 'video" thread before.... Most of the views are of the first video! I think they find out boring I really am... :blink:

Boring? Are you kidding? Thanks Bill, maybe we should create a special section for these definitive threads. You know, reference material.

Same with MattyB's thread.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim,

I had the same thought, but I'm afraid we would end up with a number of dilemmas, none of which are good:

1 - What is "definitive"? With single species genera it MAY seem simple enough, but isn't necessarily so. And we all know that even with Beccariophoenix (only 3 species) and Kentiopsis (4) there have been changes over the years. I know, easy solution to that would be to simply replace an older thread with a newer, more up-to-date, one. Still, there are bound to be other issues - see #2 below.

2 - I think it's really important to keep these types of threads in the main section, Discussing Palm Trees Worldwide. That's the sub-forum that gets the most exposure and that's where any and all discussion about cultivation etc. belongs. Having two separate sub-forums would probably end up being more of a distraction than help. After all, we do have a Search function here.

3 - Reference material is great. Assuming the author knows the subject. Obviously not an issue with MattyB's and Bill's threads, but I'm afraid there would be a potential for threads with wildly different levels of accuracy. I know, subsequent discussion in the thread can partly take care of that. But then it's not really "reference material". Then we're back to what this sub-forum is all about: Discussing Palm Trees.

Still, it's an interesting thought and I gave it extensive consideration.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 5 months later...

Well, heres an update of the Kentiopsis pyriformis today... no video though.

post-27-077062100 1329097116_thumb.jpg

I might make a video of the magnifica when it opens a red leaf though! :D

Are you sure that oliviformis isnt the magnificent King Alexander palmlaugh.gif I just bought three Oli's, the ones I saw looked more coconut like as mature specimens. The word "watermelon" was mentioned so confusing.

Edited by Cedric

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

nice stuff! I prefer to watch all of them at once, makes me feel smarter. Thanks for the vids! Would love to see the garden sometime as I live in O-side as well...

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Thanks folks.. :)

Jastin..it'll happen someday right now the weeds are severely outta control... even for me.

Jastin..it'll happen someday right now the weeds are severely outta control... even for me.

Free compost or mulch at El Corazon for us O-side peeps...That would cover up all those weeds in a hurry!

Free compost or mulch at El Corazon for us O-side peeps...That would cover up all those weeds in a hurry!

You mean like this Jastin?

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=21013&st=0&p=350330&hl=+%20+corazon&fromsearch=1&#entry350330

You mean like this Jastin?

http://www.palmtalk....=1

Haha, ummmm....yup! But did you know there is also free worm tea by the 5 gal buckets?? I live 2 miles east of El Corazon huh.gif

• 1 month later...

Well,

I might make a video of the magnifica when it opens a red leaf though! :D

Forgot I said this.... so here you go, for your viewing pleasure.. :D

LOOK AT THE POST BELOW :D

hhhmmm

Dunno why I can not get the you tube pic to show up.. ?

Wasted post

• 9 years later...

Bump for the palms formally known as Kentiopsis...  and I am biased and that last video just above with the RED magnifica leaf is KILLER if I do say so myself!

Chambeyronias now? :blink: